Author Topic: Reid, Ritchie, Tennant & Lovell - COMPLETED  (Read 26837 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reid, Ritchie, Tennant & Lovell
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 December 07 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Sashar,

I asked the questions because I was a bit concerned that you might be limiting your options by concentrating on Scotland ...

Though I live in South Australia, unfortunately I know nothing at all about South Australian records ...

I presume you've asked on the Aus Emigrants board?  Sometimes another pair of eyes helps ...

Best of luck,

JAP
PS: I notice that FreeCEN has an Adam REID in the 1841 census in a House of Refuge for Boys in Barony, Lanarkshire - age 15, a Nailer, b Lanarkshire.  Right sort of age ...  Perhaps someone with census access could check out whether this Adam appears in later censuses ...
PPS: Sort of interesting that the House of Refuge had Teachers of three trades:
Weaving
Nailmaking
Shoemaking

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 December 07 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi JAP,
Thankyou for your help and suggestions and especially for finding another Adam Reid that may fit.   Let's hope he was putting nails in shoe's.  That would fit his occupation listed in SA.
I hadn't put anything on Aus Emigrants board, as you said, may be worth a try especially if Adam has come through another state to get to SA.
Should I post on Lanarkshire for help and finish this posting here?
Regards,  Sashar
Researching:
Ireland: Farrelly, Brady, Bourke/Burke & poss Smyth/Smith, Connor
Scotland: Paterson, MacGregor, Graham
Derbyshire:  Richardson, Bryer
Germany/Prussia:  Hein, Nuske, Milich, Baum
Australia: Farrelly, Paterson, Richardson, Hein, Milich, Smith/Smyth

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 December 07 08:52 GMT (UK) »
If I were you I'd hold fire for a while.  Gadget might see these replies and kindly check later censuses ...

I guess Census Lookups for Adam the Nailer would/could be very general - most folks seem to be doing lookups on sites which cover England, Wales and Scotland ...  And even people on the Aus Emigrants board might have a look (sorry, I don't relevant subscriptions).

Best of luck,

JAP

Offline JoMC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 December 07 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if this will help or not:

The 1861 has 6 Adam Reids listed b. roughly the correct time.

Glasgow, Govan - aged 46,  Insurance Agent ,b. Glasgow

Galston, Ayrshire - aged 35, Cotton Weaver, b. Ayr

Fossoway, Kinross - aged 34, labourer, b. Portmoak

Glasgow, Barony - aged 38, joiner, b. Mullion, Perthshire

Dundee - aged 33, weaver, b. Ireland

Bothwell - aged 41, joiner, b. Edinburgh

on 1851 but not identified 1861

Tradeston, Glasgow - aged 21, hammerman, b. Glasgow

Glasgow, St John - aged 22, weaver, b. Newton, Ayr

At least the 1861 ones can definitely be discounted.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline JoMC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 December 07 09:48 GMT (UK) »
On to second cup of coffee  :)

I've been trying to see if there are any clues but I can't see anything definite at all.

What we know

1. Definitely in Australia in 1854 - a shoemaker/shepherd(b.c. 1825)

2. Married 1854 to Mary Kennedy (and variations). Children - only Catherine mentioned so no firm evidence to check up using naming convention.

3. Died 1898, aged 73 - informant a police constable (so only an approx age)

The Ross and Cromarty one is on the 1841. Father Alexander is a merchant in Cromarty. I don't see him after that - will check up on the family.

I don't see the Fife one 1841-1861.

I have looked at the Australian immigrant/convicts lists that i have access to but can't see anyone that leaps out at me  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline JoMC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 December 07 09:57 GMT (UK) »
There is nothing showing for the Cromarty, Ross-shire family after 1841 that I can see. No wills/inventories showing 1841-1851 for father Alexander. As a merchant I would have thought that there might be.

Gadget

Added - wonder if anyone has the MIs?

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 December 07 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Gadget,

Fantastic information and summary.

But, as you say - no real clues at all.  What a pest!

Sashar,

If it's any comfort - cold comfort I know! - I have some similar brickwalls.  Especially a Gggpa who turns up marrying in Australia in 1852 - obviously, like Adam and so many others of my forebears, having swum to Aus - but this chap of mine is even worse as he apparently never died ...

Regards,

JAP
PS: Gadget - 95 posts  :o
Well, that's what it says - and who could argue with RootsChat ...  

Offline JoMC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 December 07 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I also have mysteries and these didn't even move from Wales but they just appeared. My most annoying one is a Robert Roberts b.c. 1821. Father supposedly a John  :(

As an aside JAP - Gadget without the dot has 11111 posts and I quite like it (OK nutty, I know) so Gadget with a dot has taken over  :)

It's the same me. The aristocratic one might come back again one of these days  ;D

Gadget  :)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 December 07 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Gadget,

Ah  :D

I have to say that I was a tad surprised that you'd answered - I'd thought you were enjoying staying on the incredibly delightful 11111!  Surely there is some hidden numerological meaning!  Regardless, it's such a wonderful number it would be a shame to change it ...

I should have twigged that dotty Gadget (sorry - but you know what I mean) was not the same as non-dotty Gadget  ::)  I'm usually very much awake to the relentless nature of computers  :-[  and I even have a vague recollection of indications that you did post under more than one posting name.

Ah well ...

If anyone can find my James Christie ROBINSON - b somewhere (Glasgow or Exeter are offered on children's birth certs) ca 1835 +/- whatever, married 1852 in Melbourne, didn't die - I will be forever in your debt.

Regards to all  :)

JAP