Author Topic: Gorton Reporter 1873-1918, 1939-1970  (Read 22992 times)

Offline tony h

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Gorton Reporter 1873-1918, 1939-1970
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 December 07 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Thought I would check my names while I remember.  I thik they are mainly from Openshaw rather than Gorton itself but it's quite close and there are a lot of family links in Gorton too so I wonder if they might be included.

Hi Milly,
Gorton is a bit of a misnomer. It has had various names but eventually becomes The Reporter. As Eric mentioned earlier all the local reporters merged into one. As such the copies I was looking at featured Ashton, Stalybridge, Hyde, Dukinfield, Droylsden, Openshaw, Ardwick, Clayton - and roughly in that descending order of coverage.

So we might get lucky :)

Have a great Christmas
Tony
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gorton Monastery Manchester

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 December 07 17:06 GMT (UK) »
the main paper was the ashton reporter,after they printed the relevant amount of copies for the ashton area,they then stopped the press and changed the front page to the stalybridge reporter and changed one of the inside pages that had stalybridge soldiers listed in it,they did the same with all the other areas that the paper covered,eg mossley,hyde,gorton+openshaw etc.
i think ashton library has copies of all these different reporters.
its one of the best papers ever printed during ww1,they went to a lot of trouble to follow the exploits of their servicemen/women

mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline tony h

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 December 07 19:11 GMT (UK) »
[quote
its one of the best papers ever printed during ww1,they went to a lot of trouble to follow the exploits of their servicemen/women

mack

I think I'd have to agree with that Mack, such a wealth of detail :(

Tony
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline HOWMUCH

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 December 07 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annie
I have been to the main office for Tameside reporters . They do not cover East Manchester where Gorton is but it is the same newspaper group. It would appear that there are no places where original newspapers can be looked at . Storage problems ! :(
They can only suggest the reference library microfilm .
Eric

Offline liverpool annie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 December 07 16:56 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Eric - for making the trip ! .... I appreciate it !

Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas !

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 December 07 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mack,   

Thanks so much for the info on the McBrides.

Yes - Henry's is the one I am after.  His attestation papers say Platt Street too - but they are very damaged and there is nothing there about the night bombing or the two days, or the other address at Cardiff Street - so that's great all new info.   

Where did you get it from? So I can look out the original and put sources etc??

Also - William and Frederick.  I had seen William and do have a William with a brother Frederick in the area and think it very likely they are Henry's cousins but don't have enough info yet to make it definite.  (I'd need to check out some certificates and they are a bit further down on my list of things to spend money on :)
So again very interesting.

Did that info come from the same source?

Thanks so much

Milly :)

(So glad christmas is over and can get back to normal...ie chatting on rootschat :D :D)
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 December 07 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Thought I would check my names while I remember.  I thik they are mainly from Openshaw rather than Gorton itself but it's quite close and there are a lot of family links in Gorton too so I wonder if they might be included.

Hi Milly,
Gorton is a bit of a misnomer. It has had various names but eventually becomes The Reporter. As Eric mentioned earlier all the local reporters merged into one. As such the copies I was looking at featured Ashton, Stalybridge, Hyde, Dukinfield, Droylsden, Openshaw, Ardwick, Clayton - and roughly in that descending order of coverage.

So we might get lucky :)

Have a great Christmas
Tony

Thanks Tony, sounds really promising... Mack has added a William McBride who is very likely Henry's cousin.  There may be more info in the paper which could prove this.   

Happy Christmas all

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 December 07 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mack,   

Thanks so much for the info on the McBrides.

Yes - Henry's is the one I am after.  His attestation papers say Platt Street too - but they are very damaged and there is nothing there about the night bombing or the two days, or the other address at Cardiff Street - so that's great all new info.   

Where did you get it from? So I can look out the original and put sources etc??

Also - William and Frederick.  I had seen William and do have a William with a brother Frederick in the area and think it very likely they are Henry's cousins but don't have enough info yet to make it definite.  (I'd need to check out some certificates and they are a bit further down on my list of things to spend money on :)
So again very interesting.

Did that info come from the same source?

Thanks so much

(So glad christmas is over and can get back to normal...ie chatting on rootschat :D :D)

hiya milly.
sorry about the late reply,henrys details came from the 15th royal scots roll of honour.
william and freds were a cross ref from the CWGC and the gorton absent voters register for 1918.
theres a book in manchester library called.MANCHESTER SCOTTISH,by roger dowson,both william+henry are listed,i have posted all the info from my own copy

mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline tony h

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 30 December 07 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Milly
No luck I'm afraid with Toft, Knight or McBrides :( The Reporter relied on reports from rellies, and if your rellies didn't get the Reporter they would have no reason to send it in :( Not giving up yet though :)

And Annie, here's a St Francis' boy who appears to have made it  ;D as I can't see him on CWGC or BMD

BRAVE UNDER FIRE

Gorton Soldier Awarded D.C.M

MENTIONED THREE TIMES

Rescued Wounded Comrade at Great Risk

There is not a prouder woman than Mrs. Rowlinson of 30 Napier Street, Gorton, for her soldier son, Lance Corporal John Rowlinson, of the 1st Battalion, King's Own Royal Lancasters, after being recommended three times for the Distinguished Conduct Medal, has been awarded the coveted decoration. The news has also been received with much delight by the clergy and congregation of St. Francis', Gorton, where Lance Corporal Rowlinson was well known and admired. He was educated at the Day School in connection with the Church, and Mrs Rowlinson has received a letter from the headmaster conveying his and the teachers' hearty congratulations on her son's achievement. Prior to being called up as a Reservist Rowlinson worked as a crane driver at the Great Central Railway Company's works at Gorton.

Lance Corporal Rowlinson was gassed on May 2nd (1915) and after being carefully nursed back to health at the military hospitals at Oxford and Henley, he came home recently on a seven day furlough, and had only just returned to his depot when the news was received that he had won the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

The 'Gazette' says the award was made to him
   'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty of mending telephone wires under fire in the open , behind the trenches near Le Touquet'

In a letter to his mother, Lance Corporal Rowlinson describes several of the incidents which led to his bravery being officially recognised. He wrote:-
   'Since I arrived in France I have had a pretty tough time. There are only 100 left of the men who first came out. Our regiment has had some hard knocks. Our trench is only 30 yards from the Germans, and you can understand it is not much use for any of us to put our heads above the top of the trench, for we would soon get knocked over by a bullet. It was here I got recommended for the second time for bravery. One of my comrades got shot in the side, and I ran out and carried him to safety, but the poor fellow died about ten minutes afterwards. The first time I was recommended for the D.C.M. was at Meteren. I ran out, under a heavy fire to a man who had been slightly wounded in the foot. Another man helped me to carry him to safety. The officer told me he had recommended me not only for rescuing a wounded man, but also for my coolness under fire "the whole day." '

Lance Corporal Rowlinson also describes the work he had been doing in laying telegraph and telephone wires. 'It is a risky job mending wires and laying new ones. I generally go out at night to do my work, but the bullets keep whizzing past.'

(Gorton Reporter 10th July 1915)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~