Author Topic: ***COMPLETED***8 Bear Yard, Welshpool  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
***COMPLETED***8 Bear Yard, Welshpool
« on: Saturday 01 January 05 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please tell me whether the property 8 Bear Yard, Welshpool still exists.  My GG Grandfather lived there all his life to the grand old age of 90.

Thank you

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline bel_jon68

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Bear Yard, Welshpool
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

I would imagine that Bear Yard got it's name from the Bear Inn, which used to stand at 37 High Street (from about 1759-1898, then it became the Conservative Club). 

There used to be a Bear Passage to the side of this building, presumably leading to Bear Yard - I'm hoping to go gravespotting in Welshpool one weekend in the next couple of months.  I don't think Bear Yard is still there but could go and have a look for you if I get chance.

If there's anything other info you want on Welshpool, PM me and I'll see what I can do (lived there late 60s/early 70s and in late 80s briefly, still pass through from time to time.)

Bel
Researching
ARTHUR, ROBERTS, LEWIS and WILLIAMS in Denbighshire/Merionethshire/Glamorgan
EVANS and JONES in Montgomeryshire
FALLOW(E)S, JONES, PREECE and GITTON in Shropshire
and the list keeps growing...
(March 2006) Now looking for HINKS, SPARKES, INGRAM from West Midlands area

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Bear Yard, Welshpool
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bel

Thank you very much for the information - very kind of you. 

I could easily go to Welshpool myself as I only live about 20 miles away.  I only posted the request in case someone could point me in the right direction which you already have done.

I need to take a trip there because I also want to try and find my GG Grandfather's grave.

That could be the perfect excuse for us to meet for a coffee and a bit of grave hunting.............................. :D

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand