Author Topic: Help please Hans Jannsen Ahlfors born 1861 in Malmo - Swedish Records  (Read 10131 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please - Swedish Records
« Reply #27 on: Friday 03 June 16 08:19 BST (UK) »
    Ede did have some idea of a New Zealand connection but that might have only been some thoughtful thinking.   I do see Trenwith's on the lists from Sydney to NZ.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 03 June 16 08:25 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at the databases I have. There is no marriage for Thomas Trenwith and Mary Ellen Mahoney, and only the one birth for the couple. There are two issues: regional and rural registrations did not always make it to the central registrar in Adelaide; and a lot of Catholics did not trust the civil system, and did not use it.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 03 June 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
There are a number of digital records for a Percival William Lawson at: http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/BasicSearch.aspx

One of them states that his mother's name was Maude M Gibson. Also at the back it says that his parents were Charles Lawson and Maude May Trenwith.

According to Ancestry a Maud May Lawson married Jno Wm Gibson in Victoria in 1912.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 03 June 16 11:08 BST (UK) »
There are a number of Electoral Rolls between 1922-1942 for a May Maude Gibson:

1922 - Werribee, Corio, Victoria.

1942 - Altona, Corio, Victoria.

Ian

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 03 June 16 22:51 BST (UK) »
  That is great Ian and so many thanks.    Also this morning I received an email from a friend with whom we have been researching an ancestry totally different and she has found the 1912 marriage to Gibson and also her death in 1961 at the age of 86 which matches her age of 24 years in 1898 to Charles Lawson.   Altona also fits as that is where Ede's family lived - in Davies Street, and so does Fitzroy where Maude died for that is where the family were living for a while.   Only one problem is that on her death registration name of father is down as William and as we know it was Thomas Trenwith from her earlier marriage certificate.    As soon as I saw that name Gibson something clicked in this old memory.   I'm sure Ede told me that name when showing me an old photo many years ago.    I have another vague feeling that there were some relatives in Ballarat, but I could be getting that mixed up with another family I stayed with in 1956.
    So now I wonder what happened to Charles.   I've been sent a Trove extract of a Charles Lawson having a stone fall on him at Tarrawingee in March 1895 and getting a fractured limb - he was taken to Broken Hill hospital.   As a Miner I guess he would have been working in a quarry.  That report was in the Barrier Miner of Broken Hill.
    There was the death of a Charles Lawson at Broken Hill in 1921 but age is given as 56 and that makes a difference of 4 years with age given by Charles in 1898.    We know he had two older sons and that could account for the variety of Lawson names at Broken Hill.   One of those is the death of a Valda Lawson.    I don't think Valda is all that common a name, yet with one vowel change it is the name of Ede's sister.
     I found another Charles Lawson who died at Liverpool NSW in 1924 and his mother was Christina, but father's name was Lars not Jacob.
     So thanks for all your help Ian.     
Malcolm
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 03 June 16 23:08 BST (UK) »
Cheers Malcolm,

You said Charles had 2 sons, do you have the other son's name?
Also, what was Ede's sister's name?

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 03 June 16 23:14 BST (UK) »
Also, don't you think Maude would have remarried because of the possiblity that Charles had died prior 1912?

Ian

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 03 June 16 23:21 BST (UK) »
That's the most likely explanation, Ian. Unless the couple had separated; divorce wasn't really available to most people in that era.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 03 June 16 23:22 BST (UK) »
Ede's sister is still living so don't think I can mention it.    She is as much in the dark about the family as I think Ede was.    Yes I would have thought that Charles would have died before Maude remarried, but I have found so many cases where people separated and they just didn't bother
Tassie, Greenshields