Author Topic: A problem with Ancestry.co.uk  (Read 18780 times)

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry.com
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 09 December 07 19:59 GMT (UK) »
How annoying  >:(
It seems ridiculous that we pay so much for an ancestry subscription and then can't even access the records half the time.  :(
Oh well at least we've got these great xmas smileys to keep us entertained while we wait  :D  :D  ;D

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 09 December 07 20:02 GMT (UK) »
IThe other very irritating problem with this site is that under the name I am searching for between the years 1927 and 1966 at least 1 and in some cases up to 3 quarters are missing.

When I have used Ancestry.com I have had  this happen. I think maybe it is because they  haven't been transcribed properly. What I do is put in a surname that is quite similar, e.g. if it told me there are no Davises in a certain qtr, I would put in  maybe Dale, or something similar, and if it told me there were some in the qtr I want, I open it at the Dales page and then use the next page button on the Ancestry toolbar to go through them all until I came to the Davises. This has always worked for me.

Hope this makes sense! Judy  ;)
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 09 December 07 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Judy,

Thank you for the tip but unfortunately in my case the name I am researching starts with Z!!!!!!!  So it's the end of Y or the next is 'unknown.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 09 December 07 20:21 GMT (UK) »
just looked for this thread as I too don't do patience and can't access ancestry.co.uk - not the images anyway!
I may have found something to help someone and can't access the image to check  :'(
I'm having a cuppa in a minute to see if that calms me and a quick game of mahjong (should be working really).
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline podstar66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 09 December 07 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi wyndham
I have encountered that problem, at first I took it that there were no records for that quarter, until I couldn't find a date for a known BMD. So what I do now is, remember a name surrounding the name I am searching, on a quarter it does give, and search for that name, and hope that the 'missing' quarter/s appear on the search results. Sometimes I even reduce the search name letter by letter, ie for LYTHGOE, I would reduce to LYTHGO, LYTHG, LYTH etc until the quarter appears in the search result.
And at the most extreme, pick the year, quarter, letter of alphabet, then keep advancing a few pages at a time, guessing as to where the second, third letters of the search name will occur, then fine tune by a page back or forward when I get closer.

And I have been experiencing technical probs (with ancestry co.uk) with actually getting to the BMD page for a couple of weeks or so now. And I sent a message, but it is still not resolved, and now tonight I can't even access any areas, getting the process error message.
Hope this is resolved soon, as it is annoying to think you are paying so much money for a service you can't use!

Pete
Goode, Lythgoe, Parrott, Wood, Ashton, McCormick, Fairclough

Newton-le-Willows, Lancashire; Horninglow, Burton on Trent; Little Bowden, Northamptonshire

Offline podstar66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: A problem with Ancestry.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 09 December 07 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I have been experiencing problems getting onto the BMD page for at least 3 weeks now, sometimes refreshing about a dozen times would do it, but lately even that doesn't work. On sending a message to ancestry, I was told they were experiencing technical difficulties at the moment and please be patient, but to let them know if the problem was resolved ! To which I replied a few days later that it wasn't only to be told that as they said, they are experiencing technical difficulties and to be patient. I haven't bothered to let them know I am still not able to get to even the BMD select page. And going off other people on here who are having problems with ancestry uk, I suppose I will just have to 'grin and bear it' until everything is back to normal.
Tonight it the worst though, I can't access any search pages full stop. Just get the 'process error' message.

Pete :(

Newton-le-Willows, Lancashire; Horninglow, Burton on Trent; Little Bowden, Northamptonshire

Offline baseball

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 09 December 07 20:54 GMT (UK) »
 :)fed up tonight with ancestry can understand everyone elses frustrations.been ct off three times.messages appearing giving insructions carry them out nothing happens. more fed up .when i do get ob bdm keeps telling me no record.try something i know is correct still no record .  think i will pack in and watch cranford.sorry to hear others are having trouble  :-[

Offline podstar66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: A problem with Ancestry.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 09 December 07 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I can't log into Ancestry at all tonight.  I tried via Mozilla Firefox and then IE, in case they were the problem.  I get this very worrying message:

License Limit Exceeded    

What does this mean?
Your account is currently being used on another computer. Your Ancestry account provides a single-user license and can only be accessed by one person at a time.

How did this happen?

1.You are still logged into your account on another computer
     Solution 1 – After 30 minutes of inactivity your account will be available and you will be able to login from any computer.
     Solution 2 – On the computer that is currently logged in, click the “log out” button in the upper right hand corner of the Ancestry site. Your account will then be available from any computer.

2. Someone else has logged into your account
     Solution – Contact customer support at 0800 404 9723 (free phone) or +1 801 705 7620 (a toll call) to reset your account and password.

As I am definitely not logged on on another computer (and my husband just went and checked his, although he hasn't logged on to Ancestry for weeks now), the other option seems to be that someone else has logged into my account.  So I thought I'd ring the free phone number only to get a recorded message stating the office is only open Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm!

I feel slightly happier knowing that lots of others have problems too.

Lizzie

Hi Lizzie
I had this problem too, and tried both Firefox and IE with no luck.
I sent message to Ancestry. But got no reply.
I think what happened with me though was this.
I have it enabled to be logged in all the time so I don't have to remember my password... LoL
I then opened another 'tab' and tried accessing different pages of ancestry from saved favourites etc. but had no luck, so I logged out, when I tried to log in I got the message saying I was logged in on another computer etc. after several attempts and thinking i was getting my password wrong, I just closed the browser without logging out of anything. After that every time I tried to log in I kept getting that I was logged in on another computer.
I left it for a few hours, turned off PC and watched TV. When I came back to the PC it was ok again.

Pete

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 09 December 07 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Ive been getting that message error cannot process request.I hope we get re embersed on the subscription for the days we cant get access.
Isy
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk