Author Topic: death certificate online ?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
death certificate online ?
« on: Sunday 02 January 05 02:03 GMT (UK) »
hi ther, my relative died in France during ww1, and is buried there. does anyone know who i need to contact, in order to obtain his death certificate?.

many thanks

jim
WARBURTON, SHELTON, HENDREN, HENDERSON.

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: death certificate online ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 05 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

If your relation was English you can apply to the following address by post -

Overseas Section GRO,
Smedley Hydro,
Trafalgar Road,
Birkdale,
Southport,
Merseyside,
PR8 2HH.

Or you can go online as you ask at

http://www.1837online.com  and look in the overseas section for his reference details.

I contacted them personally by post for my grandfather's death cert.  Doesn't give much away though - all it said was - Killed In Action.

Wendy

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 January 05 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy, yes my relation was English, i was hoping it may have next of kin, he was not married, so it was his parents name i hoped would be on it, but if all it's going to say is killed in action or something similar, don't think it's hardly worth sending for.

I was thinking of paying £5 online to the 1837online.com to enable to lookup birth certificates etc, is it worth it and have you tried them yourself?.

Thanks Wendy

jim

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 January 05 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the Commonwealth War Graves site?
http://www.cwgc.org

Occasionally they have the names of next of kin listed in the register, but not always.

1837online is just the indexes so that you can order the certificate, no personal details on it.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 January 05 14:16 GMT (UK) »
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/
That is the URL of a free site to find GRO numbers so that birth certificates etc can be ordered. It is not nearly as complete as www.1837online.com but it costs nothing to try.
Death certificates show no parental information - that can only be found on birth certificates and marriage certificates [with often some fiction].
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 January 05 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Nell

already checked the CWGC, but next of kin was not in the register, think i will have to try and get hold of his service papers, but that all depends i beleive if they survived the german bombs of 1940 odd, thanks for the info on 1837online, i didn't realise it was just the indexes, i was expecting to be able to just download a death certificate, shows how much i know.

Hackstaple

will try the freebmd for the birth certificate, like you say it cost nothing to try, will let you know how i get on.

thanks Nell, thanks Hackstaple.

jim