Author Topic: Early NZ? birth help please Cooke/Cook  (Read 16955 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early NZ? birth help please Cooke/Cook
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mare

The "living issue" blank on Aner COOK's death cert. is,  ... disappointing ... but perhaps also, interesting ?

Mmmm ... I need to think about this for a bit.

Lu

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 13:26 GMT (UK) »

I think maybe Aner born 1901, was the Charlie, rather than William Robert.

I'll check the BDMs for William today.

What age was Aner (Wills father) on the 1888 death ?

Is it possible that Aner had a brother come out to NZ at same time ?
Also the possibilty that William Robert was born on ship out !

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thanks

Sorry... Aner William's dad died 1888 aged 75

Mk2 .. Aner, William's son is my lead and I do have his bmd certs, born 1901 NZ .

I can see I've thrown you with the Charlie bit which was all I had in my head to start with from family recollections for Aner's dad William Robert, maybe it was in memory of his mum Charlotte.. or not! ;D certain from all cert info now I have gfather Aner 1901 ggfather William 1861 (no cert) gggfather Aner c1813 and ggggfather William c? ( who married a McKuown, I typed McKeown previously but looks more like a 'u' than 'e' )

William Robert  Brighton NZ birth on marriage and death certs.

Finding the vessel they came on might throw light on it though  :)

Walter Robert we think Abraham's son was aged 15, 1861 possibly came out separately

Be back again later tonight, have a long day at work today and shouldn't be distracted by this!

TA  :)
Mare

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mk2_Zephyr

Long shot ?       Just wondering if William Robert's birth, "may" have been registered under the name of "William Robert MARTIN"   ???     [See first post in this thread - marriage to Emma 1895 - his name appears on cert. as "William Robert Martin COOK" - Mmmm .... wonder why he has inserted this additional name of Martin] ?

He's seemingly not the birth son of Aner COOK (and we haven't yet established whether Charlotte is his mother)  ...
just a little curious also as to why the "E" has been added to the "COOK" name at the birth of his (William's), son Aner Charles ?

Lu     :)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 11 January 08 08:46 GMT (UK) »
HI  :)

Options?

Birth lookup William Robert MARTIN?

Death cert Charlotte COOK?

Getting costly   ::)

It is a bit puzzling, he could have been raised by Aner and Charlotte from birth and considered them as his parents.  Interesting name progression William after his "grandad" then he names his son after his "dad"

I've looked at ships coming in 1861 (and after!) and not found anything on lists to match for Aner and Charlotte might have more luck on ships leaving UK (findmypast?)

I will give it a wee while before I order more certs.

Thanks
Mare

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 11 January 08 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Checked births, 1859 - 1863,  nothing .  :(

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 11 January 08 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Ok,
amassing the evidence, sorting the wheat from chaff.  :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 11 January 08 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mare and Zephyr

No, I wouldn't pay for a BDM search on "MARTIN" option (I just popped it in, in case Zephyr may have had time to look at that as well)   :)      It's perhaps the next move (after other avenues have not proved fruitful) ?

Charlotte's Death cert. might though be worth splashing your "last" 20 bucks on Mare  ?    May help just to know whether or not she was his birth mother ?

I'm in the midst of a West Coast search myself, so don't mind doing a few look-ups for others at the same time (ha, and I've got seemingly "unregistered" births with my lot also).

Just spotted this in a book - "Charleston - It's Rise and Decline" (Irwin FARIS) - has 5 or so pages on "Brighton".

"Once called Bright Town  ... was originally known as Fox's River (being near to a stream where Wm. FOX discovered gold in 1866).   Rapid formation of new town called Brighton which came into being January 1867.   October 1867 approx. 2,800 residents / March 1873, only 110 residents/ 1878 = 53 persons (dwindled to 18 in 1896-97).    In 1878 businesses in Brighton were limited to - 1 hotel, 2 stores, 1 baker and 1 blacksmith !      It is believed that the first white child born at Brighton was .... a James COOK  (hello) ?   ...  and 1st white girl, Margaret O'DONNELL - both it is said were born in June 1867  !  (hello again?)   [I checked 1867-68 and couldn't see James COOK] !      Name of Brighton Post Office changed to Tiromoana on 1st Dec. 1908 (to avoid confusion with Brighton in Dunedin) " :     Incidentally, Brighton at it's height, also had a BDM registry  / registrar.

I have no idea how well-researched this book is (the James COOK birth sounds a bit "suss" to me (I didn't get time
to check the girl's birth) ?       And a tad "spooky" that the "apparent first birth recorded at Brighton" was for a child named COOK  ??

Mare , who was the informant on Aner COOK's death cert (oh ... I'll bet it's the funeral director)  ?

Lu

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 11 January 08 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I agree Charlottes death should be the next certificate, unless Will Rob C  pops up tomorrow.

In regards to the wedding ages, never trust them as they always try to get closer for appearances.

Having a bit of difficulty with Aner snr, as hes down as a BLACKSMITH, MINER and VET,  ???

I will check for the Martin birth as well.

Could you please put up the 1861 census, so we can have a jack at it.  :)