Author Topic: Sloan m. Blair  (Read 8268 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Re: Sloan m. Blair
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget and Joe

Thanks for your additional input.

When I first started this line of investigation a cousin gave me my first clues. I found the Blair family living at Holms Farm, Dalrymple on the 1841 and 1851 censuses. My cousin said that none of the family continued to live on the farm and all left. He mentioned another family name, that of Sloan, and my written notes from him said "cousins marrying?". Now, could this be another generation further down the line.

I have not been able to speak to this cousin about this since for one reason or another so cannot question him further at present.

The MIs of Dalrymple mentions several family tombstones. Barrhill is mentioned on the one erected by Mary for William and other family members. Do you think this Barrhill is near to Dalrymple? Strangely enough there is another Barrhill in South Ayrshire with a "Blair Farm" which does a very good b&b!!

I have the Dalrymple MI booklet and could check out other people's queries if required.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy  :)

What surnames have you got on the Blair/Hogart(h) side? This might give some cousinship relationship further back on the Sloan/Fielding line.

Alternatively, it could be that one of William and Mary's extensive brood could have married one of the Blairs.

It's tracing them all that will be the hard work. I'll see if I can get any marriages for Mary's bairns  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Lilias Hogart(h)'s mother was Lilias Campbell m. John Hogart and her mother was Catherine Montgomerie who married Alan Campbell. James Blair's mother was Marion Richardson who married a David Blair. My gt grandfather was David Blair b. 1848. I too wondered if one of the young Sloans had married a Blair.

PLEASE DO NOT PUT YOURSELF TO TOO MUCH WORK ON MY PART.

I feel guilty that I should be doing this myself so would not be hurt if you said it was not within your physical or mental capabilities. That sounds a bit odd, doesn't it?

Nevertheless, what you produce is always very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy

My physical and mental capabilities are fine  ;D  It's the time factor that's the problem.

I've got some possible marriages:

George,- maybe a Mcclelland or a McFadzean (1914 and 1908)
Lilias,  - married William Rodman, Ayr 1904
Margret, - possibly married David Thomson, Ayr 1909

It's a bit more difficult for the males - they might not have married in Ayr and their names are not all that unusual  :-\

Here they are in 1901 - I didn't put that up before:

Barr Hill Farm, Carcluie Road, Ayr

RD 578/1 ED 18 Page 19

Mary, 54, Tenant of Farm
William, 33, Farm manager
George, 25, Joiner
Hugh, 24, Joiner
Lilias, 22, farm servant
Margaret, 17, farm servant
Charles, 15, Grocer
Alexander, 13, scholar

birthplaces as before.

James, Robert, David and John are not with them.

Not links so far  :(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, well done Gadget.

David Thomson WAS married to Margaret according to the MI. No other wives/spouses are mentioned. I hadn't looked at this booklet before with regards Sloan, only for the Blairs and Hoggarts! Margaret only died 1970, which seems like yesterday. What a great tradition this tombstone updating was. Is it done only in Scotland? Therefore, surely Margaret must have had living children to add inscription to the memorial?

I must do some vacuuming as hubby is out but expected back any minute. Help!

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Only Blair-Sloan marriage in the vicinity of Ayr/Dalrimple, apart from William and Mary, is  a James Sloan marrying an Agnes McCrone Blair, Coylton, 1895

Gadget

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I just peeped!

Thanks,

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline MarjorieS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 October 11 17:47 BST (UK) »
Judy

I'm new to Roots chat, but we have recently researched my husband's family.  He is descended from James Sloan, who is William who married Mary Blair's brother.  We can take you a bit further back on his side.

You have James Sloan m Margaret Reill(e)y.

This James Sloan's father is another James Sloan who married Janet Patrick in November 1775 in Old Cumnock - details from OPR marriage on Scotland's people.

Margaret's parents were William Reill(e)y and Agnes Howat(?)- details from Margaret's death certificate - she died 15/12/1887.

We could share the family tree with you giving more details of William's brothers if you are interested.

Marjorie

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 October 11 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hello

It's always nice to hear from another Blair ancestor. Not too sure of my Blair relationship though. It's a bit suspect!!

Any way, as regards the Sloans, I got into a real mess trying to tie them up and I have someone named Mungo Sloan as William and James's father so I must be wrong.

I am on GenesReunited so you could view my tree on there if you are a subscriber?

I will wait and see what you think.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire