Author Topic: Farmer Christopher SPILLER in Devon  (Read 14726 times)

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Farmer Christopher SPILLER in Devon
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 05 January 08 22:56 GMT (UK) »
woohoooooo MMM ...how great to finally know her name .... :o :D :D

will look around for you ...
deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 06 January 08 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi MMM

I cannot find anything for Charlotte Hayer on IGI. In 1841 there are no Hayers living in North Curry although there are some in other parishes.....

I looked around the area where Christopher and Ann as well as William and Charlotte are in 1841 and did find this interesting family , which somehow has to link up with Ann Leaky, Christopher and Charlotte's daughter.

Wrantage, North Curry
John Leaky 30 farmer
Mary  " 30
John " 13
Henry 10
Mary Jane 9
Elizabeth 7
Emma ? 5
Arbert 3
Julett Jane 2
Sarah 6m
all born in county

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 February 08 02:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm going to throw a wrench into the works here and see if you can MAYBE make a connection, if you get this far back with your Spillers.

I have a Hannah Spiller born in Branscombe Devon in 1805. Her parents were Robert Spiller and Sarah Bishop Matthews.  Hannah married William Burrow at Branscombe on Dec 13, 1836. William was born in Ottery St Mary (OSM) in 1808 and his parents were James Burrow and Sarah (possibly Sarah Skinner).
Anyway William & Hannah Burrow had 4 children all born in OSM - William (b 1837), Sarah Spiller Burrow (b 1839), Mary (b 1840) and Elizabeth (b 1846).

The connection obviously is to my Burrow Family. Anyway I have quite a bit of info about the Spillers and Matthews of Colyton and Ottery St Mary - if you should be able to make any connection.

I dont have any Christopher Spiller (so far), but I do have an Abraham Spiller married to Betty Jeffrey and the above mentioned son named Robert Spiller born 1775 in Colyton, Devon. 

I also have a Philip Matthews married to Sarah Bishop. They had 8 children. One was Robert Matthews who married Jane Hunt. Their grandson Robert Henry Hunt Matthews married Elizabeth Burrow (another connection). The older Robert Matthews sister was Sarah Bishop Matthews mentioned above who married Robert Spiller in Colyton in 1798.

I know its confusing, but if you should happen to make any connection, I'd be happy to help.

First question is - how far from OSM and Colyton is North Curry? If I recall my map - Curry is way over on the east border close to Somerset, right? OSM and Colyton are in the same general area of East Devon.

Dont bother searching for this tree - I have everything I need. I'm just interested in knowing if your Spillers and my Spillers are related, or not.

Thanks.

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 February 08 02:24 GMT (UK) »
I went  looking through my Spiller info and found this - it may be relevant, since it mentions Membury.  It comes from the A2A archives.

FILE - Abraham Spiller, labourer - ref. 2845 A-99/PO2/62 - date: 1822
[from Scope and Content] Now in Membury, he was born in Chardstock, Dorset where his parents belonged, he is now 50, when he was 3 he went to live with his grandmother in Yarcombe and stayed with her until he was 30 when he went to Thurdleborough and married and returned to Yarcombe with his wife and rented a dairy of 20 cows from Mr Robert Spiller at £10 a cow where he lived for 14 years, he moved to Hunthay in Axminster and took another dairy of 12 cows from Mr John Baker for a year at £11 a cow he then took 20 cows for the next year at £12 and continued for 3, he then moved to Dalwood and took a house at 40s a year and lived there for 12 months, he then moved to Membury and rented a house from Mr Samuel Harvey at £3 a year and has lived there for five years

1822 less 50 years is 1772. So this Abraham Spiller was born around 1772
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline BluffNZ

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Burrow Digger, I see you referred to an Abraham Spiller in your family. I am trying to find out the parents of Sarah Mary Spiller (http://www.ramefamilytree.co.uk/ind210.html).  It has been suggested it is Abraham Spiller (1732-1805) and Elizabeth Jeffery. I am trying to connect my Sarah Mary Spiller into Wiki Tree but the Abraham Spiller (https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Spiller-422) on Wiki Tree daughter Sarah married a White.  Just hoping you might be able to confirm or deny if they are in your tree. Thanks and here's hoping!