Author Topic: FindMyPast disappointing Christmas present  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FindMyPast disappointing Christmas present
« on: Wednesday 12 December 07 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I have been given an early Christmas present  by my OH.  Six months with FindMyPast's Explorer.

In the past I have had and have heard others complain about Ancestry's being too far reaching when searching the census.  But FindMyPast I find useless unless you know PRECISELY  the name, age, where born, where living, county and there is a space for occupation.  If you have all the info that's fine but lots of times we don't and there is no opportunity to browse others that might give a clue.

And as for their Military records - it says "Search all Military Records 1656 - 1994"  and when you put in details of say your uncle Fred all you get back is the opportunity to search Births, Marriages and Deaths in the Armed Forces. 

Unless I am missing something I have to say I find the whole site totally disappointing.   I would like to hear views from other Rootschatters,

Regards, Abiam

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: FindMyPast disappointing Christmas present
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Never heard of it.  What's FindMyPast? 
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry , it's
Find my Past

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Love your robin, Abiam. It's a lot better than my effort at art class a few weeks ago. It turned out more like a cross between a pigeon and a pheasant.

;D ;D ;D ;D

I need to work on birds more often!

As for FindMyPast, I think that rootschat supplies all my needs at this point. I wouldn't mind making a donation to this site if they desperately needed funding!

Shush!   

Judy

Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Judy,
Pleased you like Robin!

I totally agree I have had loads of help from Rootschat and really appreciate their efforts.  I would also donate to this great service.  You feel as if you belong and are welcome.

Whereas have a word with the above people (first post) and you are treated to a standard unhelpful reply!  I can't remember the exact price but it was not too far short of 60 pounds for 6 months and all I've found are things I already knew!

Looking forward to other views,
Abiam

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 14:19 GMT (UK) »

as I recall, places in their census transcription are based more on registration district than village/hamlet.
so unless you know that, you can have trouble finding people.

Overall, I prefer FMPs transcriptions for accuracy...

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Pauline, the transcription is second to none.   ;)

I like Findmypast for the fact that you can search for census by address, yes ok you have to know the address but it has been a useful facility to me on a number of occasions.

I also find that searching for census returns can be easier because you don't have to fill in the variables.  You can just search on name and county.  With some of my more difficult surnames such as Traies I do a surname search with a tick in the box for variations and have often found people I just can't find on other sites.

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I have been using find my past for some time and find them excellent. Their transcriptions are good, (far better than ancestry) and if you find an error you can report it, it is fixed almost straight away and you are refunded at least one credit. The ability to search variations of christian and surname is also useful.

I have found the search by address most helpful on many occasions, and also the facility to search by occupation.

The site also includes full access to all the GRO indexes.

If you have got an explorer sub you have also got full access to the National Burial Register, Outbound Passenger Lists, Migration records etc. etc.

Altogether I am most satisfied and will be renewing when my current subscription expires.

Jennifer

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 17:03 GMT (UK) »
I too am a strong supporter of Find My Past. I have an explorer subscription. I feel that their records are more accurate and as an organization  they are more professional and more approachable than the big name brand.

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***