Author Topic: Millar/Stimpson Photographers  (Read 17602 times)

Offline woozle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Millar/Stimpson Photographers
« on: Wednesday 12 December 07 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My G-grandfather Walter Stimpson ran a photographic business in 22 Rox. St., Kelso in the late 1800s. I'm trying to find descendents of Millar of Millar & Co. Photographic Studio who occupied 18 Rox.St, kelso in (at least) 1866 to see if Walter was perhaps an apprentice of Millar.
The question arises because Walter's family were one generation back, Ag.Labs with father a grocer's carman. I'm basically trying to find out by what means Walter in a very short time after leaving home, became a 'photographic Artist.

Cheers
Woozle
"He must be somehere!!!"
Simpson/Stimpson/Wake of Berks/Oxon. Stimpson of Roxburgh, Scotland. Edwards/Hunt/Horne from all over.

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Millar/Stimpson Photographers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 July 09 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am afraid that I cannot answer your query but I wonder if you could let me know when Walter Stimpson moved to Edinburgh.   I am trying to date some photos and I believe that he moved about 1914 or so.   

I also have a photo which says Kelso Photographic Rooms 18 Roxburgh Street on the back - do you know who ran this?

I also have one which says Mackintosh & Co, Kelso.   Again I have no dates or even names for some so am grappling in the dark a bit.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Brina

Offline woozle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 August 09 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Brina
Why do you think Walter moved to Edinburgh? This is fascinating because it's a something the family talks about but nobody knows why or has any proof of whatsoever, a sort of stimpson family legend. It would be interesting to find out that he did.
As far as i have been able to tell Walter didn't go to Edinburgh  but there was a more recent Walter though but i don't know if he was a photographer so i'll have to get my records out for that and let you know.
The photographic studio in 18 roxburgh street was run by Walter(herbert) and his wife Isabella and later by my grandfather. I think Walter H took the rooms over from an already established photographer though this is just speculation.
I've never heard of mackintosh and co. kelso either so this is exciting as there weren't many photographers around at the time. I don't suppose you have a date do you?
I'll get back to you about Edinburgh.
Cheers
Ian
"He must be somehere!!!"
Simpson/Stimpson/Wake of Berks/Oxon. Stimpson of Roxburgh, Scotland. Edwards/Hunt/Horne from all over.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 August 09 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian and Brina

Just some info from address checks on the censuses::

For 1871:

18 xxxx: Robert Bell, photographer

22 xxxx: James Hall and family, a game dealer by trade

For 1881:

18 Roxburgh Street: Robert Bell and wife Agnes, photographer

22 - 24 Roxburgh Street: James Hall and family, a game dealer by trade

For 1891:

18 Roxburgh Street: Agnes Bell, photographer

22 - 24 Roxburgh Street: James Hall and family, poulter

That year Walter Stimpson shows as a patient at the Roxburgh District Lunatic Asylum in Melrose, a photographer by trade.

His wife, Isabella and two young children show at 5 Victoria Place, Kelso. Isabella showing as a photographic artist's wife.

For 1901:

18 Roxburgh Street: Two households. One that of Walter H Stimpson, photographer, and family.
Also Archibald Pitillo and family.

22 - 24 Roxburgh Street: Richard Allan and sister, fishmonger

This site www.edinphoto.org.uk/index.htm shows:

Walter H Stimpson had studios at Roxburgh Street, Kelso from 1893 until at least 1914.

Brina, I can't see any reference up to 1901 census on Mackintosh & Co, Kelso. You might want to post the photo you have on www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,298.0.html, the Photograph Restoration and Dating board and see if you can get some help on the photo.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 August 09 13:51 BST (UK) »
Brina

I think your Mackintosh & Co, Kelso ref. relates to a Thomas Mackintosh Lund:

Thomas Mackintosh Lund, Bridge Street, Kelso, Roxburghshire. Form completed 11 September 1889 - from a reference to a holding at the National Archives of Scotland.

Apart from Roxburgh Street, Kelso, Bridge Street Kelso was another area showing photographers in the censuses. Thomas Lund shows in 1891 at 27 29 & 31 Bridge St as a photographer. By 1901, the address shows as a Photographer (shop) and Thomas as as Picture Frame Maker.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 August 09 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just recently obtained a small book called Photographers in Southern Scotland to 1914 which was compiled by D. Richard Torrance.

Thought that I would just let you know what it has to say about the Kelso photographers in case that helps.   The website Monica attached in good, I have used in myself to try to date photos taken in Edinburgh.

BELL Agnes 1886-1893 18 Roxburgh Street, Kelso

BELL Robert
1878-1893 18 Roxburgh Street, Kelso (Kelso Photographic Rooms)
1881 Photographer aged 44, b. Galashiels, resident 18 Roxburgh Street, Kelso, wife Agnes B.
A later carte-de-visite states that "Negatives kept.   Copies can be had at 4/6 per doz and 2/6 per half doz".

BRODIE Christina 1881 Photographer's assistant, aged 28, b. Glasgow, niece of Andrew Rutherford, plumber, resident 60 Roxburgh Street, Kelso.

FRAIN Robert 1867 14 Square, Kelso

FRIAR Robert (also portrait painter)  1878 St. Leonards Kelso.

LUND Margaret D.  1881 Photographer aged 44, b. Kelso, resident 29 Bridge Street, Kelso.   Sister of Mary A. Mackintosh.

MCGREGOR Alexander 1903-1914+ 29 Bridge Street, Kelso.

MACKINTOSH James & Co.  1867-1900 27 Bridge Street, Kelso.   A carte-de-visite states that he was "Photographer to HRH the Prince of Wales".

MACKINTOSH Mary A.  1881  Artist photographer, aged 25, b. Kelso, resident 29 Bridge Street, Kelso, sister of Margaret D Lund.

MIDDLEMASS Joseph
1878 Forrest Field, Kelso
1881 Photographer aged 56, b. Kelso, resident 45 Horsemarket Kelso with wife Margaret Purves M.
1882-1889 45 Horse Market, Kelso.

MILLAR John & Co.
1866-1867 18 Roxburgh Street, Kelso, watchmakers and photographers.

PATTERSON James
1881 Photographer aged 33, b. Kelso, resident 52 Horse Market, Kelso, wife Elizabeth P.

STIMPSON Walter H.
1893 36 Roxburgh Street, Kelso
1893 36 Union Street, Kelso
1895-1900 18 Roxburgh Street, Kelso (1895-97 "Simpson")
1903-1914+ 22 Roxburgh Street, Kelso

Hope this information is useful and helps. Astonishing to see that there were so many photographers in a town the size of Kelso.     I think that most of the information was taken from business Directories and the 1881 Census for Scotland.

Brina

Offline woozle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, Brina
the wife has just had to sit me up against the fridge and offer me a wee dram to revive me. Amazing. Quite a bit I didn't know there and would probably never have found either. Thanks. Really thanks.  This website and the people on it never cease to amaze me. I've been short of time for many months but these new leads have given me a new direction to go in and certainly have re-kindled the enthusiam that has been missing for quite a few months now (the wife will not be happy about this and may well deprive me of future drams).
Brina, as soon as i get hold of my records I'll let you know about the Walter I know.
I'll now print the info up and chew it over long into the night (another thing the wife will not be happy about) ;D and re-post after digesting.
Thanks both of you again.
Ian
"He must be somehere!!!"

Offline woozle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 August 09 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am afraid that I cannot answer your query but I wonder if you could let me know when Walter Stimpson moved to Edinburgh.   I am trying to date some photos and I believe that he moved about 1914 or so.   

I also have a photo which says Kelso Photographic Rooms 18 Roxburgh Street on the back - do you know who ran this?

I also have one which says Mackintosh & Co, Kelso.   Again I have no dates or even names for some so am grappling in the dark a bit.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Brina

Hi Brina
So I have hunted here and there and as far as we are aware Walter never lived in Edinburgh. There is a gap in his life from 1882-5 but that is about it. He died in 1918 and most of his life was well documented because of his health problems. 
Walter's son George had a son called walter who was a photographer as far as I know but he would have been a bit too late maybe.
18 Roxburgh street was occupied by Walter Herbert from 1895-1902 but then they moved to 22 and I don't know what happened after to number 18. My grandfather Charles took over the photographic business until 1928.
Not much help to yo I'm afraid. If you find anything would you let me know?
Cheers
Ian
"He must be somehere!!!"

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 August 09 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Thought I would just send you this link as this must be how I thought Walter moved to Edinburgh.   

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_CAB_P/0_cabinet_prints_stimpson_kelso_stewart.htm

This website is fairly useful for a number of photographers.   Maybe it was the grandson but at least you can look at it for yourself.

Best wishes,
Brina