Author Topic: Edith Royle Chadwick : 1891 and 1901  (Read 29159 times)

Offline eg1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Royle Chadwick : 1891 and 1901
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 April 09 17:49 BST (UK) »
Maybe I can give some information about Edith Royle Chadwick. She was my Grandmother, so I know a lot about her and her family. Indeed her father married twice, first to Suzanna Lister with whom he had 2 children and later to Edith Hampson (my great grandmother). They had 10 children! I know some of the stories about my great uncles and met some of my great aunts (Edith Royle's sisters). The descendants of the first marriage are living in Brazil. I've mailed with one of them. Afterall it's a small world. The information I have of their birth and marriage dates is reasonably accurate.
I hope to obtain some information about my great grandfather Benjamin (Towler). The only thing I know is that he was born in 1849/1850 in hotel The Bull's Head in Burnley (Lancashire), there was enough money for a good education and that he was deputy secretary of Burnley in his thirties. He died in Moss side near Manchester in 1907.
I'm very interested in information about his mother or father.
Like to hear from any of you!
EG1

Offline eg1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 10:14 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone who could confirm the marriage between Benjamin Chadwick (b.1849/1850 Burnley) and Edith Hampson?? According to the post of Mo this marriage was in 1890, Holy Tr. South Shore Blackpool.   But I know they had their first child in 1884 and their second in 1885, so I think the marriage should have taken place well before 1890??
EG

Offline vaison

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi eg1,
I'm very interested to hear you are a descendant of Edith Royle Chadwick. If you send me a PM we can exchange further info.
Vaison
Ellison/Rogers/Pilkington/Wood(s)Moss/Mawdsley/Keegin (Keegan,Keagan,Keegen)
Orange/Morrisroe/Webster/Hoole/Shaw/Hague/Herbert
Hurt/Turner/Dean

Offline eg1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Vaison,
I just send a post to Suz (see below)
If you want some info about Edith Royle, I think I can help you with that. From my grandmother herself (she died in 1988) and from some research by my uncle a have a reasonable complete picture of the Chadwick family. Unfortunately it stops with Benjamin.
Like I said before I only know that he was born in hotel Bull's head in Burnley.
So if you have some questions, ask me.

Thank you for your quick reaction Suz..
Looking for my great grandfather Benjamin Chadwick on internet I accidentally saw your "discussions" last December with Vaison ?? and Mosiefish ?? on this site. The primary question was the whereabouts of Edith Royle Chadwick who happened to be my grandmother.
I have a lot of information for Vaison?? about Edith Royle and her family (first hand), but I have also some questions about all the information you and Mosiefish found out.

For instance it appears that Benjamin (Towler) Chadwick (b. 1849/50 Burnley, Lancs. ) married for the second time in 1890 with a Edith Hampson (b.1860 Sale Lancs.). This is in line with the info Mo found that his first wife Susanna Lister (b.1949) died in 1890!!
But I know from my grandmother that she had 10 sisters and brothers, the first one Mary was born in 1884 (she died soon afterwards), the second (Gertrude) in 1885, also Lilian and Beatrice all four born before 1990! I'm sure they are the daughters of Edith Hampson and not of his first wife of whom he had only two boys.
So Benjamin had some (unlawful) children whilst married with his first wife or the marriagedate of Benjamin x Edith is not 1890 but earlier??
Can you do me a favor and find out if 1890 is really the correct marriage date?

Furthermore Mo mentioned a 1841 censuslisting of  of the fam. Towler (according to her in the transcription the name is wrongly spelled "Fowles"??) Regretfully she didn't put it in her post. Maybe you can find this info to?

I hope you can find anything, thank you
Regards EG

(Please don't mind my English, I'm Dutch so its still somewhat difficult)

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi EG,

Mosiefish is still around  ;D ;D  I think this is the one I found but not entirely sure.  Will have to look back and check. 

1841 census:
HO107/508/4 Folio 37 page 22

Finsley, Habergham Eaves

Thos Towler/Fowles?, 50, Weaver
Hannah, 45
Benjn, 19 or 17, Weaver
Alice, 13,
Robt, 8
/
John Laycock, 11
John Towler/Fowles, 21, Joiner
Jane  ", 28
Alice ", 1

All born in County.

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Mosie - am just going through this again for eg1 - and it looks like Benjamin's marriage to Edith was reg same quarter as the death of Susannah jane - although in different districts

But there is a possibiity susannah jane and Edith were related - I'm looking into that at the moment -so bear with me - it may take a while -and I could be mistaken

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz,

Nice to know you are on the trail too - had to refresh the old memory cells for this one  ;D

Eg,  you can check the marriage out in 1890 yourself by going to www.lancashirebmd.org.uk

Regards,
Mo

Offline eg1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mo,
I think it's the same family; address is the same!!
Thos for Thomas and Hannah are there.
Only the age of both (and their children) is a littlebit funny.
In your output (last December) of Census 1851 Thomas is 62; 10 years earlier (1841) he is 50 (12 years diff.)??   In 1951 Hannah is 53; 10 years before she is 45 (8 years diff.)
It seems the age of this people was not so relevant?
Age John; 21-> 30 , OK
Age Robert 8-> 11 years, only 3 years older in 10 years??
Benjamin (other than "our" Benj.) and Jane have probably left the house?
But in the 1841Census there is no age given for Alice: is this the Alice mentioned in the Census 1851"Alice Grand? 10, Nurse??? or is the Alice, mother of "our" Benjamin. She should be 12 in 1841!
So, nobody said it was simple!!

But I'm gratefull for this info and I keep puzzling. Again thanks
Regards, EG

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Eg,

On the 1841 census ages above 15 were supposedly rounded down to the nearest 0 or 5 so if Thomas was 62 on the 1851 census he would have been 50 on the 1841 census.  The image is really bad on the 1851 census so Hannah could have been 55.  Robert was 8 on the 1841 census and 18 on the 1851 (my fault I typed 11).  Your Alice was 13 on the 1841 census and there was also another Alice aged 1 who I think was John and Jane Towlers child.  She is the Alice aged 10 on the 1851 census.

Hope this makes sense.

Mo