Author Topic: Edith Royle Chadwick : 1891 and 1901  (Read 28984 times)

Offline eg1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Royle Chadwick : 1891 and 1901
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, Vaison and others,
Just a little time to spare, so have a look again on this site!

Vaison, maybe Benjamin was a littlebit impatient but marrying twice in the same year is somewhat strange. It is also not consistent with our familystories. Mo mentioned in December last another Benjamin Towler Chadwick, but he was in 1890 8 years old (b. 1882 Yorkshire - West Riding), a little young to wed. So I don't know who this guy can be?? (It's strange because the "Towler"bit seems to refer to the Towlerfamily?? a unique combination?)
Possibly the census recorded the wrong spouse, since Benj.'s wedding with Edith also took place in Blackpool (1890 at Holy Trinity, South Shore, Blackpool)???

The fact (is it??) that another Benjamin Chadwick was born (1882) with the suffix Towler puzzles me still. Within our family nobody has ever heard of him!

Again a lot of questions, but I must say, it's fun to work out!
Besides Suz and Mo thank you very much for all your energy finding out all the info concerning my family. Suz was completely right with her listing of my grandma's siblings.

Mary (died in infancy)
Alice Gertrude, called Betty
Lilian (died shortly after birth)
Beatrice
Edith Royle (gran)
Muriel Primrose
Iris Victoria (lived very long, >1990)
Eric Warrener,  -> the Warrener part as a tribute tot his mothers Grandfather????
Vivienne(twin) ->Indeed aunty Viv & Mona (lived also very long)
Monica (twin)
Julian Ellis

and also with the brothers and sisters of Edith Chadwick-Hampson

Martha called Patty
Elisa or Elisabeth called Lilly
Lucy
Florence (Edith Royle stayed with her for a while)
Edith

Sorry, I have to quit now Bye all

Offline vaison

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
What makes you think that Lilian (Grandma's sister) died shortly after birth?
She is shown alive and living with the family in Manchester in both the 1901 and 1911 censuses.
Ellison/Rogers/Pilkington/Wood(s)Moss/Mawdsley/Keegin (Keegan,Keagan,Keegen)
Orange/Morrisroe/Webster/Hoole/Shaw/Hague/Herbert
Hurt/Turner/Dean

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 17:28 BST (UK) »
Eg,

The Benjamin Towler Chadwick born in the June Quarter in Burnley 1882 also died in September Quarter of the same year in Burnley.  So more than likely he was the son of Benjamin and Susannah.  

Also the reason that Benjamin Towler appears on the same page of marriages as Annie Metcalfe and Jane Boardman is that his reference number has been mistranscribed as 1063 instead of 1068.  Hence there are five names on the page when there should only be a maximum of four.  

You can view all the marriages at www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
Jane Boardman married Walter Cragg at St. Chad Poulton le Fylde and Annie Metcalfe married John Whiteside at St. Chad Poulton le Fylde.  

Regards,
Mo

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Lilian is alive and well on the 1891/1901 (and possibly 1911) census

Gertrude is listed as gertrude A on census - the only one of the children b Blackpool - but I thought her name was possible Alce gertrude - which eg has confirmed - so it seems her birth reg was not in the name of Chadwick but in the maiden nae of her mother Edith

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eg1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all, just  short message. 
Sorry i.q. my remark about Lilians death, it was not Lilian who died shortly after birth, but Lucy (born between Murial and Iris) therefore she isn't mentionend on the Census list.

Mo, your conclusion about Benj T. Chadwick, born and died in 1882, could be true (and more or less logic) But in our family is this child not known, maybe I can ask a aunt who still lives.
Bye all

Offline Jaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 25 October 09 05:29 GMT (UK) »
I was fascinated to read your posts about the James and Alice Hampson from Cheshire as they are ancestors of mine. Can anyone tell me more about James Hampson? Who were his parents, etc?

Offline eg1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 15 November 09 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Nice to hear that there is more family of James & ALice Hampson on-line!
Unfortunately I couldn't find any family of James Hampson (other than his children). The only information on him that I heard from my Grandmother (his Grandchild) is that he was said to be the architect of Manchester Central Station, but I couldn't find any proof of this. However I do have a picture of ALice (Warrener), her daughters Martha and Edith an her father John Warrener (taken in 1867).
Sorry that I can't help you on this matter. But I'm still interested which of Edith sisters is your family?
Regards Eg1

Offline Jaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 00:47 GMT (UK) »
I've just received a copy of James Hampson's Last Will and Testament in which he names Alice, his wife, and her father John Warriner of New Moston, near Failworth as beneficaries. James Hampson's occupation is given as Land Surveyor. Looking at Google Earth, it seems there is a Hampson Street in Sale, close to a James Street, an Alice Street, and a Warrener Street. The Will was proved at Chester on 2 Sept 867 and states that James died 26 August 1866. George Peter Leigh, a friend of James' was an executor, along with Alice and her father John Warriner.
Martha Hampson is my great grandmother and John Warriner is my great-great-great grandfather so I would be thrilled to receive copies of their photos if that's possible.
Regards
Jaddy

Offline sjm2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 08 October 11 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just come across these posts, and consequently joined RootsChat.  James and Alice Hampson are ancestors of mine.  Their daughter Alice Amy married William Crook Massey - they are my great great grandparents.  The early censuses suggest that James was brought up by an unmarried aunt, Martha Barlow (who had an annuity) in Moor Lane, Sale.  I haven't managed to find anything else about him, other than that he was a land surveyor and he died before Alice Amy's marriage.  And nothing about his father in law John Warriner.  So any other information you have about them would be terrific.  I'd love a copy of your photo of Alice and her father if that's possible.
The architect of Manchester Central Station is listed as Sir John Fowler, and in any case it was built some time after James' death - but could he have been involved with the project earlier as a surveyor?

Regards
sjm2