Author Topic: Garty 1830 East India Co  (Read 3209 times)

Offline yenal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Garty 1830 East India Co
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi to Infobunny and others
Thanks for the information re Maria Elizabeth Garty, her birth and the passage of the Gartys from Madras to London.

Have just heard via Britishgenealogy.com that John Garty's wife was Frances Ethersey not Hethersey, and her family were landed gentry with a baronetcy in the family.   There is apparently a portrait of John Garty in existence in New South Wales, held by a Peter Courtis - another Garty descendant.
So it looks as though, at last, I'm getting some details of this branch of the family.   
Regards
Maureen

ps: took so long to reply because our computer crashed.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 January 08 13:19 GMT (UK) »
There appears to have been a Richard Ethersey in the Indian Navy. Possibly a relative? He died in 1857, in rather unfortunate circumstances - during the Anglo-Persian war, General Stalker committed suicide, and then three days later, presumably influenced by this turn of events, Commadore Richard Ethersey did also. The Times quotes parts of Ethersey's journals showing how he was concerned with the upcoming attack on Mohammerah, in which he was to command the navy.

A week before his death: "I feel more my unfitness to command. I am broken down, my head gone, and the terrible responsibility!"
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yenal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 February 08 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jorose and Infobunny,

Thanks Jorose,
it looks like I will spend a lot of time on the internet with these Ethersey people - unfortunatley, we only have "Dial-Up' speed and most times the best is around 40K bits/sec so it takes ages to search.

Infobunny, I obtained the Marriage Cert. for Maria and there was NO details about parents??? This was on the certificate
V18471128 73B/1847  WILLIAMS  JOHN  GARTY  MARIA E   

I will now order the other certificate to see if it contains any details of parents.

Maureen