Author Topic: Fitzgerald and Switzer circa 1828  (Read 2825 times)

Offline yenal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fitzgerald and Switzer circa 1828
« on: Friday 14 December 07 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Searching for John Bartholomew Fitzgerald and Honoriah Switzer who had a daughter Mary Ann Fitzgerald born 1828 in Limerick.

On various certificates, Michael is described as: a Jeweler, Gentleman, Army Officer.

It appears that Honoriah Switzer was a widow when she married Michael and they are both listed in the 1840 Griffith Evaluations in Hore's Street, Ballinacurra (Bowman) Limerick City, Parish of St.Michales, Barony of Pubblebrien.

Mary Ann married a James Stretton born circa 1812 in Killorglan, Co. Kerry, Ireland and they came to Sydney, Australia in 1849 on board ship "St.Vincent"

Any help -PLEASE - to find my G G Grandparents.

Maureen

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzgerald and Switzer circa 1828
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 March 08 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maureen,

Who is Michael ??? How does he fit into the picture ??? You start off by saying that you are looking for John Bartholomew Fitzgerald and then a Jeweler, Gentleman and Army Officer named Michael appears on the scene. What was his surname?

Christopher

Offline yenal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 March 08 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher,
The confusion arose because I had various BDM certificates on the desk about the Fitzgerald family.

The Fitzgeralds I am searching for are:

1    G G G Grandfather Michael Bartholomew Fitzgerald who in one document is a Jeweller in Limerick possibly in 10 Patrick Street, Corbally, Limerick.

2 Honoriah Switzer who married M B Fitzgerald and I understand was a Widow when she married Michael.
It is not clear if Honoriah is the mother of the next:-

3  G G Grandmother Mary Ann Fitzgerald born 1828 in Limerick. She married (at age 15) a James Stretton of Killorgan, Co. Kerry.
They came to Australia and arrived on board the St. Vincent in 1849.

On the death certificate of Mary Ann, her son (William Fitzgerald Stretton) states that Mary Ann's Dad was "John Fitzgerald, Officer in British Army"

Note that William F Stretton was born in Plomesgate, Suffolk, UK 1843 ie just after the marriage.
James Stretton was an "Outdoor Servant" working at Kirstoford UK and apparently became well off before setting out to OZ.

James died and Mary Ann married a John Garty in 1860 in Maitland NSW and my Grandmother was from this union.
On this marriage certificate, Mary Ann's Dad is stated as "Michael Fitzgerald Jeweller"

Hope this long story clears the confusion.

Best wishes,

Maureen

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 March 08 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen,

Thanks. That clears the confusion.

Christopher