Author Topic: Desbruslais In India  (Read 3615 times)

Offline mytree

• RootsChat Member
  • Searching Twig By Twig
    • View Profile
Desbruslais In India
« on: Friday 14 December 07 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Researching the Desbruslais family in India or trying too, but not had much luck with tracing the ancestors.
I have had limited success through the British Library - just wondered if anyone could suggest other places i might try or might even be researching the same branch?
Also my branch came to England approx between 1945-50, does anyone know where would i find ship and passenger details please?
Thanks
Mytree
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Adams, Augier, Bo(u)lton, Brown(e), Cooper, Delanougerede, Desbruslais, Drury, Fisher, Fleury, Fransz, Hale, Holdsworth, Kirk, Mandelli, Michel, Robinson, Skidmore, Thompson,Tipping, Tomlinson, Turner, Wakefield.

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Desbruslais In India
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 07 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello

There is a "Families in British India" website at http://www.search.fibis.org which has some Desbruslais people recorded in Bengal.

There are 3 births  -  Male 4.1.1815, Female 13.12.1809 and Male 11.7.1811. No names given!

Marriages  -  31.5.1826  Louis Ponsin to Miss A.R. Desbruslais, 12.8.1827 Thos. Clarke to Miss E.F. Desbruslais, 1867 Eugene P. Desbruslais to Ann M.L. De la Nongerede,  1893 Felix A. Desbruslais to Winifred C. Meik,  1886  Eugene Desbruslais to Agatha Fransz,  1895 Clarence E. Desbruslais to Emiilia H. Smith.

Diana

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 December 07 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I also saw a comment on Rootsweb that Desbruslais was "a French name from Chandernagore".  Chandernagore was a French colony in India (West Bengal) until about 1955.(?).  You could check this date on Google.

All the bits of info I have given I found by simply googling the name Desbruslais. Give it a go. You could do the same for some of the other names you listed.  Good luck

Diana

Offline mytree

• RootsChat Member
  • Searching Twig By Twig
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 December 07 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Diana

Some of the names you mention are from my family, definitely knew my grandfather was of French origin and my grandmother is supposedly italian and they were both in India.

At least i have had some luck with the Desbruslais, i seem to be getting nowhere fast with the Mandelli side!

Appreciate your input.

Mytree
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Adams, Augier, Bo(u)lton, Brown(e), Cooper, Delanougerede, Desbruslais, Drury, Fisher, Fleury, Fransz, Hale, Holdsworth, Kirk, Mandelli, Michel, Robinson, Skidmore, Thompson,Tipping, Tomlinson, Turner, Wakefield.

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 December 07 01:10 GMT (UK) »
I am sure I saw mention of the Mandelli family on Rootsweb (when I googled the Desbruslais name). Try googling both.
Diana