Author Topic: Jane Lampard  (Read 5045 times)

Offline katincornwall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Lampard
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 March 11 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I have just come across this post as I am also researching Jane Lampard although I don't know if they are the same one.  My GG Grandfather was Frederick George Walter Hudson b.1858 Holborn, London to Jane Lampard b. Sussex and Charles William Hudson.  I have been unable to find a marriage for Jane and Charles, but I have found them on the 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses living in the Islington and Tottenham areas.  They also had other children: Jennie Anne Hudson b 1855, Wallace Hudson b 1864, Maud Hudson b. 1866 and Ada Blanche Lampard Hudson b. 1871.  Ada is the child that finally convinced me of the connection to Frederick as he does not appear on any of the censuses with the rest of the family.  I have his birth and marriage certs which seem to indicate that I have the correct parents.  I have found a Jane Lampard on familysearch.org, born in Lewes, Sussex in 1827 but without a marriage certificate I am not able to prove the connection.  I wonder if, since your last post, you had managed to find out any more information? 

Offline lynda123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 March 11 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate,
Many thanks for contacting me.
Whilst I have made a lot of progress with some of my Lampards, Jane still remains a bit of a mystery I'm afraid. Like you, I cannot find a marriage between Jane Lampard and Charles Hudson so I am unable to confirm whether this is your connection or not.
I believe Jane may have married James Smith Nickalls in 1850, but he died a year later so it is quite possible that she remarried. On a child's birth certificate it asks for mother's maiden name which would be Lampard in this case. However, if she did remarry then her name on the marriage certificate would be Nickalls.
If I come across any further info I will of course get back to you.
best wishes
Lynda
Cawte in Hampshire England and Nelson Bays area of New Zealand.
Gower in Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire. Lampard in  Kent and Australia
Burton in Coggeshall Essex
Rooke
Jackson

Offline katincornwall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 March 13 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I have made some progress on the Hudson/Lampard brick wall.  It would appear that Jane and Charles did not ever marry.  I have managed to obtain some research from another person who had looked into the Charles William quite extensively and it would appear that he changed his name from Charles William Fear to Charles William Hudson some time after he was discharged from the army in 1854.  This adds a whole new dimension to the research as Charles William Fear was married to Elizabeth Dakin Southern and had at least 4 children with her.  It looks like he abandoned her and took up with Jane, having a further 5 children.  He may have changed his name to cover this up, although this is purely speculation!  This other research appears to confirm that Jane was previously married to James Smith Nickalls as the researcher had obtained a birth certificate for Jane and Charles's youngest daughter and the mother's name is referred to as 'Jane Hudson, late Nicholl, formerly Lampard'.  Using the name Fear, I have also been able to trace Charles's death in 1898 in Islington Workhouse after a fall down some stairs.  I am going to see what else I can dig up now!

Offline lynda123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 March 13 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate,

This sounds absolutely fascinating! Would love to hear more.

Lynda
Cawte in Hampshire England and Nelson Bays area of New Zealand.
Gower in Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire. Lampard in  Kent and Australia
Burton in Coggeshall Essex
Rooke
Jackson