Author Topic: Birth Record: Patrick Francis MOORE c. 1863.  (Read 7583 times)

Offline acher1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth Record: Patrick Francis MOORE c. 1863.
« on: Saturday 15 December 07 01:08 GMT (UK) »
 :)  Hello and Merry Christmas to All from Queensland, Australia!
     I'd really appreciate it if someone could look for the Birth of PATRICK FRANCIS MOORE born approx. 1863.  On his marr.cert. he states his father is MICHAEL MOORE (a Coachman).
     On the 1891 UK Census he gives his birth place as FENAGH, BAGENOLSTOWN, IRELAND.
     Anything more I can find on him or his family would be wonderful.
                                                       Carol B.

Moderator Comment: title edited to remove excess capital letters.
See Topic: >>----- Guidelines for Postings / Netiquette -----<< , Reply #2 for explanation.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123033.0.html

Offline acher1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BIRTH RECORD: PATRICK FRANCIS MOORE c. 1863.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 May 10 12:30 BST (UK) »
 Hello All!  Since my last posting, I have found the Army Service Details of PATRICK MOORE that states he was born "in the Parish of Bagnalstown in or near the Town of Fenagh, in the County of Carlow".
   When he joined the Army in Belfast on 8 Sept 1883, he gives his age as 20yrs 8 months.  So to me that says he was born in Jan 1863?  He also gives his trade or calling as "Groom".
  I have also been in touch with some of his relatives in England who have informed me that they were told the family name used to be MORE O'FARRELL before PATRICK entered the Army - the Army did not want any "double-barrell surnames" so listed him as MOORE.
  If this is true, it's now more confusing!
  Any suggestions from all the experienced Irish researchers out there? 
                                                         Carol B.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Record: Patrick Francis MOORE c. 1863.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 May 10 12:41 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Patrick's birth seems to be just before Civil Registration started, so you will need to research parish records to find earlier details of baptism etc.

Keep an eye on the website at : http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/ as they plan to add various parish records for Co. Carlow in the next few weeks.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Record: Patrick Francis MOORE c. 1863.
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 July 10 01:14 BST (UK) »
hi
sorry i cant be of too much help, but i would say that moore rather than more would have been the name. moore is quite a common name around those parts. Maybe take a look at the censii for 1901 and 1911, which are available on line for these areas. it is worth noting that though there is only one moore in the fennagh parish on the census for 1901, in the neighbouring parishes of garryhill and sliguff there are considerably more(if you pardon the pun!).
my grandfather was in the police here in dublin, and on his record he stated he was from fennagh too, but he was not from fennagh, but from drumphea, which is actually in the parish of garryhill. it was just what he believed himself.
as for more o'ferrall, there are 13 in ireland in the 1911 census, and none in county carlow. the nearest are in wexford town, 31 miles from fennagh town. quite a long way in victorian rural ireland.
Just a little food for thought.
all the best
pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
mills, kildare and queens
jones, Caernarvonshire
brophy, carlow and dublin
o'rorke galway and carlow and laois