Author Topic: HELP! Wireless network dropping out!  (Read 9359 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Wireless network dropping out!
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 27 May 08 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Downside,  but it only began about 2 weeks ago and I've not changed anything.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 27 May 08 13:24 BST (UK) »
I'm jumping in late, but ... my daughter has an "unwired" internet connection, which keeps dropping out ... and her service provider had gone through everything they could think of, to try to fix it.
Then, she happened to mention that we have a set of traffic lights just outside our door.  Now, I don't know whether the service provider jumped at that in an attempt to pass the buck ... but since they said that the traffic lights might be the problem, we've noticed that the changing of the lights does seem to coincide with the drop-outs.   Ermmm ... depending on the weather  :-\
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 27 May 08 17:52 BST (UK) »
isps aren't really bothered if you can hard wire connect then thats it, their part of the service is done.

Whoever makes your router is the next one to check for problems

I tend to scour a network forum I discovered years ago and there is usually and answer there.  Lots of nice network engineers willing to give free advice  :D

I have a linksys with 3 laptops and a second pc running on wifi - no problems on drop out.
My dad... has belkin and its impossible! ok upstairs but he likes to sit at the kitchen table with the laptop, bless  :D  obviously, old house/solid walls and all the kitchen appliances as well as being under heathrow approach  :(

I've since bought him one of this 3 mobile phone usb dongles and it works great  ;D Not fast enough for me, but plenty fast enough for him..
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Gadget has just drawn my attention to this thread.

My b'band now seems to be OK ... but the wireless connection drops in and out continuously ... two or three times a minute when it really tries !

The connection works fine 'wired' ... but I like to laptop in bed (well, who doesn't !!) and its impossible. 

I have a BT home hub; BT is my ISP.   They have changed channels for me ... but still no joy.    I can sit with my laptop two feet from the hub ... or at the other end of the house ... it all makes no difference.

Any techies with ideas ?    Words of one syllable, or at most two, please ... I can't understand the technical stuff about ethernets and dongles ...

Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lydart

I tried all the things advised above, changed channels etc.  Finally the only thing that worked was a new router!  It was the same make etc - just seemed to be broken!

:)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Gadget has just drawn my attention to this thread.

My b'band now seems to be OK ... but the wireless connection drops in and out continuously ... two or three times a minute when it really tries !

The connection works fine 'wired' ... but I like to laptop in bed (well, who doesn't !!) and its impossible. 

I have a BT home hub; BT is my ISP.   They have changed channels for me ... but still no joy.    I can sit with my laptop two feet from the hub ... or at the other end of the house ... it all makes no difference.

Any techies with ideas ?    Words of one syllable, or at most two, please ... I can't understand the technical stuff about ethernets and dongles ...

Lydart are you using BT's software? ie when you got the hub did you load the disc etc,
if so i would uninstall and try connecting without all their rubbish,
also do you have a normal router? or do you use the hub phone,
when i changed my sons line to bt broadband we tried the hub for all of 2 days with nothing but disconnections,
put a netgear router on and never had a problem.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I loaded the disc, and after two visits and lots of online and on-phone help, I've got broadband all the time (maybe speaking too soon ... hope not !)

Its the wireless which is the problem, but even that is better today after the engineer fiddled with it ...

I think I'm getting there ... son will have a look at it for me at the weekend ... he's training in IT and I think knows what he's doing. 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 18:41 GMT (UK) »
yep thats what i mean the bt home hub is dire compared to "proper" routers
but if your online via wireless then no point in messing with it at the moment ;)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 25 February 10 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am jumping in late as just come across this thread ....... my Belkin is misbehaving as well.    Up until a month ago I had no problem automatically connecting on my laptop, I have to do a couple of repairs at least three times before it connects ..... then no problems.

Six months ago I was through to the help desk in India and we went through the process of reinstalling my password, because I B*****ed things up ::) as I forgot my original password, and I was locked out ...... so am very wary of changing the SSID.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk