Author Topic: McBean/Alvie  (Read 43569 times)

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McBean/Alvie
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Fochaberian,

Do iItake it you are from Fochaber, I have a little info on your family, Dates of birth for The children of Lachlan and some deaths,  Parents of Margaret McIntosh, etc any info you are lacking, let me know I might have some

Spacot

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Everybody,

Back from Alvie, I have photographs of 30 gravestones of McBean/Bain from Alvie, Kingussie and Inch churchyards, any one interested let me know.

Spacot

Offline fidonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Spacot

Thanks for the info about John MacBean & Jessie McKillop.  I don't know if you have ever looked on ambaile.org but his death noticed was published in the Inverness Courier and it is on Ambaile along with loads of other interesting stuff.

I don't suppose you found any graves for my lot when you were in Alvie?

Thanks again and kind regards
Fidonald

Offline Maddiebo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have just started researching the Alvie McBeans and like the rest of you, am confused! I have May  b.1771 in Inverness, m. John Robertson, Christina b.1772 m. Donald Robertson (John's brother), I suspect they could have been sisters. Many of the children from both these families emigrated to Tasmania and South Australia. Does anyone have any information about May and Christina's parents please?
I'm also interested about the connection of Cursty Robertson m.John McBean, to my Robertsons. In 1851 I have Duncan Robertson b.1793 living with his son-in-law John McBean b.1807. As mentioned in previous posts, John had no wife, could Cursty have been Duncan's daughter? I can't find a record. Also in 1851 Duncan's children John, Donald and Mary had John McBean (McBain) b. 1847, Ann b. 1850 and Cursty b.1851, listed as nieces and nephews living with them. In 1861 Duncan had 3 McBean (McBain) grandchildren living with him, Donald b.1852, John b.1847 and Ann b.1850.so it would appear that John's first wife died c.1852, don't know where she was in 1851 though, unless Donald's birth date is wrong. Presumably this is the same John who married Jessie Mckillop.
Hopefully you have all done a lot more research since the last posts and can help me out please. I do have other Robertsons/McBeans in Australia but will leave them for next time!
Maddiebo

Offline angiemist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 12 February 12 04:08 GMT (UK) »
McBean - Peter born about 1823 - I believe this is my great grandfather.  I believe he was born in Alvie and immigrated to Canada via New York between 1848 -  1851.  My grandfather was born in Southern Ontario.  One relative has written that Peter had a twin Louisand that they were born in Rockymus..Kas..in the Highlands.  I am visiting Aviemore at the end of April and would like to make the most of the 1 day I have there.  Any information would be helpful. 

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 12 February 12 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Did a little digging ... Rockymus..Kas.. this place must be Rothiemurchus which is the parish next to Alvie , and the parish in which Aviemore is situated,  A bit of luck, only one peter possible in Rothiemurchus ---PETER MACBAIN born October 1820 baptised 18 Feb 1821 in Avielochan parents were John McBain farmer and Marjery Stuart his wife,
First point to mention the McBain/McBean/McBane surname changed depending on who was writing it the spellings of surnames did not become fixed in the highlands until much later, at this point some people are still using the Gaelic spelling.
Their is no record of a Louise McBain/Bean born in 1820's in the whole of Invernessshire so I think your relative might have made a mistake there, families did not get one twin baptised and the other not, they either baptised both or none,
Their are only two other Peter McB's baptised in 1820's
Peter McBean baptised 1826 in Petty parents Angus McBean and Catherine McDonald
Peter McBean Baptised 1829 in Abernethy and Kincardine parents Peter McBean and Janet Grant.
The Petty baptism looks attractive but Petty is over past Inverness close to the site of the battle of Culloden, the birth place is given as [Cretveel?] I can find no place even close to that
Spacot

Offline angiemist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 12 February 12 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information.  What do you see re Peter McBean son of Angus & Mary in Duthil Parish .  This information was taken from Ancestry.com and has a birth date of 1823 which matches our family records?  I wonder whether the Louis (twin) could have been stillborn???

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 12 February 12 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
It is unlikely a still born would not have been baptised, it was widely believed that a child buried unbaptised would return to haunt the parents, 
I have looked at your Peter.  It is very confusing  I will give you the info I have found following on from the census,
10 Jan 1816 Angus McBean son of John McBean and Margaret Stuart born 1787  living in Balchlaggan married Mary Grant in Rothiemurchus,  the couple have 3 children all baptised in Balchlaggan John 1818, Alexander 1819 and Lewis 1821, Lieutenant Alexander McBean of Balchlaggan and John Grant were the witnesses to the baptism of Lewis.   No Peter.

1797 George McBean and Ann McDonald in Dunachton Alvie have a son called Angus he married Mary Grant do not know when. They lived in Casdow in Alvie parish and had six children  Patrick 1823, James 1828, Grace 1829. Jane 1832, Mary 1843 and Lachlan 1836,   again no Peter  are these two different people or not?

The census record in ancestry has Angus born Rothie abt 1788  Mary born abt 1793 Alex born Rothie 1819, Peter born Alvie 1823, Angus born Alvie 1825, Jane born Alvie 1833 and Catherine born Alvie 1840.   none of the births in Alvie are in the Alvie OPR.  any more info  needed let me know

Offline angiemist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 12 February 12 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Re Peter McBean
The info I have from Ancestry.com lists the Parish number as 96B in the civil parish of Duuthil and the address as Polchar Cottage and Occupation as Ag Lab and this was from the 1851 census.  The members of the family were Angus McBean (63), Mary McBean (58), Alexander McBean (32), Peter McBean 28, Angus McBean 26, Jane McBean (18) and Catherine McBean(11). 
I was directed to that information by Ancestry.com when I researched my grandfather's information from Southern Ontario, Canada.  My grandfather's information matched. From a small diary of family  information written by my deceased aunt I have the following information.  Peter McBean married Jean Coutts  on Feb 28, 1855 in Canada.The diary states that Peter McBean was born in Rockym...(I would have to go back to your previous email to see the spelling of the place).  The diary says that he and his brothers Lewis & James landed in New York April 7th, 1852 came to Sarnia, Ontario via Albany, Buffalo,and Cleveland.They lived in Lampton County, Bear Creek.Jean Coutts was born in Canada and the McBeans moved to Rideville, Manitoba, Canada in 1882.  The family were scattered and just the younger members were on the farm.  Later Peter McBean & Jean McBean moved to Emerson about 1900 where Peter McBean died about 1906 or 1907.  Jean McBean died in March 1922.  The rest of the information I have is on the children of John McBean - Peter's son.