Author Topic: McBean/Alvie  (Read 43658 times)

Offline lcaproni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McBean/Alvie
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 31 May 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
Brand new to this forum...and this thread. I have been researching my family history for 30 years (since age 11), and am now determined to finally link my McBains to the correct parental line in Scotland. Here's what I have, and I am hoping that all of you who have conducted so much research in Alvie may have some tips or perhaps links for me! My McBains moved to Wellington County, Ontario from Scotland--here's what what I have:

Donald McBain, b:1822, Inverness; d: 1874, Laxton, ONT. Married Catherine Turner (1830-1915) in 1850, Wellington Co., Ontario. They had nine children, many of whom stayed in Ontario [see further below for a list of Donald and Catherine's children]. I believe Donald's siblings were: John (1824-?) and C/Katherine (1828-1888). Christening records [Alvie, Inverness] for a Donald McBain and siblings John and Katherine list their parents as:

James McBain (1792-1858) and Janet Smith (of Kingussie, 1782-1868). There's also a christening record in Alvie for James McBean b: 1792 to John McBean & Janet Robertson.

Communications with a descendant of my Donald (1822-1874)'s sister Katherine (who married William Ashall Firstbrook) strengthens the suggestion that James & Janet (nee Smith) were my Donald's parents. Going back even further [his family allegedly hired a genealogist 20+ years ago], this researcher argues that James' father was indeed John McBean (see christening note above), and that John McBean was born in 1767 [possibly in Ardesier, Inverness] to Alexander McBean and Janet Sutherland.

Returning to Ontario and to Donald McBain (1822-1874), my Scottish emigrant who lived in Ontario, here's a list of his nine children with Catherine Turner (1830-1915), all born in Wellington County, Ontario:

1- Duncan (1852-1931), m: Jessie Bain
2- Jessie (1856-1941), m: John W. Boynton
3- Sarah (1859-?), m: Angus Murray
4- James Turner (1861-1945), m: Mable Gyles
5- Donald Turner (1863-1941), m: Adiline Sands. Emigrated to WA state. This is my line.
6- Catherine Edna (1865-?), m: Hector Gordon
7- Mary Elizabeth (1867-1951), m: George Murray
8- John Arthur Wellington (1869-1943), m: Isabella Cope
9- Christina Isabella (1872-?), m: Robert Parks

Hoping someone in this thread sees this message and also has some pointers for me! I would especially like info on James McBain and Janet Smith, the most-likely parents of my known McBain ancestor (Donald, 1822-1874), who appear to have been from or near Alvie and who emigrated to Ontario [they are buried in the Erin Pioneer Cemetery, Wellington, ONT]. Confirmation that the James McBean born to John McBean & Janet Robertson in Alvie in 1792 is the same who emigrated to Ontario (probably in the 1840s) would also be great!

Thanks in advance,

Linnea Caproni Hallam

Offline McBsofKingussie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McBean/Alvie
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered this thread.

I'm hoping it will help to unblock a dead end I've reached on Scotland's People.
Like Ellen in an earlier post, my GG grandfather is Donald McBain b circa 1780, died 1862.

He was a shepherd married (1808) to Anne Warren who died within days of Donald in Duthil.
They had 10 children, mostly born in Kingussie. My great grandfather was William (born 1819).

Donald's only sibling that I can positively identify is May (born circa 1780, died 1868).
Donald and May's parents were William McBean (farmer and tailor) and Helen McDonald.
Unfortunately, there is no record of their marriage or the births of their children.

There were two William McBeans born in Alvie in 1756 and 1757 but these dates don't fit well with the births of possible Helen McDonalds ( 5 to 8 years earlier).

Can anyone shed any light on this or suggest a new line of research?