Author Topic: Hugh Hercules RUSSELL (1899)  (Read 2406 times)

Offline ringcroft

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Hercules RUSSELL (1899)
« on: Sunday 16 December 07 09:43 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace any decendants of Hugh who was born 26/1/1899 in Belfast to parents Joseph (James) Russell and Sarah (nee King).

His parent were married in 1896 at Drumaroad RC church and were living in  Stephen Street Belfast at the time of his birth. 

Please can you help?

Many thanks

Mac

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Hercules RUSSELL (1899)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 07 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Mac, who can resist a Hercules, For ancestors, not reading your query carefully I went to  Ros Davies website  ie freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/R/Russell.htm
Drumnaroad is in the civil parish of Loughinisland
Drumnaroad  RC has records eg PRONI & NLI have baptisms 1853- 1881, marriages 1853- 1880 1853; UHF has baptisms & marriages 1853-1900 ; graveyard attached ; the graveyard is around the old schoolhouse; gravestone inscriptions available UHF Vol 9; email me for a gravestone look-up or pay per view gravestones on www.irishgenealogy.ie
 Miss Alice RUSSELL . Loughinisland regt. Clough; wife of John Magowan; mother of William b. 1869 CR

The following Mr R Blackwood made a special study of Loughinisland, so one of these trees might just be in that locality. However Griffiths valuation of householders 1863 doesn’t include a Russell in Loughinisland as such
RUSSELL family trees are in volumes 10p23, 16p98 Killowen Hamill, 22 Edenderry, 92. in the Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in the LinenHall library, Belfast.  I suggest you ask them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and you should be prepared to pay a fee for copying, post and packing, and perhaps some staff time and overheads. However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds and because you have acquired a valueable family tree say £100-£10,000.. Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Telephone: +44 (0)28 9032 1707,  Fax: +44 (0)28 9043 8586, Email: <irish.reference[at]linenhall.com>.

I think doing a similar message on ww.caora.net website might prove useful, search under Loughinisland, under Russell there are 10 or more Hercules being sought, unless one is yourself and yes uts you, so you know all about it.

Going back to descendants
Mary Lennon www.lennonwylie.co.uk/BSD1907_Streets_Start.htm is close to putting on R’s for the 1907 belfast Street directory. There is no Russell living in Stephen St.
I checked the incomplete 1911 census extracts on www.belfastfamilyhistory.com/ but wasn’t sure if anything is relevant in particular under Sarah Russells
I noticed on ww.proni.gov.uk/ulstercovenantsearch, a Hugh Russell recorded as signingin 1912 as Russell Hugh 18 Third Avenue  Belfast: East on PRONI records , A Hugh and a Sarah Russell signed at Sarah Mullertown Upper  Down: South Annalong Annalong district, another 8 Sarah Russell signed with different Belfast addresses.
But at that I have run out of time, However have you checked if he was involved in WW1
Good luck anyway, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Elaine-R

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Hercules RUSSELL (1899)
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mac,
I'm sure by now you have the information that you needed on Hugh Hercules born 13th Feb 1899, Ravenhill Road, Belfast, died 6th April 1900 in Drumnaquoile, Down, Ireland.
Joseph James was a Great Uncle to my inlaws.
Hoping you got on well with your research.
Elaine