Author Topic: !!COMPLETED!! **LOOK-UP: Michael James Brennan** !!COMPLETED!!  (Read 7549 times)

Offline WoodElf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
!!COMPLETED!! **LOOK-UP: Michael James Brennan** !!COMPLETED!!
« on: Monday 17 December 07 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all the detectives out there!

The following may be a tad confusing and I hope that you can understand.. I am trying to find out more details on Michael James Brennan, I am unaware of his birth and death details. I know he married Sarah Ann Reed in Jan 1863, Sydney, NSW. Together they had 10 children, including my ancestor, Sarah Ellen. All children, except Sarah (b. Dubbo) were born around Bourke. The children include Frances Eliza, Isabella Maude Mary, Victoria Prudence, William James, Mary Jane Hazel, Josephine Whalan, Annie, Michael James and Alfred John. Michael's wife died in the 1932 in Bourke. It would seem logical, unless they divorced, that Michael died in the same area, alas this is not the case :(. That seemed logical because his mother and father-in-law; James and Frances (nee Heazel) Reed both died in Bourke, 1898 and 1895 respectively. I am at a loss where Michael James Brennan disappeared to ???. I have an idea that Michael may have emigrated to Australia roughly 1855 on either the Wacousta or Golden Era :-\. Thanks for your time, assistance and consideration.

Ciao ;)

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LOOK-UP: Michael James Brennan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 07 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi woodelf2412

Do you have Sarah's death certificate?  If so, is she shown as a widow.

There are a number of Michael J Brennan's dying in NSW, we need to narrow down a time frame.

Do you have their marriage certificate?  Knowing who his parents are would help considerably.

Regards

Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline WoodElf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 December 07 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Genni,

I know a relative that may be able help me with the Brennan family; I didn't think of it before ::). I know that the time frame would be after 1884, that's when the last child Alfred was born and before 1930. Thanks

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 December 07 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Woodelf

My Dad's ancestors were in Bourke moons ago (owned alot of it!) & I have a book containing papers presented by members of the Bourke & Dist historical society (Volume IX). Nothing in the book is indexed but there is one section which lists some details of families whose names start A-M - fortunately your "Brennan" fits in this part of the alphabet. This is what is listed
Brennan Michael - born 1844 Sydney, to Bourke by bullock-team. Around 1868 he bought Lot 5 of Sect 4, West Bourke. He had married 06/01/1863 in Sydney, Sarah Ann Reed who was born in Sydney in 1847. In 1875 he is listed as a painter, Bourke. Had the "Native Dog" hotel (q.v.) 1879-81. Hi address in January 1878 is Darling Street. He is still in town April 1882. There is a Brennan's bend near North Bourke. A Richard brennan died 24/11/1898 aged 31. Michael's daughter Isabella M.M. was born at West Bourke 15/03/1869, the grandmother of Mrs Colin Johnston and many others

Unfortunately Reed  is in the wrong part of the alphabet and there is no mention of the name Heazel.

I will browse other sections to see if there is anything relevant mentioned.

Trish

There are 4 records on the NSW BDM for a Michael Brennan baptised 1844 47  50 and 57 - each with the parents Michael and Ellen - so 4 folks or 4 baptisms? Perhaps some multiple baptisms as Michael and Ellen had 3 children baptised in 1844 and 3 in 1845 & many more - or else there are multiple Michael and Ellens. I'll check the AVRI for a church - it it not given in the online NSW list

The Avri gives
Michael 1844 Singleton (inc New England) St Augustine's, Co. Northumberland, Roman catholic
Michael 1847 East Maitland, Maitland, West Maitland, Roman Catholic
May be different families - the other children in 1844 are also at the Maitland Church

Nothing around Sydney ???

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WoodElf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 December 07 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for looking that up. My family were from Bourke too :D!

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 December 07 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for looking that up. My family were from Bourke too :D!

Any other names that start with A to M that you would like me to check?

Trish

Offline WoodElf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 December 07 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Freeman please.. (although his forebearers weren't exactly free men)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 December 07 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Freeman please.. (although his forebearers weren't exactly free men)

Unfortunately, no mention of Freeman - free or otherwise.

Trish

Offline WoodElf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 December 07 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Dang.. Thanks Trish, the Brennan's are a problem. How is it that two Ellen's marry two different Michael Brennan's at such a close date :'(? There's Ellen Kilfoyle m. 1843, St Patrick's Parramatta Roman Catholic and then there's Ellen Fogarty m. 1842 Roman Catholic, Maitland. And all those Michael's being baptised/born around the same time! It makes you want to rip your hair out!