Author Topic: Is anyone researching Scottish Cobbs?  (Read 5331 times)

Offline FintryGirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Our Home in Fintry - The one past Mom & her dog
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone researching Scottish Cobbs?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 02:14 BST (UK) »
I have been researching Cobbs from Montrose for about 10 years. I decent from James Cobb and Jane Wickley, their son Anthony Cobb married Ann Fraser their child Lily Cobb married Edmund Bryson,  they would have been my father's grandparents. Their child Phyllis Bryson was my father's mother. She died very young. Would love to see photos of the Cobb family if anyone has anything. I have lots of documentation, one picture of her siblings. Thanks
Meffen, McEwan, Eggleton, Bryson, Gray, Cobb

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 03:11 BST (UK) »
FintryGirl...

It would be helpful to others if you could post more info. regarding dates which may help your own research?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline A.McGowan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 April 20 21:28 BST (UK) »
I have only recently joined the site, so excuse me if my response is no longer relevant.

I am researching a Cobb from Angus County, who was the mother of:

Henry Bruce Cobb Ellenband, born 7 April 1907 at Glasgow (illegitimate)
Father: Maurice Henry Ellenband, Advertising Contractor (b. Salford 1873, m. 1918, d. 1939)
Mother: Joan Cobb, Table Dresser.

I have followed a number of false trails (name variations, many Cobbs), but I may now have identified the mother as:

Joanna Cobb Donald, born 13 March 1876 at Rescobie, Forfar (illegitimate)
m. Christina Donald, Domestic servant
f. not shown

I believe she appears in the household of John and Sarah Cobb at Macgregor St, Brechin in the census for both 1881 (Joanna, age 4) and 1891 (Joan, 15). In both, she is shown as granddaughter, which suggests that one of sons in the house was the father.

In the 1901 census Joan Cobb is at 1901  Newmarket, Suffolk (Servant, 21). It says she’s from Brechin, the family home. Perhaps she did not know her true birth details.

I have not traced her in the 1911 census. However, her son is recorded at 'Harborne', Moorend St, Cheltenham, the home of Thomas Parker (58), his wife, and 3 daughters. His name is shown as
Hendry Bruce Cobb Ellinband (spelling differences), aged 3, a visitor.

Joan Ellanband (spelling difference) appears in the 1913 and 1914 Electoral Rolls for Glasgow at 1407 Argyle St.

In formation suggests that Joan and her son lived for some time in Gloucestershire where, at some point, he becomes known as Bruce Hayden. Around 1925, he and his mother, who is now known as Joan Wilson, move to Sussex with a William Wilson.

William Wilson was a car dealer in Shoreham and Joan ran a cafe. Her son, Bruce Hayden, got into journalism - he had a chess column in the West Sussex Gazette 1929-32.

William Scott Wilson died (55) 21 October 1935 at Shoreham, Sussex.
Joan Wilson died (80) 16 September 1961 (80) at Molesey, Surrey.
Bruce Hayden died 25 October 1997 at Kingston, Surrey.    

I have no record of a marriage by Joanna/Joan to the father of her child, Maurice/Morris Ellenband.
Neither do I have a record of a marriage to William Wilson.

In the 1939 Register, Joan Wilson gave her dob as 10 March 1880, which doesn't fit with anything in Scotland's National Records.

A fascination story about William Wilson appeared in The Worthing Herald of 26 October 1935, giving considerable information about his background, including his birth in Dundee. I won't list all the details here, but I am happy to share them (and anything else) with anyone who is interested.

I am following up with that research, which included the fact that he had a brother who served with Liverpool Police and who had retired with the rank of Superintendent shortly before Wilson's 1935 death. 

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Offline Pat in Dundee

• RootsChat Extra
  • "Here's tae us! Wha's like us? Damn few! ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 May 21 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have recently done some research on the Cobbs of Dundee and Brechin, some of whom are buried in the small Cemetery at Old Mains, Dundee, near where I live. Its been fascinating - and I found a court case where a 'cousin german' challenged the will of the very rich David Cobb, writer 1812-1892. He and his relatives are here at my website http://genesontheweb.co.uk/g17/p17568.htm
"Here's tae us! Wha's like us? Damn few! - an' they're a' deid!" Old Scots Toast

Adamson, Kinnear, Stirling in Angus; Key, Ford, Paterson, Orkney in Coastal Angus & Dundee; Conway, Reilly, Brady in Ireland, Ayrshire & Dundee; Fisher in Ayrshire; Nic(h)olson in Speyside, Aberdeen & Dundee; Miller in Dundee; Dickson in Ireland & Dundee; Johnston in Sweden & Dundee; Kowalewski in Poland & Dundee

Offline cartside

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 May 21 13:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Pat. I had come across the Cobbs involved in that story and realised that they were not connected to my research. I looked at your link-impressive!