Author Topic: St Peter's Church, Maybush, Southampton  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
St Peter's Church, Maybush, Southampton
« on: Wednesday 19 December 07 11:21 GMT (UK) »

I was born in the Southampton area, christened at St. Peter's Church, Maybush and afterwards evacuated with my mother.

I have never returned there so thought I would look on line to find out about its history. I see that a children's dance recital was held in St. Peter's Church Hall recently but am unable to find anything further about the Church.

Can a local Rootschatter tell me more about its location and its history and if it is still a house of worship?

Thank you.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Peter's Church, Maybush, Southampton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,

St Peter's Maybush is still a church, now part of the parish of Maybush and St Judes.  The parish office is located in Sedburgh Road Southampton.  The original parish of St Peter was formed in 1932 from Millbrook and Shirley.

If you have Google Earth, then type in the post code SO16 4BP into the search box and it will take you there for an overview.  Also use the same for streetmap to show you on a map where it is.  The church is the building with the green (probably copper there somewhere) roof.  It's in Lockerley Crescent.

I've had no success with a picture though.  Sorry.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 December 07 09:58 GMT (UK) »

Thank you Nell.

Memory plays strange tricks. I am reminded of the wonderful plum tree which grew in my uncle's garden in Kennedy Road and of the bonfire to celebrate VJ Day in the same vicinity. I was staying on Walnut Grove at the time and it seemed a very long walk to a small child.
Attending St. Peters Church was not an activity associated with that part of the family so no memories of that at all.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline David Nash

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 May 20 12:36 BST (UK) »
My parents got married in Maybush, Southampton in 1960 - and from comparing their wedding photographs with Google Earth, it was at at the current St. Peter's church.

However, it seems that that building was only built in 1956-1958, so I assume there was another building on the site before that, in which you were Christened - there was a lot of bomb damage in Southampton during WWII, which probably explains the new building.

- David