Author Topic: Treasure Ship Tragedy - The Royal Charter  (Read 29233 times)

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
  • 578 Squadron Memorial Balkholme East Yorkshire
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Ship Tragedy - The Royal Charter
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 March 08 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi meryll

Welcome to RootsChat!

It sounds possible that your William Pritchard could be the one mentioned amongst the twenty-eight.  As for the Matthew men mentioned, as one had the unusual name (surely!) of Israel, that might help you find if he was related to your GG.Grandmother.

Since my original posting, I have found that James Oliver, did have children when he died.  I did know that he was married but not that they had any family.  I have been in a touch with a decendant from his side, although she knew nothing about the tragedy of the Royal Charter, so was able to give her the information I had.

I found the info, to get me started, from a hand written family tree that a late cousin of my mum's had done, many years ago.  It has been a great help  :) and so interesting (as well as sad!) to find out what happened to this family. 

As well as these two brothers dying in such awful circumstances, their parents also lost another two sons, within three years of each other, both at the age of two years........tragic!!!  Mind, their mother went on to live well into her 90's, even after all the grief she must have suffered.

Hope you manage to find if your Pritchard and Mat(t)hew families were connected.

justmej
Brumby and Cheeseman (Louth, Lincs)
Brumby, Clark, Smith & Young (Sunderland, Co.Durham)
Cowing, Foster, Hudspith, Kilgour, Patterson, Pattinson, Pringle & Robinson (Northumberland)
Douglas, Laurence, McQueen, Moffat & Pringle (Scotland)
Hall, Harding (Hollinside), Maugham/Maughan & McQueen (Whickham, Co.Durham)
Oliver & Stark (Co.Durham, Northumberland & Scotland)

Offline trynfindit

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 July 08 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello -  I have a good friend who is a member of the St. Gallgo church and may be able to give you some help in your search.  St. Gallgo will celebrate next year the anniversary of the wreck of The Royal Charter.  Email me privately and I'll give you her email address.  --Julie

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 July 08 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Julie

Welcome to Rootschat.  Thank you for your offer and I am sending you a separate message, although, it might be wise to remove your e-mail address from your message, by clicking on the 'modify' button and deleting.

justmej
Cowing, Foster, Hudspith, Kilgour, Patterson, Pattinson, Pringle & Robinson (Northumberland)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 July 08 20:20 BST (UK) »
A much more modern case where no body was found and so no inquest and possibly no death registration

http://archive.thisisbradford.co.uk/2003/7/29/109824.html

In the past no body literally did mean no inquest or death registration since without the body a cause of death couldn't be established. However if you look at the end of any death registration quarter you will find, particular in Victorian times, large numbers of unknown people whose deaths were registered each quarter, so even if a body washed up sometime afterwards, if it couldn't be identified the death was registered but as an unknown. With deaths out at sea if a body was washed up it might be many miles away and sometime later.

If you put in the December quarter 1859 in FreeBMD and chose the Anglesey registration district but don't enter a name and then search you will see a list of unknown death registrations appear. There are about 30 males.

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Even today in modern day death registration quarters it is surprising to see just how many unknown peoples' deaths are still being registered.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 July 08 21:21 BST (UK) »
A much more modern case where no body was found and so no inquest and possibly no death registration

No body so seven years before a certificate can be issued ! :o

Thanks for the links Valda - very interesting.

Not a death at sea, but when I was trying to find the death cert of my late brother, who died in a road traffic accident, I had trouble locating the registration, although I had his date of death.  This was due to an inquest being held, and a court case, so it was not registered until the following year.

justmej

Offline IRT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello
  I'm a new member and have only just caught up on the "Royal Charter" thread. My 3xgt.uncle, James Russell, was one of the returning gold seekers on her final voyage in 1859. He and his family featured fairly prominently in McKee's book "The Golden Wreck". He survived the wreck but lost his wife and 2 young daughters, one of whom was washed ashore at Moelfre and buried locally (and so her death was able to be registered). To compound the tragedy, James' father died 6 weeks later in West Lothian. In 1884 he returned to Australia, where 3 brothers and 2 sisters had settled, and also to the farm in central Victoria that he had "selected" before returning to Scotland. He also pursued some more gold mining ventures before dying at his sister's (my gt,gt.grandmother's) neighbouring farm in 1897.

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat IRT!  :)

I have not looked at this side of the family of late.  How odd that last evening I should spend my time reading through many old newspaper articles of 1859, about the tragedy of the Royal Charter, and then come across your message today!

I remember coming across James Russell's name in the book 'The Golden Wreck'.  Interesting to hear, that he eventually returned to Australia, following his survival.

I'm sure you will enjoy being a member of RootsChat.  You will also find, that everyone is extremely helpful on here, with any queries you might have.

Regards

justmej

Offline Meryll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mrs William Pritchard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 November 09 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Last week I attended the commemoration service at St Gallgo's church for the 150th anniversary of the disaster, and in the congregation were descendants of victims, survivors and rescuers, some of whom had travelled from Australia and the USA (made my 170 mile jaunt look like a mere detour).  Lots of information available besides "The Golden Wreck", some of which can be found via the internet, but there are also items produced locally and on sale in various places around the island.  One publication gives copious detail about the salvage operations and the contemporary newspaper coverage.  Oriel Ynys Môn has an exhibition of various artefacts including the ship's bell.  Channel S4C screened a documentary about the disaster which is still available on Clic (the equivalent of i-Player) for a few weeks.

While I was there I finally confirmed my links to three of the 28 rescuers and also discovered that Coxswain Dic Evans of the "Hindlea" and "Nafsiporos" lifeboat rescues was a cousin, and the staff at the Llangefni Records Office were really helpful despite an unusually busy period because of half-term holidays. 

The monument to the victims of the shipwreck which now stands in the churchyard is in need of repair, so if anyone out there would like to contribute to the cost of restoration there is information at http://www.royalcharterchurch.org.uk/ and the parish bank account name is Llaneugrad & Llanallgo P.C.C.   Just a little plug for those who have helped to carry on the work of Stephen Roose Hughes for the last 150 years!
Anglesey: Pritchard & Mathew(s)
Bedfordshire: Veal. Money, Willson
Northants: Wills, Trench, Coles
Bucks: Hitchcox
London: Wills, Harris, Jones
Devon: Woodgates
Bangor/Llanllechid: Williams

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 November 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Meryll

I am pleased to hear you have finally been able to confirm your link to the rescuers involved with the Royal Charter disaster and how wonderful that you were able to make it to the commemoration service last week.

Thank you for mentioning the S4C documentary too.  I have just sat and watched this and found it very informative, as well as an extremely moving documentary.

justmej