Author Topic: McAngus, McKenzie & Tarrel, Hilton of Cadboll  (Read 42577 times)

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
McAngus, McKenzie & Tarrel, Hilton of Cadboll
« on: Sunday 23 December 07 12:22 GMT (UK) »
HI,

I'm interested in anyone descended from McAngus's from Hilton of Cadboll. It seems that everyone of the name has origins in this small village. My Gt Grandmother Ann McAngus was born there in 1902, the daughter of Donald McAngus and Dolina McKenzie. The family were mainly fisher-folk going all the way back as far as records exist (almost 1700). They also employed a limited number of male forenames; Hugh, Donald, Andrew, David, John and Alexander being prolific.

The Mckenzie's and Tarrel's both intermarried with the McAngus family on several occasions. If you do have connections let me know and we can see if we tie it altogether!

Graham
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline colin72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McAngus, McKenzie & Tarrel, Hilton of Cadboll
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 January 08 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Graham,

I am a descendant of George Sutherland and Sophia MacKenzie who lived in Hilton of Cadboll. A fair number of my family branches lived in Hilton and Balintore during the 1800s and 1900s.

I noticed you had mentioned about the McAngus, McKenzie and Tarrel families. I was wondering if I am correct in thinking that some Tarrel individuals sometimes went by the last name McKenzie?

By any chance do you have any connection to a certain Isabel Tarrel who married Hugh Sutherland on December 3, 1829 in Fearn (I believe their marriage would of taken place in Hilton) ?

Take care for now!
Colin

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 08 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Judging by the IGI, your Isabel Tarrel would have been either:

b.17/08/1808 , duaghter of Donald Tarrel and Janet Ross

or

b.13/10/1808, daughter of Alexander Tarrel and Janet Main

and it looks like Donald and Alexander are brothers anyway. I think they're both sons of Alexander Tarrel and Isabel MacLemon (MacLeman) born 1785 and 1782 respectively.

There could be, and probably is a connection with my Tarrel's. As for the name being interchanged with McKenzie, I''m not sure. I know that back around 1800, in Fearn, Gaelic names such as Ogg or this one I found; McAlastervig, were anglicized where possible, or simply replaced by a common local name, and I believe it was the Minister who chose this for them. But, I could be wrong on that acccount.

Graham
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID

Offline larry77488

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 August 08 04:32 BST (UK) »
I am part of the McAngus family from Hilton which moved to the US.

William McAngus was born in Hilton about 1842 and went to Texas in 1867. He was the son of Donald McAngus (c. 1800-1851/61) and Barbara Vass (c. 1799-after 1863).

If anyone is interested in this Texas side of the family, just let me know and I will supply details.

--Larry Jackson

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 August 08 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Larry, I too am descended from Donald McAngus and Barbara Vass through their son Hugh. Your ancestor William was born at Hilton of Cadboll on 24th October 1841.

I believe he married a Jessie McKenzie, then "Sailed to America with his betrothed, leaving Liverpool in October 1866, they encountered a bad storm lasting several days in the Irish Sea. Went to work for a large landowner in Texas."

I have on my tree a grand-daughter for William and Jessie, called Ruth Jackson (who probably supplied the emigration details - I forget), which would indicate some connection to yourself, am I right.

I would be very interested in any information about this line of the family. If you don't want to post it all on here, then feel free to PM me!

Graham
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE

Offline larry77488

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 August 08 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, Graham.

Yes, I am the eldest son of Ruth Jackson, who passed away in April. She was the last living grandchild of William, the McAngus who came to Texas.

I wrote a family history several years ago which included some information on Hilton. I will post here the first few paragraphs of one chapter. If you are interested, I will be happy to send you the entire book by email.

--Larry Jackson
  Texas

The village of Hilton, on the eastern coast of Scotland, has been home to the MacAngus family for generations. When the national census takers came to Hilton in 1851, they found a 50-year-old fisherman named Donald MacAngus, who is the forebear of the Texas McAngus clan.
   Five children were living at home with Donald and his wife Barbara Vass. The oldest son was Andrew, then 20 to 25 years old. He, like his father before him, had been born in Fearn, the parish in which Hilton lies. His mother, however, had been born in the nearby parish of Nigg.
   Next in age was David, then 12, followed by Hugh, age 10, William, age 8, and Barbara, age 7. There were at least two older sisters, Nelly and Helen, who were no longer living at home.
   For some reason, the family had not been listed in Hilton in the national census conducted 10 years earlier, in 1841. Numerous other MacAnguses were listed, though. And every one of the six male heads of household named MacAngus was a fisherman.
   Hilton was, and still is, a small village on the eastern coast of a peninsula extending into the Moray Firth. This is one of the bays that come inland from the North Sea. In the eighth and ninth centuries, Norse raiders plundered this area. Where the bay plunges deepest into Scotland lies the city of Inverness, some 30 miles to the south of Hilton. South of Inverness is Loch Ness, famous for its “monster” and the largest of all the Scottish lochs.
   In the 1841 census, the parish of Fearn was part of “Enumeration District No. 5” in the District of Easter Ross. Fearn was described as “The South District, comprehending the fishing villages of Balintore and Hilton.” Hilton, incidentally, was also spelled as “Hilltown,” which gives a clue to its terrain.

Offline wbalfour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 21:02 GMT (UK) »
If you want to see some pictures of Hilton of Cadboll go to www.northernsights.net

Offline hiltonladdie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 19:00 GMT (UK) »
hi Graham; I can not email you for some reason. I would like the history of the Texas MacAnguses ,hope this finds you and your family all well,Tom Brunton

Offline moodie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 January 09 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham
You posted this a while ago , so I wonder if you are still online. I too am a direct descendent of the family MacAngus family you mention, although I am confused by the mention of Ann b. 1902. My maternal Grandmother, age 95 years is the only remaining (alive) of the 14 children born to Dolina Mackenzie(b.1876,d.1952?) and Donald MacAngus(b.1860's,d.1940?). I have the children listed as Bella (never married, no children), Jessie, Dan, Nancy(ah, maybe Ann? - she lived in Tain), Andrew, Hughie, Mina, John, Babsie, Chrissie(my Gran), Nellie, Dina, David + Alexander (both David + Alexander died in childhood of TB).
Dolina's mother was called Ann. Dolina was an only child who had 14!
Did you mention or was it another post that they are not in Hilton in 1841 census - they were in Portgower, Parish of Loth - around the coast going North - they seemed to have done a lot of that!
If you want further info. let me know. Although my Gran left 'the village' (as they all call it) at age 14 , I live about 12 miles or so from it.
FRASER-MACKENZIE
MACKAY-GUNN/ROBERTSON+MACANGUS-MACKENZIE/TARREL
MOODIE-GAULT