Author Topic: The Barr family, Kilrea  (Read 22422 times)

Offline OllieH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Barr family, Kilrea
« on: Sunday 23 December 07 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any info on Joseph Barr, a farmer in Kilrea in the mid-19th century.  His daughter, Margaret, married Daniel McNerlin (a blacksmith from Articlave ) in Finvoy Presbyterian Church in 1871.

Merry Christmas

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Barr family, Kilrea
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 December 07 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Thought the names sounded familiar so I had a look in my files and found this:
Daniel McNerlin, son of Daniel McNerlin & Margaret Barr born 17 June 1881 baptised 4 Sept.1881 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church (by Rev. Hugh Wells).
Note: Rev. Hugh R. Wells from Belfast ordained Aug.1879 Ballywillan Presbyterian Church (retired Nov.1929 & died 27 Apr.1933 age 87)- he may have just been filling in at Aghadowey.

Found this Barr family:
Benjamin Barr (c1831-1 Feb.1920) m. Mary Jane Campbell (c1839-7 June 1919). Buried Finvoy Presbyterian Church.
1. Benjamin Barr (c1867-12 Mar.1885).
2. Thomas Joseph Barr (26 May 1868 Kilrea district).
3. John Barr (26 Aug.1870 Kilrea district).
4. Mary Barr (23 Oct.1872 Kilrea district).
5. Rachel Barr (18 Feb.1875 Kilrea district).
6. James Alexander Barr (27 Dec.1876 Co.Derry).
7. Mary Jane Barr (c1876-16 May 1897).
8. William Archibald Barr (13 May 1879 Kilrea district).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 December 07 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Also: James McNerlin born 4 Aug.1878 Rasharkin district, son of Daniel & Margaret (Barr).
Note: Rasharkin, Kilrea and Finvoy are all very close to each other & Aghadowey is not far from Kilrea and across the Bann from Finvoy.

Another possible connection?:
James McNerlin born 18 Nov.1865 Articlave district, son of Daniel McNerlin & Frances Kane.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 December 07 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Question- where do you have the information that Margaret Barr's father was a farmer in Kilrea?

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 December 07 07:31 GMT (UK) »
found this it may not be your joseph.   marriage. JOSEPH BARR TO ELIZA JANE IRWIN 23-4-1852 @ KILREA FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH KILREA, BALLYMONEY, CO. DERRY.

regards mary. :)
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 December 07 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Griffith's Valuation (c1859) gives 2 Joseph Barrs in County Londonderry according to an online index I checked:
Joseph Barr- Curragh
Joseph Barr- Chapel Rd, Kilrea
The Curragh one is not yours but 2nd one in Kilrea is a possiblity.

Offline OllieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 December 07 11:35 GMT (UK) »
This is a great site!
We have been looking for grandad's birthplace for over a year and Aghadowey has found it - the 1881 record. Many thanks. Is there any info on the family's home address?

I'm not so sure about the Barr family : Daniel Sn and Margaret Barr's wedding cert says her father was Joseph and that he was a farmer. However, grandad's middle name was Campbell (as in Mary Jane) and Archibald was the name of one of my uncles. A Thomas Barr was a witness at Daniel and Margaret's wedding, but his middle initial was W (not J).

I already have the info on grandad's brother James (the one born in Rasharkin) - for your info, they are buried together in Smethwick in Staffordshire. I also have found 2 references to Joseph Barr of Kilrea in the Griffith Valuation (via a free search at Ulster Ancestry) although I don't know much about this source - would it be possible to identify the land cocerned?

I would , of course, welcome any further info on the McNerlins and Barrs - in particular,anything on grandad's other siblings (possibly Sandy and Molly) as we belive that we have cousins in Barrow -in-Furness, Cumberland, but don't know whose children they are. There is also some family hearsay that Margaret Barr may have had Scots ancestors ( the Campbell link?).

Once again, many thanks for your help and Merry christmas.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 December 07 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey Presbyterian Committee notes: 31 Dec.1880 "Dan McNerlin to get sitting in Frank Millikens [pew]." 1893 Frank Millican sitting in pew 30 (pews and numbers were later changed).
The baptism for Daniel in 1881 does not give a townland (earlier baptisms showed townland but not mother's name). If Daniel was a blacksmith he was most likely owrking to another blacksmith in the area. Daniel's birth certificate would give the actual townland where he was born.
I'm not so sure about the Barr family : Daniel Sn and Margaret Barr's wedding cert says her father was Joseph and that he was a farmer. However, grandad's middle name was Campbell (as in Mary Jane) and Archibald was the name of one of my uncles. A Thomas Barr was a witness at Daniel and Margaret's wedding, but his middle initial was W (not J).
I also have found 2 references to Joseph Barr of Kilrea in the Griffith Valuation (via a free search at Ulster Ancestry) although I don't know much about this source - would it be possible to identify the land cocerned?
Sounds like the reference you have to Kilrea is from marriage of Daniel McNerlin & Margaret Barr. The marriage certificate lists the residence of the bride and groom at the time of the marriage which may not be where the parents were living or where the couple were born.
Griffith's Valuation (the actual valuation not an indexed record) is available at many libraries here in Northern Ireland- will have a look next time I'm at the library if you want (after Christmas). As I mentioned earlier there is a Joseph Barr in Kilrea but the Curragh one is a different family (those Barrs were masons not blacksmiths).

Offline OllieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 December 07 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey
According to Daniel and Margaret's wedding cert, Daniel's father, Thomas, was also a blacksmith. Daniel probably worked for/with his dad. By the way, when I googled Thomas, I got The Articlave Pipe band and a poem on that site which mentions Tom Mcnerlin. The band was founded in 1873, so it seems to fit.
Yes, I would be very grateful if you could look up the griffith Valuation next time you are in the library, but please don't put yourself out.