Author Topic: The Barr family, Kilrea  (Read 22424 times)

Offline OllieH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Barr family, Kilrea
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 January 08 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey, where can one find the Griffith Valuation map?

Offline OllieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 January 08 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey

You say that you passed New Row. I can't find it on multimap or google maps - only New Road. Can you describe where it is please.

Also, Griffith refers to a Joseph Barr in Chapel Road, Kilrea. I can only find Chapel Street. might Chapel Road be now called Chapel Street or even New Row (or Road) do you think?

For your info, I heard from PRONI today. They do not have joseph Barr's Letters of Administration - burnt in the 1901 fire. But they will let me have those for James McNerlin.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 January 08 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Just looked up a recent map for New Row and they seem to be calling it New Road now. Could be same as Chapel Road as New Row becomes Drumagarner Road (B75) and the chapel is at Drumagarner.
Valuation maps are in various libraries here (Coleraine I know have them).
At the moment I am finishing up a research project so not sure when I could check the maps for you but will try to take a few photos if I remember to bring the camera next time I'm passing through Kilrea.
Good and bad news from PRONI it seems.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OllieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 January 08 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks

Offline vowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 31 January 08 04:10 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Hugh Wilkinson family Hugh married to Nancy Campbell sister of Mary Jane Campbell married to Benjamin Barr both marriages took place in Drumreagh Presbyterian Church Finvoy Parish although both went back to Kilrea and started their families before returning to Antrim years later,
Benjamin was witness at marriage of Hugh and Nancy,  Hugh also being a blacksmith, on marriage certificate and living at  Seygorry near Aghadowey at time of his marriage  not sure it connection is the two sisters or that there are a lot Barrs also around Aghadowey or there occupations bought them into contact, not sure if this information will be of any help,  regards

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 31 January 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Vowgirl- welcome to Rootschat.
There are a lot of Barr in Aghadowey area but not all related to each other.
Do you have date of marriage for Hugh Wilkinson and Nancy Campbell? Have family details of William Wilkinson, bleacher, Seygorry, son of William Wilkinson who was a cooper and bleacher, married 1859 Nancy/Agnes McIlroy. They had a son Hugh born 15 Nov.1865. Not sure if this is same family but Wilkinson is not a common Aghadowey surname and the above family did live at Seygorry in Aghadowey Parish which makes me think there could be a connection.

Offline vowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 31 January 08 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes have all that information for Wilkinson family that is it Hugh Wilkinson married to  Nancy Campbell 1866 , thought I might be helping the people looking for Barr family, Barr family only come into what I am researching through the Campbell sisters. Hugh and Nancy owned the Vow Hotel Finvoy Parish Antrim thanks anyway.
I am finding Wilkinson uncommon in Aghadowey area have been looking to find a wife for William Wilkinson a cooper and where his children born etc eldest son John appears to have been born about 1835 and never married, have seen that Aghadowey had a London company of brewers and an Iron company not sure of name so possibly being a cooper was connected to one of these.
Thanks again

Offline OllieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 31 January 08 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Vowgirl
There may be some connection between your ancestors and mine as my grandfather ( Joseph Barr's grandson, Daniel McNerlin Jn), two of my uncles and at least one of my cousins all have Campbell as their middle name.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 31 January 08 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Brief outline of what I have: William Wilkinson (carpenter and cooper)- wife unknown. Children:
1. William (c1835), bleacher, Seygorry, m.1859 Nancy/Agnes McIlroy and had: Eliza, Marianne, Jane Thompson, Hugh, Agnes, William, Hannah, Rebecca, Sarah McIlroy.
2. John, cooper.
3. Abraham (c1840) m.1871 Hannah Woodend.

have seen that Aghadowey had a London company of brewers and an Iron company not sure of name so possibly being a cooper was connected to one of these.

Much of Aghadowey Parish was under the Worshipful Company of Ironmongers (one of the London Companies) and the Brewer Company had the townland of Claggan in Aghadowey and other lands in nearby Desertoghill and Errigal parishes.
Have information on Ironmongers Tenants but unfortunately Seygorry (name comes from local saint, St. Guaire, whose name is also given to the Parish Church in Aghadowey) was part of Church lands and there aren't as many tenants records for it.
No Wilkinsons in Aghadowey Parish in 1831 Census. In 1859 (Griffith's Valuation) William Wilkinson is living in a house in Aghadowey townland with an annual rent of £1.