Author Topic: The Barr family, Kilrea  (Read 22441 times)

Offline vowgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Barr family, Kilrea
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 February 08 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Vowgirl
There may be some connection between your ancestors and mine as my grandfather ( Joseph Barr's grandson, Daniel McNerlin Jn), two of my uncles and at least one of my cousins all have Campbell as their middle name.
Yes I think you may be right not so sure about the Barr side but I am sure Joseph would be Benjamins father  as Mary and Him had a son Thomas Joseph and Thomas was the name of  both the Campbell girls father they had another sister Matilda also I think probably more children in Campbell family I have more marriages for Drumreagh church cant connect these at present very hard when no mothers names on marriage certificates.   
Benjamin as I said was witness on Hugh and Nancy's marriage certificate
also Benjamin and Mary (Jean) Jane named their eldest child Nancy.
I also think the other Joseph in Kilrea maybe the brother of Benjamin?
I have seen where Benjamin and Mary Jane Barr signed the Ulster convenant living at Knockans Finvoy in 1912.
With Hugh and Nancy they seemed to have named their children using the Irish/Scots naming pattern as well which helps when looking
Hope this has been of some help
regards Elaine

Offline vowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 01 February 08 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Brief outline of what I have: William Wilkinson (carpenter and cooper)- wife unknown. Children:
1. William (c1835), bleacher, Seygorry, m.1859 Nancy/Agnes McIlroy and had: Eliza, Marianne, Jane Thompson, Hugh, Agnes, William, Hannah, Rebecca, Sarah McIlroy.
2. John, cooper.
3. Abraham (c1840) m.1871 Hannah Woodend.

have seen that Aghadowey had a London company of brewers and an Iron company not sure of name so possibly being a cooper was connected to one of these.

Much of Aghadowey Parish was under the Worshipful Company of Ironmongers (one of the London Companies) and the Brewer Company had the townland of Claggan in Aghadowey and other lands in nearby Desertoghill and Errigal parishes.
Have information on Ironmongers Tenants but unfortunately Seygorry (name comes from local saint, St. Guaire, whose name is also given to the Parish Church in Aghadowey) was part of Church lands and there aren't as many tenants records for it.
No Wilkinsons in Aghadowey Parish in 1831 Census. In 1859 (Griffith's Valuation) William Wilkinson is living in a house in Aghadowey townland with an annual rent of £1.

Offline vowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 February 08 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Brief outline of what I have: William Wilkinson (carpenter and cooper)- wife unknown. Children:
1. William (c1835), bleacher, Seygorry, m.1859 Nancy/Agnes McIlroy and had: Eliza, Marianne, Jane Thompson, Hugh, Agnes, William, Hannah, Rebecca, Sarah McIlroy.
2. John, cooper.
3. Abraham (c1840) m.1871 Hannah Woodend.

have seen that Aghadowey had a London company of brewers and an Iron company not sure of name so possibly being a cooper was connected to one of these.

Much of Aghadowey Parish was under the Worshipful Company of Ironmongers (one of the London Companies) and the Brewer Company had the townland of Claggan in Aghadowey and other lands in nearby Desertoghill and Errigal parishes.
Have information on Ironmongers Tenants but unfortunately Seygorry (name comes from local saint, St. Guaire, whose name is also given to the Parish Church in Aghadowey) was part of Church lands and there aren't as many tenants records for it.
No Wilkinsons in Aghadowey Parish in 1831 Census. In 1859 (Griffith's Valuation) William Wilkinson is living in a house in Aghadowey townland with an annual rent of £1.

Offline vowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 February 08 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much for the information hope I am posting the messages the right way
regards Elaine
I have something else to ask on another name so will post seperately you may be able to help me with this also
regards

Offline pok

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 08 January 10 02:45 GMT (UK) »
found this it may not be your joseph.   marriage. JOSEPH BARR TO ELIZA JANE IRWIN 23-4-1852 @ KILREA FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH KILREA, BALLYMONEY, CO. DERRY.

This couple had at least 8 children & the marriage record states that he was a blacksmith, father Robert a farmer.  Eliza Irwin was daughter of Robert Irwin & Jane Reid who had 8 daughters.
Cheers Pauline

Offline rsyoung11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 August 13 22:22 BST (UK) »
I'm the great grandson of Mary Barr, the daughter of Benjamin and Mary. She emigrated to the U.S. sometime in the late 1800s and had three children, Donald, Maxine, and Collin. Collin was killed in an auto accident as a child. Maxine lived a long life and had two children, Teddy and Robert. Donald is my grandfather.

To date I've had very little luck in tracing the Barr family. I'm new to this site and if anyone can lend an assist it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very Much,

rsyoung11

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 08:39 BST (UK) »
If you mean Benjamin Barr and Mary Jane Campbell that I posted earlier-

Benjamin Barr (c1831-1 Feb.1920) m. Mary Jane Campbell (c1839-7 June 1919). Buried Finvoy Presbyterian Church.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dirraw/Knockans/945817
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Dirraw/Knockans/129542
1. Benjamin Barr (c1867-12 Mar.1885).
2. Thomas Joseph Barr (26 May 1868 Kilrea district).
3. John Barr (26 Aug.1870 Kilrea district).
*4. Mary Barr (23 Oct.1872 Kilrea district).
5. Rachel Barr (18 Feb.1875 Kilrea district).
6. James Alexander Barr (27 Dec.1876 Co.Derry). At home in 1901.
*7. Mary Jane Barr (c1876-16 May 1897).
8. William Archibald Barr (13 May 1879 Kilrea district). At home in 1901.

* I found the 1872 birth for Mary Barr (& no death) and a death date for Mary Jane Barr (& no birth) but not sure if this is the same child.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 08:57 BST (UK) »
According to this information Benjamin & Mary married 1856 and had 11 children- registration of births started 1864 so you'd need to check church records for children born 1856-1863.
http://www.ballymoneyancestry.com/VolForumRss.aspx?topic_id=747&print=1

Matilda Barr, born 16 Nov.1861, bapt. 1? Jan.1862 First Kilrea Presbyterian Church, parents- Benjamin Barr & Mary Ann Camphile of Kilrea
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rsyoung11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 17:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Very Much Aghadowey,

That helps a great deal and is more than I knew before. I will be planning a trip to visit the Kilrea area soon and your information makes a great starting point. I suspect at sometime the trail will lead me to Glasgow, but I'll have to see.

Thanks Again,

Rsyoung11