Author Topic: The Barr family, Kilrea  (Read 22439 times)

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Barr family, Kilrea
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 07 April 19 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert we are DNA matches, so interesting to find you here in Kilrea.
No idea how the Corkers and Barr's are connected, maybe Hugh seniors wife was a Barr or a Campbell
or maybe William Corker's wife Jane Paterson is connected to them
The 1911 Census says that Mary Jane Barr had had 11 children 8 still living then.
As well as your Mary there is a daughter Elizabeth born July 1862 she was married to Charles Fude in Michigan in 1884, and died there in 1930, her death certificate names her parents as Benjamin Barr and Mary Jane Campbell, just noticed the informant was Mrs Mary Miller.
Descendant Kathy Pare is also a DNA match to me, when i click on her you don't come up as a shared, but when I click on you she does and what looks to be her son
Cheers Colin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 07 April 19 10:51 BST (UK) »
Not sure where Corker comes into this thread as I can't see mentioned earlier. There were Corkers around Kilrea and a Corker-Campbell marriage in 1865-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGDZ-BPP
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline McNerlin RTW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 05 September 20 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, I’m researching my own tree, and have reached precisely the same question about Joseph Barr and daughter Margaret. I’m descended from Margaret and her husband Daniel. I’d be very grateful for any guidance on Margaret’s parents, and indeed Daniel’s. Many thanks!

Offline McNerlin RTW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 08 May 21 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hello again - I am interested in finding out more about Margaret Barr, who married Daniel Mc(A)Nerlin in June 1871 at Finvoy.  They are my great-great grandparents. 
I see their wedding certificate says Margaret's father was Joseph, a farmer.  However, I can't find any other details of her birth or parents.
One of the marriage witnesses was Thomas W Barr, and his signature appears to match that of a Thomas W Barr in the 1901 census, described at that time as a (Scottish) Covenanter, residing in Coleraine. I know there was a Joseph Barr, farmer, residing at Curragh during the 1831 census.  Also, Benjamin Barr, born c.1831, married 1.7.1856 to M J Campbell described his father as Joseph Barr, farmer.  Do we think Margaret was Benjamin's brother? 
I think she is too young to be Benjamin's daughter (Benjamin had a daughter Margaret c. 1857, but she would have been too young to marry Daniel in 1871).  Also, if her father was Benjamin, why would she say it was Joseph...
If anyone has details of Margaret's birth/parents, I'd be very grateful!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 08 May 21 22:05 BST (UK) »
I know that Thomas Wilson Barr was a son of Joseph Orr Barr of Curragh. Will have to check my files for full details of that branch of the family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!