Author Topic: Captn HG James d.1932 Jersey COMPLETED  (Read 4183 times)

Offline dmhirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Captn HG James d.1932 Jersey COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 25 December 07 13:02 GMT (UK) »
My Grt Grandfather James "Green" Hirst  (b 1843 Hull, captain with the Leeds Rifles) ran off to Jersey with bar maid, Ada Anna (b 1872 Leeds ?), sometime after 1901 possibly after being named in the divorce proceedings of a Alice Hannah Riscon(?) in 1902. It has been suggested he was led astray by the Vaudeville acts at Leeds City Varieties! He was recorded in the Jersey directory of 1927 as "H.G. James of  Wongonella, Grouville."

He died in Jersey 15 Jul 1932, and is buried in St Clements under the name of "Captain HG James".

I would like to find out more about James Green Hirst (or Captn HG Green) and Ada Anna's life and death on Jersey. In particular, what her surname was, whether they did get married, death certificate details, what Wongonella Grouville was (is) like, and even when they actually first appeared on Jersey.

Can anyone provide me a pointer as to what I may be able to find out?

Regards - David
Hirst (Leeds)
Naylor (Bradford/Coventry)
Illingworth (Bradford)
Greenwood (Keighley)
Asquith (Cleckheaton)
Fourness (Leeds/WRY)
Beck (Keighley)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Captn HG James d.1932 Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 08 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

I have looked through the "Almanache des Chronique de Jersey" and H G James first appears in the 1907 edition living at Wonganella (note the spelling). I would therefore expect him to have been there since 1906 as the almanac is produced the following year. He was there until the 1927/1928 edition when he was living at Hillside, Gorey Village, Grouville.

By 1929/1931 he was at Le Marais H. I've no idea what the H stands for!

Strangely he was back at Wonganella in the 1932/1933 edition.

The EP Almanac confirms the 1932 location and he disappears in the 1933 edition.

In the Jersey Directory and Express Almanac his name is quoted as Hurst G James.

Now, as regards a marriage to Ada Anna I searched the St Helier Registry Office, Grouville Parish and St Clement's Paris with no success from 1901 to 1933. However what I did stumble across was a marriage for Ada Anna James at St Helier Registry Office. The reference is May 1933 to Jan 1935, volume 29 page 29 if you should want the certificate. She obviously married again.

You mention that H G James is buried at St Clement. What made you draw this conclusion as I can see his death recorded in the index for Grouville, Mar 1922 to May 1941 on page 281? I think it strange that he would die in one parish but be buried in another.

As regards Wonganella, I think this is a house name.  I live in Grouville and locals tend to use house names rather than road names. Leads to total confusion!! I will try and find its location next week.

Regards

Stewart

PS I found all this information at the library of the Societe Jersiaise who have a mine of information See www.societe-jersiaise.org

Offline dmhirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 08 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Stewart

Thank you for your research. I believe that James G H left Leeds with Ada Anna with his tail between his legs after being caught named in divorce proceedings with another women in 1902. Maybe he did not get divorced from Sarah Ann (and mother of his 8 children) until she died in 1929. Given what you write I now wonder if they got married at all - or maybe he did get divorced and  married Ada Anna in England.

Le Marais is - I believe, a district of Paris (also possibly a swamp or marsh - the swamp Hirst perhaps??!)

Other relatives have visited Jersey and found his (and Ada Anna's and her subsequent husband's) grave - I have the plot number and photographs of the headstone. Thank you for the ref to Ada Anna death certificate - I will follow that up.

All this is making me think a trip to Jersey would be a good idea...
Hirst (Leeds)
Illingworth (Bradford)
Greenwood (Keighley)
Asquith (Cleckheaton)
Fourness (Leeds/WRY)
Beck (Keighley)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 08 21:06 GMT (UK) »
David

Just to clarify that the refence to Le Marais is defintely in Jersey and you are right it means marsh.

I'll get back to you about Wonganella.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

I have found Wonganella!

It is on Rue a la Don, Grouville and is next door to the Lavender Villa Hotel. Sadly though is it not the house from the 1900's as it is a 1960's style building.

Stewart

Offline dmhirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Captn HG James d.1932 Jersey COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 January 08 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Stewart

Thank you again

The comment about "Le Marsh Hirst" was my idea of humour  I am afraid after leafing thro' my French dictionary.

I have now dug out the record of the grave in St Clements made by a relative in 1990. JGH died 14 Jul 1932 and is buried St Clements graveyard in grave 54-2 as James, H.G 6ft down age 89 18/7/1932. In the adjoining grave - 54-1 was ceded to James Mrs H.G. for the burial of "Pringle, James (2nd husband) age 80 2/6/1954 and finally "Ada Anna Pringle" (ashes) age 92 26/5/1964. The grave was in good condition when see by my relative in 1990. The inscription is to H.G James, Capt James Pringle and Ada Anna their wife.

He only returned to England after 1929 when his first wife died. I have a copy of a picture of him then, and he looks pretty happy with himself. Mind you, with Ada Anna being nearly 30 yrs his junior, then who can blame him! :) :)
Hirst (Leeds)
Illingworth (Bradford)
Greenwood (Keighley)
Asquith (Cleckheaton)
Fourness (Leeds/WRY)
Beck (Keighley)

Offline southwell75

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 February 10 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Further info on (not Captn) Hirst Green JAMES in Jersey from the 1911 census.  Grouville, Jersey, C.I. house with 6 rooms.
H.G.James age 60, married 14 years in present marriage, born Yorkshire Hull, father born Yorkshire Halifax.  Private means.
Ada Anna James age 38, married 14 years with no children in present marriage, born Suffolk, Orford.  Private means is dittoed.

Ada Anna's maiden name was Pead, she was a singer or showgirl living with her sister in London in 1901.

He was in Leeds at the time of the 1901 census and his (legal) wife Sarah Ann Fourness was in Leeds in 1901 and 1911.  He was in Jersey in 1906-7.  His marriage to Ada Anna, which I had looked for after 1929 is suggested above to be in 1897 but this cannot be so.  Marriage in 1901 to 1933 was ruled out by Stewart Hill.  There are still missing links in the story.

Separately, Sarah Ann Hirst (Fourness) cousin Jane Thresh (1878 eloped with "Slim Jim of the Savage South Africa Show" which was touring in Leeds in August of 1900.  They married in Sunderland and I never heard of Jane again until two weeks ago when her grandson's wife put up a tree on Ancestry.com.  Strange things happened in Leeds in 1900!

Offline Les3001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 December 15 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I was just analysing the postcard collection of my wife's great great grandfather James Ayles (1838-1912) as part of my family tree history. I came across a card showing a house that when magnified gave a house name on the wall of WONGANELLA . The reverse bore the message "A Happy Xmas to you, hope you will visit Jersey this next summer. H G James.    I Googled WONGANELLA , Jersey and came across this old 2007 thread.
The card was sent to James's Peckham Rye, London address which will date it between about 1906 to 1911. James was a publican in the Camberwell area before these dates and I know he did a "Grand Tour" of many Western Europe countries in 1908 so there may be a connection there.
Unfortunately I could not attach a picture of the very nice WONGANELLA house or the text of the card.  Hope this is of help and further establishes where HG James lived.

Offline Les3001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Postcard from your great grandfather showing [size=0px]WONGANELLA[/size] circa 1908. Hope you are still looking at these posts. I can send higher resolution
[/size]