Author Topic: POW escapee(s), how can I trace the?  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: POW escapee(s), how can I trace the?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 20:19 GMT (UK) »
There are some records of prisoners of war in The National Archives, and there is a Research Guide about them

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=303

I should practise what I preach, and get to grips with this myself, because my grandfather was a prisoner for most of the war, and is supposed to have escaped, but went back when he got cold and hungry. Haven't got round to it yet though! One day...

Mean_genie

Offline annsa

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 23:41 GMT (UK) »
HI,

I like Brian have come across escapers/evaders who managed to stay free, sometimes fighting with partisans in the WO344 Liberation series of files at the National Archives, they are worth taking a look at, however, they are unindexed unless Brian has done them. I did start a partial index but only dealt with some air force reports

Regards,

Ann

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 February 08 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,
           if I lived much closer to T.N.A. the Catalogue by name of WO344 would have been considered. There are so many thousands to work on, the job for financial reasons would be impossible.The plus side with WO344 is that they are in Alphabetical order so you can narrow down the search. But it still means a visit to T.N.A.
As there is construction work at T.N.A. which is giving limited capacity it is not worth my while making the trip at present.

Brian
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 February 08 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Ned is an abreviation of the name Edward.     As in Ned Kelly famous outlaw in Australia!

Barb
Hibberd: Sheffield, Dronfield, Yorkshire; Barry: England, Echuca Victoria Australia; Reid: Dumbarton to Tasmania; Parkin: Leeds to Tasmania: Younie: Moray,Scotland to Tasmania:Horsham: England to Tasmania

Offline annsa

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 February 08 11:14 GMT (UK) »
HI Brian,

I couldn't remember whether you had dipped your toes into WO344 or not. Next time I go, and Ishall wait until the building works are finished/not so disruptive, I shall make an organised start on WO344. I wished that I lived closer to Kew, so I could achieve getting there and back during my days off in the week, but I am restricted to Saturdays and then only a few times in a year.
What has happened to your WO208 index?

Best wished,

Ann

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 March 08 13:26 GMT (UK) »
It hs long been said in my family that I have ancstors who escaped from a Stalag Luft POW camp, or just a general POW camp.
Can anybody tell me how I can search for anybody. I do not have any forenames as yet, but can get them as the last surviving relative  most likely to have info is in the US (Im in UK), and we have only just got contact going again. When she phones again I will ask if she has any nfo for me :)
The name I'm interested in is Reay, and I have ben told the man/men who escaped were in the RAF.
Any help in tracing them would begreatly appreciated. I want to try and see if this is true, or perhaps someone has been telling me porkies for the last 60 years! :P

Regards and the best for 2008!
Matt :)
[/quote

Hi during ten spare minutes at TNA I looked at the relevent File. Two Reports were made by men in the R.A.F with the surname Reay.Though there were others with the same surname.

Reay T.A. 1475922 D.O.B. 21/1/23  21 Fordfield Road Sunderland.
St. 1XC Hospital 22/10/43 to 29/1/44 ------St.Luft V1 3/2/44 to 19/7/44
St. 357 Thorn  21/7/44 to 9/8/44 -------  St.357 Falligbostel 12/8/44 to 7/4/45

W.O. Reay W.E. 1541851 D.O.B. 3/8/23 2.Moor Place Stanwix,Carlisle.
31/1/44 Dulag Luft.
St.Luft 6  18/2/44 to 15/7/44   ST.Luft 4 19/7/44 to 6/2/45  St X1B 29/3/45 to 16/4/45

Do either of these match up with what you are looking for.

Brian

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 March 08 14:35 GMT (UK) »
I too have family members who were prisoners of war ( WW1) and did managed to escape but the only thing i could find was on the British red cross web site . I have been told they charge something like £75 just to start a search for you and god knows how much it would be if they find any record?
Migky ;)

Images removed as it may infringe copy rights

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 March 08 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    can you post their names and maybe I could help.
The Records of Escapers and Liberated P.O.W. are all at the National Archives. If you make the visit yourself the copying costs are 30p per page. Free if you use a digital camera. You can also order a copy of the Reports when you know which File they are in.

Brian

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 March 08 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for finding these names for me Brian. I have tried to contact my great aunt (who would know the nems of the POW's in the family), yet she seems to be currently unavailable, aswell as living on the other side of the Atlantic!

I like the look of T. A Reay, thankyou for finding him for me.

All I can do now is wait until I can contact my great aunt!!  :-\

Matt.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk