Author Topic: Hosack family help  (Read 3986 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hosack family help
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 May 13 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi tinning and welcome to rootschat
I do hope you get a response.  Neither of the Hosack researchers has been on for some time but they should get a notification of your reply.  Let us hope they get back to you.   If you make a couple more posts you can send a personal message to Safficat by clicking on the letter icon under their name.  You need three posts to activate it.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 31 May 13 11:12 BST (UK) »
You can check the database for compensation paid when slavery was abolished, the slaves of course, got nothing.   http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/

Skoosh.

Offline lilylilac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 June 13 15:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Jenny,

No, you did not miss me.  My great great grandmother was a Hossack.  The last name is spelled several different ways in Jamaican records.  I was scheduled to go to Jamaica in May and research their amazing archives ; but had to cancel the trip.  The records in Jamaica are very good.  My oldest relatives who were over 100 talked about William a lot because their parents, who were his grandchildren, knew him and spoke of him often.  Although, he lived a long life and maintained contact with his Jamaican family, he returned to Scotland at some point and married there.  William was not only a plantation owner; but a statesman as well as a poet.   I intend to resume my research and hope you receive this note and keep in touch.

Byefor now,
Lilylilac

Offline achiltibuie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 May 16 23:03 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Hosack, daughter of John Hosack of Buff Bay plantation St George jamaica, who himself died in 1815 (PCC will on Ancestry) married John Bell, planter at Woodstock in St George in 1828 (Blackwoods Magazine, online, September 1828) - she died in 1838 in Jamaica, but the death is recorded apparently on a Girvan tombstone (according to David Dobson, Scots in the West Indies).   The index to the 1829 slave returns for St George shows John Bell as acting as attorney for the heirs of John Hosack - he had laid down in his will that his son William was not to inherit until he reached the age of 26, but compensation, when it was paid, went to him.   Mary Ann seems to have married at 16.