Author Topic: Blackadder in Falkirk.  (Read 49017 times)

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
Re: Blackadder in Falkirk.
« Reply #45 on: Monday 13 July 09 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarndra

Where were your Blackadders located exactly, it is interesting that one of the Blackadder marriages that I have is for John Blacketer (same spelling as yours) to Mary Kerr in Clackmannan in 1794, I will attach a copy for you

Regards
Pam

Howdy Pam

G grandad James Arbuckle was born c1846 in Crumlin, Parish of Killead, Co. Antrim, Ireland.   There were also a lot of Blackadders in Antrim around this time and a couple of generations earlier so i'd say his mother was also born in Co. Antrim.  I'm still trying to confirm when his mothers Blackadder line came from Scotland to Ireland without much luck, but when i get a few more solid clues i'll send for more certificates which hopefully will shed a bit more light.  His maternal grandparents line [William and Jane BLACKETER] is speculative at the moment but this is the couple that fits the bill the best so far.

Cheers
Sarndra
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline Pam Chetland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 13 July 09 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarndra

Thank you for sending the information on the Blackadders, it was very interesting, when I lived in Falkirk my ex husbands best friend was Ernest Blackadder who was Elizabeth Blackadder's cousin

Regards
Pam

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 13 July 09 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarndra

Thank you for sending the information on the Blackadders, it was very interesting, when I lived in Falkirk my ex husbands best friend was Ernest Blackadder who was Elizabeth Blackadder's cousin

Regards
Pam

Excellent Pam :-)

Pleased you enjoyed it... and yes it's a small world really isn't it!

S
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Blackadder in Falkirk- Rennie in Kilsyth
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 28 November 10 23:45 GMT (UK) »
DDJJake, I am researching my Rennie family of Kilsyth, Stoneyinch, and Dunipace, and St. Ninians.  Perhaps we have a connection.
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline Waikakalass

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 24 April 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
Realise this is an old thread - but just a note my great grandfather was William Harvey - son of Euphemia Blackadder and William Harvey on the gravestone at St Ninians - William jnr travelled to NZ. My grandmother grew up in an orphanage but did recieve proceeds from Euphemia's estate. Sir George Harvey was my Gt grandfather's uncle however I do not think you will find my great grandad on many family trees as he disappeared to NZ. However Euphemia knew of his family as she remembered them in her will. William was also a watchmaker by trade. Willaim Harvey Jnr had 4 children (there were 6 siblings in the family - complicated). He married Alice Ester Bass. He died in Invercargill in 1902 in a cart accident.

Offline k3healy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 15 May 11 15:31 BST (UK) »
I also realise that this is an old thread - hopefully it's still being looked at!  My ancestor is William Blackadder 1810-1859, possibly son of James Blackadder & Margaret Kerr.  He married Anne Poole in Sydney in 1833, & died 1859 as a result of a "fall whilst intoxicated"! He & Anne had 8 children, 5 of whom survived him.  My gggrandfather was his son James.

I have searched everywhere I can think of, & can find no record of William's journey to Australia - presumably around 1830.  This in itself would indicate that he was not a convict, but whether he was an "assisted immigrant" or worked or paid his passage, I don't know. 

My questions are, how can I be sure that he is James & Margaret's son, & how did he get here?  Can anyone help?

I am happy to provide details of Australian descendants, by the way.
Thank you in advance
Kim

Offline plunk47

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 14:42 BST (UK) »
With reference to Blackadder Motor Company in Falkirk, can it be confirmed that this was set up by a member of the Blackadder family, and has NO direct connection with the Blackadder estate of the Houstoun-Boswall family.  Alternatively, could one of the Houstoun-Boswall family have been owners / diectors of the Blackadder Motor Co.?
(Reason for the inquiry - we are researching the history of an antique car once owned by the HB family and think it might have been supplied through the Blackadder Motor co (who were Rover dealers).  This would be more likely if there was a family connection) 

Offline halcyon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Waikakalass
Like your opening statement, I realise too that this is an old thread. However having just been visiting family roots in Stirling (we live in Auckland) our interest has been renewed in research done some time ago by my father. My grandfather and your grandmother will have been siblings. He was John Harvey - the eldest or second eldest I think of the 5 or 6 children (complicated, as you say) of Alice Bass - and my father Ian is the youngest child of John. My father is still alive and living in Auckland, having grown up in the North East Valley of Dunedin. I would love to share and explore the family background further with you. To do so on this forum, we need to each have posted 3 times before we can use the Private Massage facility and exchange email addresses. Simply confirming that you have received this from me will be one more for you, as I understand it.

I so deeply hope that this does come to you and that you see fit to respond.

Sincerely
Simon George Harvey

Offline moore-canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 14 July 14 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

I am off the Euphemia Richie Blackadder line in Canada...are you off Mary's line? 

Let me know I might be able to give you some information.