Author Topic: Darby Courtney  (Read 8072 times)

Offline bankie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Darby Courtney
« on: Friday 28 December 07 15:36 GMT (UK) »
I’m looking for any information on the following family:

William Darby was born in Ireland, and died Bef. 1880.  He married Elizabeth Courtney.  She was born in Ireland, and died Bef. 1880. Child of William Darby and Elizabeth Courtney is: William Darby, b. Abt. 1829, Coalisland; Tyrone; Ireland; d. 19 Dec 1880, Kilmarnock; Ayrshire; Scotland. He married AGNES MORGAN11 Aug 1849 in Dalry; Ayrshire; Scotland

Kind regards

Joe
Scotland, Donegal, Maybole, New Zealand, USA

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Darby Courtney
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 December 07 16:25 GMT (UK) »
It's likely that there'll be more information in Scottish records than ones in Ireland. Civil registration of births, deaths & Catholic marriages only began in 1864 (from 1845 for Protestant marriages). For earlier dates you need to check for church records (if they still exist).
Have you checked to see if William Darby and Elizabeth Courtney also moved to Scotland?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bankie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 December 07 12:51 GMT (UK) »
I have most of the Darby side from Scotland, USA and New Zealand but was hoping that someone may have a sister/brother of William and Elizabeth in their family tree in Ireland. I also checked the Scotland census but there were no family staying with William and Agnes.

Thanks
Joe

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 December 07 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I also checked the Scotland census but there were no family staying with William and Agnes.
Relatives might have been living nearby not nec. in the household during the census.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blue Belle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe,

One of your Kiwi connections here. Don't know what info I last passed on to you but found a marriage record for Elizabeth Courtney to Thomas Darby on 6 Dec 1824 in Coalisland. It turns out the name given for William Darby's death certificate was a mistake i.e. father being William when it should have been Thomas.

Thomas is also confirmed in the 1841 census for the family. Thomas, Elizabeth and William are all living in Whitburn, Lothian (I think from memory). A second son, John, was born c1844 in Glasgow. He married twice and had 10 children. Unfortunately a large number of them died in infancy. John, himself, died from laudanum poisoining in 1888.

Can provide you with updated info on what I've found if you want to send me an e-mail.

Regards,

Jodie.

Offline bankie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 April 09 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jodie

Sorry I missed your post my computer was down for few months, but I’m back. Very interesting post good info. I don’t know if you already have this information. I was also sent information from a relative of John Darby 1859 regards his marriage to Mary McFarlane. Mary McFarlane was a widow when he married her, with 3 children, John, Mary and Peter. She was 26 when she married John and had two sons; one named Thomas and unknown. Thomas was born in Cambuslang in 1902. He married Margaret Currie in 1932 in Haddington, East Lothian. They had 4 children, Peter (now deceased), Maureen, Ann and Thomas. This was sent to me by Ann’s great aunt

Thanks again

Joe

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline mullens

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 July 09 01:36 BST (UK) »
My records show Agnes Morgan is my great-great grandmother.
Married William, they had John J Who died in Kentucky in the early 1900's

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 July 09 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

There is a courtney thread on the armagh board.  The area where the courneys are from in armagh is not that far from the tyrone border, here is the link   http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,388634.0.html

I hope you find a connection.

regards aljepeka
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline spacevortex

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 April 10 12:10 BST (UK) »
My records show Agnes Morgan is my great-great grandmother.
Married William, they had John J Who died in Kentucky in the early 1900's

My Records also show this but im struggling with some conflicting information when i get back to Johns parents.
my line back is my Nan Catherine who was the eldest of the family to my great grandfather Patrick who was johns Son. my mum has Patricks birth certificate or a copy of this as its dated the 29th december 1919, possibly the original got lost or he needed this to get married. The parents are listed as John Darby coal miner and Marry Ann Darby (M A Mullan) but nothing came up until i started to look at Mullen.

My mum told me there was always some secrecy surrounding John and no one in the family really talked about it. The story she managed to get was that he left Kilmarnock to work a team of horses for a rich Irish family (possibly Tobacco) there he met and married the daughter, so she married beneath herself. She later died giving birth and he lived with someone else the elder children we basically kicked out on the streets. John bought 2 tickets for him and Patrick to go to America but during this time John’s brother was on the run from the police and he used Patrick’s ticket instead.
When John died I’m told that a black man who looked after him wrote to the family requesting if he could keep johns belongings including a watch. The family wrote back and said keep his belongings. That was the last they heard.

The story does seem a little out of some romantic novel, and research has shown  different.....