Author Topic: St Raphael's House, Torquay  (Read 34470 times)

Offline suffolkpunch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Raphael's House, Torquay
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 16:10 BST (UK) »
i never had any dealings with her,but thinking back, she was quite stern looking, i dont think, those thick glasses, did a lot for her

Offline good

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Does anyone know anything about King Alfred Military instituion that was in Torquay in 1911 .
Dawn

Offline Emma-louise Gister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 28 May 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
I've been most interested by the many replays to your message.
I came on here to search anything I could find on St.Raffles, Torquay. I was born at St. Raffles in 1967. My Father was a master at Pitt House School, at that time the House was referred to as the lodge.
My father had moved with my mother from Edinburgh to Torquay for the job and were allowed to live in St. Raffles while they bought a house. They were only able to use to rooms as it cost so much to heat. I was born in the master bedroom. I still live in Torquay. Mr father was Mr John Gordon for any ex boys that may read this. He was the P.E. master and English master for many years.

Offline Emma-louise Gister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 28 May 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, my dad was the P.E. master and English master at Pit House for many years. Mr Sneddon was the owner and Head Master at the school. It was his passion, and he honestly wanted to help the boys. However his ideology may be flawed be modern standards.
The boys were mostly from inner cities, and had been or were at risk of becoming in trouble with the police or excluded from school. Some of the boys simply had nowhere else to go, and were at risk of harm.
I was born at the school, my mum repared the boys clothes. I have fond memories of the school and some of the boys.

Offline adrian64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 28 July 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise Adrian Hilton here ..Yes your Dad a great man was my maths teacher in T1 class 1977-1978 and as you say P.E instructor.Your Lodge you lived in still stands and was St Raphaels Lodge just up from Little St Raphaels and directly opposite Lyncombe Lodge the only surviving structures of the school now sadly as the rest of the doomed rubble of the once amazing buildings is buried under a leisure park complex in Paignton. Back with all concerned very soon to up load one amazing collection of the two buildings St Lukes and St Raphaels from 1800s to 1950 plus your love what your going to see.Phs Group

Offline adrian64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 29 July 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Does anyone know anything about King Alfred Military instituion that was in Torquay in 1911 .
Dawn
Dawn, check with the Torquay Library or the one at Newton Abbot your find info there trust me Adrian Hilton

Offline Lovesplants

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hello, it’s been amazing reading all of the comments about the history of St Raphaels. We now live in St Raphael’s Lodge and would love to see any old photos that people have, or any stories or details about the house.

Many thanks for all your posts