Author Topic: What happened to Emma Jane Hales  (Read 11371 times)

Online Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Emma Jane Hales
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Alan,

We have sent you a PM regarding the 1871 census and with regards to the "Hale" & "Hales" names, other than mis-spelling/transcriptions, the names do not appear to be inter-changeable.

Al & Al
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Surnames : Buss (Kent), D'Alton (Wimbledon), Millington (Hawarden), Hales (Kent), Mackie (Guernsey), Rabjohns (Devon), Roberts (Norfolk), Roser (Kent), Stevens (Buckinghamshire and Middlesex), Townshend (Norfolk), Weatherburn, Whiddett (Kent), Young (Kent)

Offline Jenny M A Leigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 January 17 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Alta

I'm Jennifer Leigh and in resuming family tree tracing in the computer age (I stopped doing it in 1993) I just did a google search on my great grandmother's name which is Emma Jane Hales from Kent and she indeed married a James William Leigh.  She and he on their honeymoon emigrated to Australia and I'm a direct descendent of theirs. James and Emma left England on the TAGLIAFERRO landed in Rockhampton on the 12.3.1887         

Before I gave up family tree tracing in the mid 1990's I had established that Emma and various numbers of her children made at least 4 trips back to the UK, staying there for varying lengths of time.  I suspect her family must have paid for her and the childrens' passage.

Just to further confirm she is the same one you want to know about - her father was George Henry Hales (& reported to be a butcher) and mother was Emily Brooks ?.  My EJH was born in Chalk Pit Hill, Chatham, Kent, UK on 2.7.1867.  If she is the same one you are looking for then she lived a full life and died in Mt Morgan, Queensland, Australia on 29.7.1960.

What's your interest in EJH assuming it is the same one?
Look forward to hearing from you
Cheers
Jen

Emma Jane Hales  19 father George married  James  Leigh age 21 father William Jan 18 1886   St James Gravesend   Record  can be found on City Ark register item 10 marriages 1877-1900 image  #372.

There is a James Leigh  b Sunridge Kent in 71/81census that could be the groom but I can't find  him in 1891/01 .

I am  interested in all  Kent  Hales.

Online Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 January 17 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Jen,

Many thanks for your posting, I had forgotten how long ago that I was looking into this family and yes, this is the same family with George being a Butcher in Chatham as shown in the 1881, 1891 & 1901 Census.  I was able to track down the marriage of Emma and James Leigh and their subsequent emigration a few years ago, so it is good that you have confirmed the same.

My connection with the Hales is via my Mothers family and having started a number of years ago, I decided to branch out to all of the connecting Kent Hales and create a One Name collection.

There is still one child of George Hales that I have been unable to trace and this is Anne (born in 1859) who I have been unable to trace after the 1871 Census – do you know where she went, who she married etc ?

If you require any details concerning the Kent Hales, please let me know.

Thanks,

Al
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Surnames : Buss (Kent), D'Alton (Wimbledon), Millington (Hawarden), Hales (Kent), Mackie (Guernsey), Rabjohns (Devon), Roberts (Norfolk), Roser (Kent), Stevens (Buckinghamshire and Middlesex), Townshend (Norfolk), Weatherburn, Whiddett (Kent), Young (Kent)

Offline Jenny M A Leigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 January 17 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Al

Am I excited!   I phoned on Sunday my 2nd cousin who is born and lives in Mt Morgan to talk about your email, and Rosie too is excited.  When I read out your response she then told me that Grannie Leigh (as we know her - you EJH) also corresponded with her brother who emigrated to Canada.  You know doubt know about him.

Rosie knows this as due to her mother's early death it was Grannie Leigh who raised her, her younger brother and along with her father all 4 lived together until Rosie left home on her marriage and even then they linked as Rosie set up house beside Grannie Leigh.  Due to EJH's long life, Rosie has both child and adult memories and conversations with her.   This reality totally escaped me until we were talking about your reply.

I would simply love anything you have on the Hales and in turn I will send you what I have on EJH including photos.

You mentioned this was your mother's lineage - what was her name and am I right that she must be a sister to EJH?   What is this one name thingy too please?  I'm new to roots.com and indeed online family tree tracing. 

Having found your email and had such success I will be resuming my family tree tracing for certain.

Many thanks for being willing to share and I look forward to hearing more about how we each fit in the Hales 'zoo'.

cheers

Jen

Online Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 January 17 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Jen,

Apologies for the delay in my reply, but unfortunately work gets in the way of genealogy!

Whilst we are related (Emma Jane Hales being a first cousin, twice removed of my mother), the common ancestor goes back to a James Hales born 1802 in Hartlip, Kent who is Emma’s Grandfather and my mothers Great Great Grandfather.

I decided to do a One-Name study of the Kent Hales Surname (i.e. to research the genealogy and family history of all persons with a given surname) as going back through generations there appeared to be a large number of Hales in the Kent area and I wanted to see how they all related – resulting to date, in having over 1,000 connected Hales !

If you would like more details concerning your ‘branch’ of the Hales family, please let me know.

Al

Offline Jenny M A Leigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 15 January 17 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Alan

this is my 2nd go at replying to your email, as the previous version had problems sending an attachment.

I fully understand the issue of work getting in the way - I too am in the same place and already the desire to restart family tracing in the computer age is falling to the side of work pressures.  I work for myself, so its very much a case of no work no income, so it is often a priority more than it should be.

Thanks for the info on which part of the tree you come through from.  Wow, effectively 2 generations back from Emma.     You must have done the most amazing amount of work to tackle all the Hales in Kent.  What an undertaking and I feel very humbled as your commitment.

I would simply love to have anything on my branch you are willing to share.  In the 1st email I attached what I have done, but the file size, even zipped was too big.  By any chance to you use dropbox or some other form of large file transfer software?  If so I'm happy to use this method to get my 'stuff' (poor no doubt in comparison to your opus) to you.

By the way, do you live in the UK?   Surely you must to make accessing records etc that much easier.

I and Rosie are loving the thought of what might be coming our way.

We would be very appreciative of whatever you could send us.

Look forward to your next email

Cheers and thanks

Jen

Offline Jenny M A Leigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hiya Alan

I haven't heard from you since my reply ( 15th January) to your response.   
Did it come through but work is in the way?

I was wondering if you were at all interested in meeting up, as I will be in the UK later this year from 27th Oct to 9th Nov.   I would dearly love to meet you and at this meeting perhaps we could exchange our information. As I will have a hire car I can come to you where ever you are.

As per my previous reply my file is too big for roots  chat but am very happy to send it via something like drop box or similar. 
I am also still interested in obtaining whatever information you might have on Emma Jane Hales' family.
cheers
Jen