Author Topic: George McLeod the piper  (Read 7435 times)

Offline Margaret M

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George McLeod the piper
« on: Sunday 30 December 07 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of research done into the Durness George McLeod (or George McLeods) the piper?  It seems that there are problems in reconciling the dating of some of the events in his life, raising the question: are there two George McLeod pipers in Durness?

"George McLeod the piper" appears in well-known references in Rob Donn's poetry, in which he is a close friend of the poet.  Ian Grimble (page 108) draws attention to Patrick Macdonald "seeking out the company of the piper and the bard" after he returned home in 1754. 

Rob Donn gives an account of his friend marrying a Catherine Mackay who had previously had an illegitimate child by someone else.  The second wife of Donald fourth Lord Reay also features in the story.  Lord Donald died in 1757, and in the poetry there is no indication that this marriage occurred after his death.  Lady Reay is not described as a widow or a dowager, and the account fits the general pattern of life at Balnakeil in the late 1740s and 1750s. 

If the events in Rob Donn occurred in the 1740s-1750s, this would not fit in with references in the Durness OPR to the marriage of a George McLeod piper to a Catherine Mackay from Kinlochbervie in February 1775, and the birth of two children - a son John and a daughter Barbara -  in February 1776 and September 1777, both in Sartigrim.

To add to the puzzle, there is also a George McLeod piper to Lord Eric (and subsequently the Staffords/Sutherlands) from 1797 to his death about 1854 in various locations in Tongue.  Does he come from the same family as the Durness piper(s)?  All we know is that he is almost undoubtedly the son of a Donald McLeod who was a tenant in one of the settlements at the foot of Ben Loyal  before 1797.  There is  in addition a George McLeod, a tenant in Tongue in 1789, who would appear to be quite old, but there is no indication whether he was a piper or not.

What started this trail for us was that the John McKay Gow the Ground Officer of Tongue, mentioned in an earlier posting, was married to a Barbara McLeod.  We began looking at McLeods in Durness, and came across what looks like an anomaly. Perhaps someone who knows about piping history can sort it out.

Margaret M

Offline sceahlott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George McLeod the piper
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 December 14 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret, this may not help at all but we have a George McLeod who was a piper born in tongue, sutherland in 1834.  He emigrated to New Zealand and later paid for his parents and siblings to emigrate also.

In information I have George was the son of Donald McLeod born 1809 who was described a a sawyer or carpenter.  Apparently the eldest sons of this family were traditional pipers to the Dukes of sutherland.

donald mcleod married isabella sutherland.  Donalds father may also have been a george mcLeod born 1776 Durness, and his father was angus b1745 who married katherine Mackay b 1753.  This information was from ancestry and some from familysearch websites.

I thought the piper connection was very interesting, will let you know if I find anything else in my research.
cheers
Leah from New Zealand

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 December 14 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leah,

Margaret had been having problems with her emails not working, hopefully I have now managed to get a message to her.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sceahlott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 December 14 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you sarah