Author Topic: General Sir Alexander WALLACE and family in India pre 1903  (Read 22097 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: General Sir Alexander WALLACE and family in India pre 1903
« Reply #81 on: Monday 16 November 20 18:20 GMT (UK) »
John, I already have!  (Informed thefriendacrosstheroad)
Another feature about that photo of your grandmother and great-grandmother is the appearance of what appears to be a couple of thinnish bricks placed on the floor against both doors.  Maybe to keep out anything/anyone creeping in while the picture was being taken!
Such lovely photos, all five of them, thanks so much for posting them on here.  This thread has now received over 17,000 curious viewings since its instigation in 2008...
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 16 November 20 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Posts crossed in the ether there...
I'll leave you both, Pete and John, to chew over that bit of family history, I think.
Keith

Offline kirkwood2689

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 16 November 20 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete,

Just asked my mother and unfortunately she doesn't know anything about that bit of the family which is a shame!

So glad that this has got to that initial friend and other people as I was gutted to see how long ago all this started and thought this might go unread!

Kind regards,
John

Offline kirkwood2689

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Monday 16 November 20 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Also got sent this from my mother with some info so hopefully this can maybe help? Might have to save it and zoom in!

Kind regards,
John

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 16 November 20 22:45 GMT (UK) »
John,
I first posted on here 16 long years ago, and even now I get Rootschatters coming on threads I started all that time ago hoping that particular ancestral trail hasn't gone completely cold.  This one certainly has some mileage left in it, I feel sure...
Keith

Offline Jim C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

Good to see this is still running. I posted some years ago! Your great grandmother Ethel Helen Debonaire Mary (Mollie]) Wallace was my wife's great aunt. As you know she was the sister of Alexander Ross Wallace - he was my wife's grandfather. He was variously in the Indian Civil Service, Headmaster of Sherborne School and Dean of Exeter Cathedral. Her father was Ian Alexander Wallace - one time Headmaster of Canford School.
The family originated in Aberdeenshire. One Alexander Wallace moved to Calcutta in early 1840s and married Helen Davidson Paton. His father was Fraser Wallace and his father in turn was another Alexander Wallace. That's as far as one can go because the parish records give out!
Thanks for posting such great photos. I've put them on the family tree!
Jim Caughey

Offline Robert Neill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 24 July 23 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Researching more about Maj Gen Sir A Wallace (my wife's one of his great grand daughters through the male line) via Google, I have come across Rootschat and all these posts.   
Like other newbies I'm in awe of what you have all researched about the Wallaces and hope this finds you all (still) alive and posting.
Regards,

Robert
PS Jim C's the man for Wallace family tree stuff