Author Topic: O'DONOVAN of C19th Clonakilty  (Read 4100 times)

Offline KaeDee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'DONOVAN of C19th Clonakilty
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 October 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi  Fenian1956,

Sadly Keith, I am not getting ahead. I had hoped that by talking on rootschat others would come forward and share information.
From two contacts, both suddenly know nothing.  One contacted me with shared DNA, (not my DNA, this surname belongs to my in-laws) but as soon as I mentioned the surname O'Donovan being the common link, I heard no more.
The other, did not know who their grandparents were and did not want to talk about it.
Grrr!
An in-law suggested I must have made it up, as their family was never involved with any plots, battles or uprising! Do I make another brick wall in the family tree?

And to your question - Yes, New Zealand is a Rugby nation - we even dress our babies as All Blacks!
I live in Napier.

Lets hope this response gets replies - there must be other researchers keen to put this family tree together. The Donovan's of Clonakilty, Cork certainly had large families!

KaeDee

Kilgour - New Zealand
Colledge - New Zealand
Smith - Ararua, New Zeland
Craven - Nottingham & Calais, France - to New Zealand
Fletcher - Kent, England to Onehunga, New Zealand

Offline Fenian1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 October 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Kia ora KaeDee!  It can be frustrating!  I have a definite family connection to Tadgh Asia (O" Donavon).

He led the west Cork element of the 1798 Rebellion (United Irishmen).  Has been part of our family history and legend, for generations!  Have left you a link below.  My g grandmother, Mary O' Donavon, was a descendent of his.  The family were invited as guests to the unveiling of the statue in Clonakilty.

Haven't really explored that line yet.  Focussing on the Collins line from Bandon, very close to Clonakilty! Hoping for a link to Big Mick Collins, born near Bandon and a legend.
Loved Autearoa!  Nearest we were to you last year was, I believe Palmerston North!

Keep in touch and I will start O'Donavon line shortly!
Ka kite/hwyl fawr/ slan

https://www.failteromhat.com/southernstar/page17.php

Keith
COLLINS, HURLEY, O`DONAVON, MADDEN,
DE COURCY, BARRY, DEMPSEY, MURPHY, SULLIVAN, CORCORAN, HAYES (West Cork)
 MURPHY, PARLE (Wexford)
REES, JENKINS (Swansea)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 November 19 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget there is a big O'DONOVAN Clan Gathering in June 2020 in West Cork. It has its own Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/282663512267639/