Author Topic: Flask Lane, Pimlico flattened for Victoria Station?  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Flask Lane, Pimlico flattened for Victoria Station?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 January 08 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jannorth
I am in the UK, but now live in Cornwall, so am quite a distance from London and Essex.
The missing 1851 Essex census is a real nuisance because it is the first one that gives birthplaces.  Also I have a few people who died betweeen 1841 and 1861 and it is harder to pin down the correct death registration.
The missing 1841 census might just have had my husband's East India Company ancestors on it.  Their house was uninhabited in 1851 when I am fairly sure they were back in India. I believe the Westminster Archives has some other records that may be of help to me but I need to check.
The missing 1861 census is my worst problem because I had hoped to track down on it a particularly elusive ancestor.
You can manage without the odd census return but it definitely makes finding the correct BMDs harder and you always have that feeling that you are missing something!
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jannorth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 January 08 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I wish you both happy searching, I now live in Cape Town which makes research that little more difficult but I have a cousin a little more active back in the UK who has even managed to contact living relatives we did not know of so who knows what will turn up.  The worst part is that much of the "easy information" was buried when my two uncles and aunt passed away.  If only we had spoken more!

All the best
Prater, North and Cochrane in the Kent, Middlesex and London area. 
Wood, Inglis and Dougald in the Aryshire and Lanarkshire area.

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 January 08 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I was lucky that my lot were in their twenties and producing children. And the surname is quite unusual. So I looked up births in the area, and when I found a child with the same name as father and grandfather, I took a gamble, and bought a birth certificate. It was the wrong family!  :-\  But a second certificate was right, and I managed to trace them that way.

Is that an option for you, Jan? They're not Smiths are they?  ;)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline jannorth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 January 08 21:03 GMT (UK) »
No they are not Smiths but there are turning out to be more Norths and Prater's than I expected!  I did follow the wrong lead with a Scottish name and ended up with several generations only to be told that I has picked up one incorrect name, when I bought the correct wedding certificate it shed a whole new light on the whole picture - amazing what a couple of pounds investment can produce!

Where would we be without the internet and on-line Census!  Still checking gravestones and such I guess.

Offline Tigsy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 March 08 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I had relatives living on St Georges Terrace Pimlico which I assume was also flattened by the Victoria Railway line, they moved to Lillingston Street, which also no longer exists.
How did you find out that Flask Lane was flattened?
Kind regards
COLLINS - St Pancras, Kentish Town
LANGLEY - Kentish Town, Camden, Islington, Barnet
MCDONALD - St Pancras, London
CARTER - Kentish Town
HOWARD - Pimlico, Kentish Town, Surrey, Sussex
PROUDLEY - Kent, Sussex
TAYLOR - Devon
GREEN - Somerset
BARRELL - St Pancras, London
ANDERSON - Pimlico, Kentish Town
BROWN - Fenton, Staffs
BRUNT - Fenton/Longton Staffs

Offline jannorth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 March 08 01:59 GMT (UK) »
By using Google I was able to get some old maps and a few snippets of info on new buildings that had been erected in the location but have not found any definitive information as to exactly what happened.  I believe that all the census records for around that time in the Pimlico area were also lost which does not help.

Regards

Jan

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 March 08 06:22 GMT (UK) »
I had relatives living on St Georges Terrace Pimlico which I assume was also flattened by the Victoria Railway line, they moved to Lillingston Street, which also no longer exists.

What a coincidence! My lot were in Lillington Street in the 1860's! No 85 - when and where were yours?

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline Tigsy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 March 08 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Ok, if you are interested I am working close to the Westminster archives office next week, although I won't have much time in my lunch hour I am happy to check if there are any old photos of Flask Lane for you.
Kind regards, Chris
CARTER - Kentish Town
PROUDLEY - Kent, Sussex
TAYLOR - Devon
GREEN - Somerset
BROWN - Fenton, Staffs

Offline Tigsy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 March 08 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, undernoted is the information I have.  I may have a map and a photo of Lillington Street I could email you if you are interested.  Couldn't find the existence of St Georges Terrace until I purchased a map from one of the magazines - it was just on the border of the railway line.

What about your relations - kind regards

16th April 1850 – living at 16 St Georges Terrace when his son William Edmond was born – occupation was a Policeman
1851 Census – Police Constable living at St Georges Terrace, Belgrave
1855 Promoted to Police Sergeant
1860 Promoted to Police Inspector
1861 Census – Inspector of Met Police - living at 63 Lillington Street, Westminster – with Jane, George, William and Catherine
1867 retired from Met Police
1871 Census – Resident for Peabody – living at 5 Southblock, St Marys, Islington only Caroline living at home and niece Anne C Howard who was registered as a Domestic Servant
CARTER - Kentish Town
PROUDLEY - Kent, Sussex
TAYLOR - Devon
GREEN - Somerset
BROWN - Fenton, Staffs