Author Topic: HARRIS, SHERRATT, East Anglia  (Read 41441 times)

Offline I forget

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: HARRIS, SHERRATT, East Anglia
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 18 April 09 15:32 BST (UK) »
  :) Thanks Sharon. 

My cousin has been sending me a large amount of research on the Sherratt's and today I've just got a few things that she has on the Harris/Thorpe side of things. 

Appart from some wonderful pics (does anyone who has the wedding photo of Sylvia Thorpe/John Harris 1898 have any idea who the other people in the wedding group are? - I know the photo has been mentioned before), she did say that Sylvia Thorpe's mother Eliza Sarah Thorpe (married to James) maiden name was SLY  and that she thinks this may be the census record for them:

RG9/1244/75/ page 29

I haven't had time to transcribe it yet

Any comments welcome.

Cindy
LANCASHIRE: Briscoe, Taylor, Hamilton, Cutts, Mousdell, Dixon, Fairclough, Dingle, Pennington, Ingham, Martin, Pinnington, Haselden, Molyneux
CHESHIRE/DENBEIGHSHIRE: Briscoe, Gibson, Tudor

SCOTLAND: Hunt, Murray, Docherty, Malley, Cameron, Colman, Middleton, Mason, Drummond, Gourdale, Fraser

East Anglia/East Midlands/Traveller: Harris, Gray, Thorpe, Sherratt, Sly, (Twigdon, Fendick, Clarke) Jackson, Rowe

Offline cnorris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hi :o)  First time on RootsChat!!! Hoping someone might know of the Harris' who came from Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire (I was told they were Romanys and from the 'famous' Harris') particularly anything about John Harris born 1808 Flaxley, Forest of Dean he married Elizabeth ? born 1811 Newland also Forest of Dean they then moved to Sedgely in the Black Country where all their children were born. My direct decendant is Tamar harris born 1886 in Lower Gornal, Sedgley (John Harris' Granddaughter).  Hope its not to confusing? Cheers.

Offline JulieTawse

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 19 April 12 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am an Australian descended from the Gray family of Gamlingay Cambridgeshire: Zachariah Gray and his son George Paine Gray.
George Paine Gray emigrated to Emerald Hill (South Melbourne), Victoria. His daughter Jessie Ballantyne Gray is my great grandmother. Other Gray relatives (nephew?) migrated and set up in rural Warragul area, Victoria.

I gather from this chat that the Grays were of gypsy line. Does that include all the local Grays? If so, can anyone tell me where to find research into the gypsies of this area?

Regards,
Julie

Offline Lesley1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 19 April 12 15:09 BST (UK) »
Sent you a message Julie
Norfolk: Freezer, Winter, Tye, Twigg, Harman, Osborn, Sieley, Wray, Gray, Saddleton/Sadler, Ray, Elliott, Copling, Newstead, Parsley, Payne, Purple, Watkins, Atmore, Butters, Boyce,

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 21 November 14 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Posting this on behalf of Nightmare who had clicked accidentally on the wrong button  :)

Sarah

Hi David & Claire,

I really don't have any further facts to add to your existing information regarding Hiram Wilson & Abigail Bird other than Hiram's father is allegedly William Wilson. This William Wilson also had another son named Mark Wilson b. c 1855, who married Eliza Thorpe, b 1848 Cambridge. This couple then in tun also had a son named Hiram Wilson, b. 1881 who married Euphemia Harris 1906, Bury, St Edmunds, Cambridge.

There's further connections to the Harris family with Hiram's (b. 1881) sister Beatrice b. 1884,  who married 1902, Bury, St Edmunds, Cambridge, Alger Taylor, b. 1882 Thetford, Norfolk. Alger's mother was Sophia Harris.

The Lamb family are also tied up with the Waterfield, Gray & Harris family as well.

I haven't delved into this family unit for quite some time now but I will have a further snoop around & run all of this by a cousin of mine in England, I'll let you know what if anything else we can find to update this family unit.

Cheers for now
Gary
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 21 November 14 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for their help with the Harris's Grays and Wilsons,

story unravelling well now , clave