Author Topic: HARRIS, SHERRATT, East Anglia  (Read 41505 times)

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: HARRIS, SHERRATT, East Anglia
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 February 08 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cindy

There's a Sylvester Harris in the Births Index in December quarter 1904 in St Ives registration district, Huntingdonshire. That's not far  from where John Harris and Sylvester Thorpe were in the 1901 census.

Have you discarded this one?

Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline I forget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 February 08 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

Yes please, any info would be helpful.  No connection I know of with Brownhills (this is in the 'Black Country near Birmingham), but Wisbech is a place that rings a bell. 

They were in/around Boston, Lincs for many years, and got married in Spalding Registry office, with both giving addresses in Spalding. (5 High Street, in her case) Sylvester is '21 years' in 1922.  Both her and Walter's father are down as 'General Dealers'.  Walter's address was 'Commercial Road, Spalding'

I will need to check her death entry, but I think she was in her 80's when she died (1982).  She could have been younger and just saying she was 21,  so the 1904 birth entry is a possibility, but I will need to check the age at death first. 

The Harris entry in 1904 is the only one that comes up on Free bmd, but I think I will  need to check in more detail.  (needs a trip to the library)  Must admit I'm a bit at sea here, as I'm used to using place as a way to narrow down the correct family.   ???

For me the places 'Wyberton, Wisbech, Spalding, Boston'  were all places my mum talked of. 

I will need to do some more digging and see if I can come up with more info on my Great Grandmother (mother to Sylvester), need to look at some of the pictures and see if there's a name, and also a death entry in the 1960's which might help.  (I know she died between the mid 60s and early 70's).

Sorry I can't give you any thing else as yet....

Cindy
LANCASHIRE: Briscoe, Taylor, Hamilton, Cutts, Mousdell, Dixon, Fairclough, Dingle, Pennington, Ingham, Martin, Pinnington, Haselden, Molyneux
CHESHIRE/DENBEIGHSHIRE: Briscoe, Gibson, Tudor

SCOTLAND: Hunt, Murray, Docherty, Malley, Cameron, Colman, Middleton, Mason, Drummond, Gourdale, Fraser

East Anglia/East Midlands/Traveller: Harris, Gray, Thorpe, Sherratt, Sly, (Twigdon, Fendick, Clarke) Jackson, Rowe

Offline I forget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 February 08 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

Have had a look at the death indexes, and it seems to be coming together, Grandmother S. Harris died late enough for her d.o.b to be on the indexes, HURRAH!  and yup, its in the Sept of 1904, so strong possibility that the birth in St Ives, near Huntingdon, is her!!!   Her mother is 'Sylve Harris' on the death index and is old enough to be Sylvester harris/ nee Thorpe.

Please, when you have time, pm me and we'll exchange e-mails, so that we can keep in touch.  It may take me a while to get hold of the birth cert, etc.  I do have photos of Sylvester Harris (nee Thorpe, possibly), but only once she was old. 

Also, I would be interested in any info you can dig up on this line.  I notice you said this was only a 'side line' for you, but anything you have will be of interest and in exchange I can send you a couple of pics that you may find of interest.  Though nothing before the 1950's I'm afraid.

The only additional info I can think of at the moment is that my mum said that Gran was one of 12 children!! 

also I have found possibles for the Sherratt line, in Wellingborough, which is also not that far away, but I'm less certain of these as yet (in regards to actually buying the certs)

Thanks again, you have really helped me get going on this side of my family
 ;D

Cindy

LANCASHIRE: Briscoe, Taylor, Hamilton, Cutts, Mousdell, Dixon, Fairclough, Dingle, Pennington, Ingham, Martin, Pinnington, Haselden, Molyneux
CHESHIRE/DENBEIGHSHIRE: Briscoe, Gibson, Tudor

SCOTLAND: Hunt, Murray, Docherty, Malley, Cameron, Colman, Middleton, Mason, Drummond, Gourdale, Fraser

East Anglia/East Midlands/Traveller: Harris, Gray, Thorpe, Sherratt, Sly, (Twigdon, Fendick, Clarke) Jackson, Rowe

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for that, very interesting, certainly gives a vivid picture, even if it turns out not to be the branch of the Harris family I am interested in. 

I did wonder how Sinfi / Sinfie was spelt/written down. 

Cindy

Hi I have this name in my family and its Spelt Sinfai You will find name used by Buckland Heron Boswell

TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lavina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon and Cindy,

Re Sylvester Thorpe and John Harris.
They are linked with my husband's family.

John Harris's sister Euphemia 1887 married Hiram Wilson, brother of , ggrandmother Beatrice.

Eliza Thorpe 1849 married Mark Wilson, gggrandfather, father of Beatrice and Hiram.

I haven't worked out the connection with Eliza and Sylvester yet, but I am sure there is one.
Lool forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Lavina
Taylor Wilson Horn Gaskin Lamb. East Anglia.
Bowman Wilsdon Alexander McDonald Lancs Yorks Cumberland

Offline Lemmey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 February 08 11:02 GMT (UK) »
(also Lemontina was a cousin or something)

Hi.  I have this name in my family.  Lemontina/Lemintina/Lemontaine crops up in the Gardner and Smith families.
Croydon, Surrey - KENT, SKILTON, BESLEY, HIGGS
Surrey & Kent - GARDNER, GARDENER, GARDINER, DALLAWAY, STRUDWICK, LANE, PENFOLD (Roma/Traveller)
London - COOKE
Shropshire/Denbighshire/Montgomershire  - FRANCIS, LLOYD
Staffordshire - TOOTH, DEVALL

Offline Cuxwold

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 March 08 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am descended from the Thorpe family, my grt grandfather was Edmund Thorpe bn 1838.
He was the brother of James Thorpe bn 1851 who was the grandfather of Sylvester Thorpe who married John Harris.
I only have 2 children in the 1901 census , Mark 1900 and John 1900.
I have John Harris as having  4 siblings Arthur , Reuben who married Alice Lamb, Euphemia who married  Hiram Wilson and Rodney

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 March 08 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Hope I'm not butting in ... :-\ I have been looking around for your people.

I noticed in 1901... with Sylvester and John Harris , are  James (50 ) and Sarah Thorpe. I think that James had married before ....

Oldham , St Marys, Lancashire
Tommy Field
James Thorpe mar head hawker b cambs, kings Lyn?
Eliza wife mar 36 b Cambs, Kings Lyn?
James son 6 not attending school b Cambs Kings lyn?
Eliza dau 4              "  b York, Halifax
SILVESTER dau 3  b York, Bradford ... she married John Harris
Edmund son 7m b York , Huddersfield

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 March 08 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

i can only find one good possible birth for James and Eliza Thorpes' children;

Edmund Thorpe
sept q 1880
Huddersfield Yorkshire
vol 9a p 338

This birth cert would at least give you Eliza's maiden name .

deb  :)
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk