Author Topic: Missing piece of the puzzle- Theophilus Jones  (Read 8103 times)

Offline Yorts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing piece of the puzzle- Theophilus Jones
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 February 08 19:19 GMT (UK) »
The CWGC lists every casualty whose death was even remotely attributable to war service; this includes those who were killed in action, died of wounds, died of disease and those who died on active service. The example in question is not unusual; I have recently researched a casualty who died of cardiac disease dueing WW1 whilst serving with the marines. Although he was initially omitted from CWGC records, more recently his case was presented to them and he can now be found on the CWGC website.

The type of service number we are discussing was not introduced until 1885; prior to this date marines did have service numbers, but they were not unique and had to be used in conjunction with a company number. In fact the latter was more useful when identifying individuals, so it was more common to see individuals referred to as:

Private A.N. Other 14th Coy. RMLI

When the new numbers with a divisional prefix were introduced, all men currently serving were re-numbered. I've rechecked my notes and based on this number I'm fairly confident that he enlisted prior to 1885.

Rgds,

Alex.

Offline Yorts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 February 08 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ayashi

Welcome to the Forum. My GGGF also served in the Royal Marines, from 1855 to 1876. He was promoted to Corporal only six months before he retired – I presume to give him a bigger pension – so your GGGF did very well. In my GGGF’s time they did not have Lance Corporal, so the rank must have been introduced later. I found his records about ten years ago in Kew and was able to get A2 copies in glorious colour. As they were trying out a new colour copying service, staff at Kew took an extra copy and pinned it to the wall of the copying room as a sample for years later. They probably took it down when they let visitors take their own photographs. His name was James Plummer if anyone remembers it.

Anyway, it will be RMLI. There was also the Royal Marine Artillery. I think they finally combined in the 1920s. At some time in the 19th Century they were called Red Marines (RMLI) and Blue Marines (RMA) from the colours of their tunics. Here is a link to the online guide at TNA - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/marines/step2.htm. Knowing that he was in Plymouth will help as finding his Division is half the battle. But you will need to visit Kew or employ a researcher.

In the 1901 census, have you seen his youngest daughter over the page, and also the visitor?

Ken

Hi Ken,

I would be really interested to here more about James Plummer. Perhaps you would humour me and post a brief biography?

Rgds,

Alex.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 February 08 14:36 GMT (UK) »
That is brilliant, thank you! So he must have moved to Plymouth between 1881 and 1885. That narrows it down somewhat...  :D

Offline Stonehouse Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 October 10 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Ayashi,
Theophilus Jones grave is well known to me I don't know if you have seen it
John

Offline Stonehouse Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 October 10 17:03 BST (UK) »
Some more

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 October 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much :) Yes, a rootschatter found me the grave last year, but I'll save those photos, thanks you :D It's amazing and kinda sad how that grave is in such good condition and the graves around it are so run down...

Do you have a particular link to Theophilus and Elizabeth or do you intimately know the graveyard? I believe I may have some other relatives in that area who might have been buried there.

Offline Stonehouse Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 October 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Ayashi,
I took pictures of the grave for the Royal Marines Historical Society of which I'm a member and remembered his name Theophilus Jones I have no link to him.

John

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 October 10 21:31 BST (UK) »
Oh! Do you know anything else about him?  :o

Offline Stonehouse Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 October 10 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Ayashi,
No sorry only what is on the Commonwealth War Graves site and if you don't have it you can download his service papers online from the National Archives.
John