Author Topic: What are the chances of that?  (Read 3423 times)

Offline mazwad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What are the chances of that?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 January 08 20:24 GMT (UK) »
I googled my family name and found a forum that a first cousin in France and a second cousin in USA had posted on.  I realised from the questions they had asked each other I was definitely related to them. 

Both their e-mail addresses were there so I contacted them and between us we have pieced together a lot of family history.  Each of us had photos that were of interest to the others and it has been fun sharing. 

Definitely worth googling your family name.

Claridge, Banes, Davidson, Guthrie. West Ham area.

Offline sbram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 June 19 22:47 BST (UK) »
I believe there were a few in my family born in Gwithian. The website is http://www.miketree.co.uk/trewartha/surnlist.htm They won't be interested in non-Trewartha lines, I'm afraid (I'm not on there because she married into a different family) but I would be interested if there is a match! Go to Roger Trewartha/Barkache/Androwartha and his grandson Philip, I'm told, is the "Proto-Andrewartha". If Elias is his name, I don't recognise it on the tree. If you have parents for him, they might be on there somewhere.

I am descended from Elias Andrewartha through his daughter Martha who lived in Hensingham in Cumberland. I'd be interested in any information about why Elias left Gwithian (I suspect it was due to lack of work in the dwindling Cornish mining industry) and whether anyone has any more information about Elias' ancestors? (the miketree link no longer works)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 June 19 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

I still have some information from that original site. Do you know who Elias' parents were? I'm afraid I wouldn't know anything on a personal level.

-Edit: If your Elias is the one ch. 1814 to John and Salomi, those parents do appear on that tree although only two children were attached and it looks like the later ones omitted.

According to the original source (not my research)

Parents:
John ANDREWARTHA ch 08 Mar 1772 Gwithian died or buried 23 Nov 1831 Redruth
Salomi or Sarah HAMMILL ch 22 Sep 1776 Gwinear buried 04 Jun 1859 Redruth

The lineage as given (with dates, but it will take me a while and it's 1am!)
Grandparents - Philip ANDREWARTHA and Alice AMBROSE
Great Grandparents - Philip ANDREWARTHA and Elinor MICHELL
2 x Great Grandparents - Philip ANDREWARTHA and Mary COCK
3 x Great Grandparents - John TREWARTHA and Mary CARTHEW
4 x Great Grandparents - Philip TREWARTHA and Agnes COCKE
5 x Great Grandfather - Roger TREWARTHA / BARKACHE / ANDREWARTHA

I should say that Roger was contested by a different cousin of mine (giving Philip's father instead as John) and with both parties being stubborn people I opted not to take sides. I can't confirm any of this research at all especially I am descended from Philip's supposed brother, William, although I can say that DNA has confirmed my line back to Robert TREWARTHA and Tamsin JACK, who (if correct) are Roger/John/Whoever's great grandson/dau in law.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 June 19 07:28 BST (UK) »
Researching a new family line, a friend found for me a pew seating plan for the family  in question in the churchwarden records of Lyme Regis.
Sitting on the empty places in the pew are members of the Pyne family of Lyme Regis.
My family name (Pyme/Pine), and there probably is a distant connection.
What are the chances of that?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 June 19 09:27 BST (UK) »
My best find came from googling an unusual middle name with the surname Taylor. Up came a family prayer book, listing the then unknown death dates of my 2g grandparents in Norfolk and even some death dates for family here in Australia :-)
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk