Author Topic: Mary Ann Phillips Death/Burial Look Up Please  (Read 4241 times)

Offline easy12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Phillips Death/Burial Look Up Please
« on: Monday 07 January 08 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    could somebody help me find info on Mary Ann Phillips's death/ burial.
I have tried the BMD's with no luck. Her details are;-
Maiden name Nation born c1826 in Bridgewater, Somerset, to a John Nation and mother unknown ( by me anyway ).
Married George Phillips b 1824 in Stanton, Suffolk, on 18/01/1896 in St Johns Church, Paddington.
Last official record that I have of her existence is the 1861 Census return placing her at 22 London Street, Paddington with her son Arthur Phillips, b 1860 at Paddington, as a Lodging House Keeper.
George Phillips goes on to remarry in 1867 October Qtr in Brighton and is listed on this marriage cert as a widower.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
The one DC I did find was the incorrect one and this was for a death on 09/03/1867 in Islington.
Many thanks in advance
easy12 :)
Phillips-Suffolk,Middlesex,Sussex,NZ
Edwards-Sussex,USA
Read-Dorset,Sussex, Canada?NZ
Welch-Sussex, Surrey, Ireland?
Stanley(Romany)-Sussex area
Temple-Middlesex
Phelps-Glos,Middlesex,USA

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Phillips Death/Burial Look Up Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Easy12,

If you look for deaths for a Mary instead of Mary Ann, there are several possibilties in & around the area Islington.    I have sometimes found that it depends very much on who was registering the death when it comes to Mary Ann or Mary., if it was a close relation, they would have known the correct form but if it was a friend or neighbour, they may have known her simply as Mary.

all shown as Mary
Mar ¼ 1863  Pancras  1b  40
Mar ¼   1864  Marylebone 1a  469
Dec ¼ 1865  Islington  1b  169 ?
June ¼ 1865   Pancras  1b  91
Mar ¼ 1866  Islington  1b  262  age 47

Hope this helps,

Meliora

RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Offline easy12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meliora,
                   thanks very much for the info and advice. A good point regarding the christian name registered under, I hadn't thought of that.
Thankyou once again
easy12 :)
Edwards-Sussex,USA
Temple-Middlesex

Offline David John Nation

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 November 10 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I've only just joined rootschat and was checking comment on Nation and saw yours! Some time ago, so maybe you've solved the mystery by now. If it's of any help, Mary Ann Skinner Nation was bp 25.1.1832, noted born 1825, in Bridgewater. Parents were John and Mary Ann Nation.

No connection with my line, as far as I know.

Best wishes

David Nation
Nation family

Offline easy12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 November 10 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
             many thanks for your post. I have yet to get anywhere significant with this line although I did look at Mary Ann Skinner as Mary Ann Nation's mother. I am actually descended from George Phillips's second marriage but the name Arthur Albert , son of George Phillips and Mary Ann Nation, has passed down through the families with theirs being the first, lost at sea I believe, then my great uncle ( killed on the Somme ) and then my late father.
   Thanks again for your attention on this topic and if you find out anything else I would be grateful to hear.
Many thanks
Dave
Edwards-Sussex,USA
Temple-Middlesex

Offline Harrys Mum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 February 11 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I've just found this thread.  Mary Ann Skinner married John Nation 5th July 1804 Broomfield, Somerset.
Their son, John, baptised 16th April 1815 was my gg grandfather.  I'd love to hear from anyone else in the family.

Libby.

Offline easy12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Libby,
             sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Well here goes. My Mary Ann Nation b c1826 in or around Bridgewater married my 3xgreatgrandfather George Phillips in London where I believe they were both in Domestic service. Later George was in domestic service whilst Mary Ann ran a lodging house and at that time they had a son Arthur Albert Phillips. It would appear that Mary died ( I do not know the circumstances ) as George and Arthur travel to Brighton and George remarries ( marriage Cert shows him as a widower) and he and the new wife set up a Lodging House. Mary Ann's mother, Mary Ann Skinner, is really a calculated guess on my part and not based on any fact. The copy of the mothers christian names led me to think that this was a possibility and John Nation followed on from that. Mary Ann Nation and her fate are still a mystery to me as is her history and also Arthur Alberts fate who is thought to have died at sea. I am descended from the son of George Phillips and his second wife. My interest here is that the name Arthur Albert was taken up by his half brother Walter ( my great grandfather ) who named a son after him, who was subsequently killed on the Somme, and by my grandfather who named my father Arthur Albert. He must have been highly thought of for the name to follow through the generations.
 Any info that you may dig up on this line would be greatly appreciated.

All of the very best
Dave
Edwards-Sussex,USA
Temple-Middlesex