Author Topic: Number 4 Dagger lane Kingston upon Hull  (Read 18461 times)

Offline dennis dominator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Number 4 Dagger lane Kingston upon Hull
« on: Wednesday 09 January 08 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Just out of a matter of interest, could anyone tell me if the above address was in the past a public house.

The reason i ask is whilst out for a walk around Hull's old town i came upon this building and the outside of the building suggests it was a pub and a quite large one at that. It looks like it has been empty for a good number of years now but could still be in use for something[maybe storage] as all the windows are still there although no sign if life was seen but it is not boarded up.

Kind Regards,
D.D
Clark's of hull and Birkenhead and Davies of hull and Northampton

Offline Nick1

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Number 4 Dagger lane Kingston upon Hull
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, Have found this   6 Dagger Lane in 1892 Ward as a Victualer Society Tavern

Hope this helps
nick
Nicholls Bridlington
Pashby Flickton
Johnson Beverley
Warcup Flamborough

Offline dennis dominator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick1

Yeh that does help as i said it looks like it was a big pub and looks like now it has maybe been split in two as the number 4 sign was in one of the windows of the building with number 4 dagger lane handwritten  so it's original address would have most probably been 6 Dagger lane.

Thanks for that Nick1

Kind Regards,
 d.d
Clark's of hull and Birkenhead and Davies of hull and Northampton

Offline Nick1

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help d.d.

Nick
Nicholls Bridlington
Pashby Flickton
Johnson Beverley
Warcup Flamborough

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
as an ex Hullensian I can't remember Dagger Lane so I was curious enough to look on GENUKI at the Hull trade section in 1834 and who was occupying the lane in 1892.   I'd heard there were over 400 pubs in Hull at one time and from the looks of it, the old timers could have been right  ;D    I can't see anyone living at No.4 - this number seems to have been allocated for a little cul ce sac (Providence Court)

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/Hull/Hull34Dry.html

Hull Trades and Professions by Alphabetical Street (1892)

HULL in Pigot's Directory of 1834
Ratcliffe's Hospital, Dagger lane
3 Dagger lane, Elias Eliza, Stay Makers
Gleadow Robert Ward, Brewers & Maltsters, 6 Dagger la

To London, Nottingham, Birmingham, Lincoln, Cambridge, and all parts of the South, Deacon, Nicholson & Co.'s Waggons (by way of New Holland) --- John Catterson, agent, Dagger lane, and Wilson and Watton's Waggons --- George Ashton and Charles Marshall, agents, both every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
To York, Leeds, & Manchester, Ann Wilson's waggons, from Dagger lane, every Tuesday & Friday

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/ERY/Hull1892StreetsD.html

Hull Trades and Professions by Alphabetical Street (1892)
Dagger lane (Posterngate to Mytongate) 

Ratcliffe's Hospital, Dagger lane
3 Dagger lane, Elias Eliza, Stay Makers
4 here is Providence court (see under Street Names beginning with P)
 6 Ward Robt., victualer, Society Tavern
 7 Linsley Thomas & Co., beer merchants
 9 Saul Saml., victualer, Plumbers' Arms
9½ Bogg Charles Harrison, shopkeeper
10 Stewart Wm. Thos., bird dealer
11 and 12 Shaw John & Son, provision merchants
13 Bogg John, coal dealer
     Linsley Thos. & Co., warehouse
21 Winter Mrs. Sophia, shopkeeper
22 Boy and Barrel
     Winn G. & T., bakers
27 Kaplan Mendal, tailor
here is Page's square
     Gilyotts Wm. & Co.'s warehouse
29 Reynolds James, shopkeeper
     Linsley Thos. & Co.'s warehouse
     Mason S. B., spirit bond
     Linsley Thos. & Co., bottling stores
--
Cheers,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline rootchat01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 September 08 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am a new the family search thing so was casting around vaguely for The Society Tavern, 6 Dagger Lane because I have a close ancestor about whom I know nothing except that in 1881 and 1891 census he was the publican at the Society Tavern. Name of Fessel. No 'previous' whatsoever and only vague  'subsequent'  although there are others of that name in Sculcoates.
Now at least I know the place did exist. Thanks.

LH
Essex

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 September 08 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I had a look on the historical directories site and entered "Fessel" in the keyword section.    Unfortunately only 2 Hull directories showed in the results and both of these were covered by the 1881 and 1891 census.   Henry Fessel would have had trade from the Warehouses and barges sailing on the River Hull and the shipyard business from the River Humber.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

From the website www.familysearch.org  the surname Fessel appears to originate on mainland Europe with the exception of one baptism in England during the 1600's.

The following Yorkshire free bmd website shows Johann Heinrich Christian Fessel married Dorothea Sophia Linnert in 1856.  Possibly he worked his way up from the bottom before he got his own ale licence.   It looks like you will have to be very imaginative in your thinking/spelling to find him in an earlier census.   

http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/

A short sail down the River Humber is the port of Grimsby and I've noticed that my family moved between the two ports, probably following work.

good luck,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 September 08 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi LH,
You will find publican Henry was born in Saxony and has the surname spelling of "Fissell" in the 1871 Hull census.

He's also in the Hull 1861 census with the trade of master tailor.

I'll P.M. you

Cheers,
Rena

Offline North Country Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 September 08 11:30 BST (UK) »

The article below is taken from the book Hull and East Yorkshire Breweries (1997)

Thomas Ward expanded the Dagger Lane Brewery in 1782 which had probably been established earlier. Thomas handed the business over to his son, John, in 1795 and the following year Thomas died. When John died in 1814 his sisters, An and mary, inherited the brewery. Mary married Robert Gledow, shipbuilder, in 1796. Their son, Robert Ward Gledhow took over the brewery when his father died in 1826. R. W. Gledhow took W. T. Dibb into parternership in 1846. The brewery closed then, Gledhow, Dibb and Co built a new brewery in Silvester Street in 1868 (which became Hull Brewery)

Also, in the book a History of hull Brewery 1782-1985 (1990) states that although the brewery has long since been demolished, the brick arched cellars underneath the present development could have formed part of the brewery. Alos featured in the book is a map of the area, showing the brwery on the corner of Posterngate and Dagger Lane.

Ian
Researching:<br /><br />Olsen - Sweden/South Wales/Hull<br />Coates - East Yorkshire/Hull<br />Latus - Hull/Kings Lynn/Kent/Hampshire/Middlesborough<br />
Bradley-Nottinghamshire/Oldcoates
Dearing - Hull/East Yorkshire/Halifax<br />Murphy - Dublin/Hull
England - Pontefract
Cave - Pontefeact/Doncaster
Walker - Devon/Hull