Author Topic: Marriages St Peters Levenshulme - Gallimore Stinchcombe, McGibbon Hartley  (Read 9008 times)

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage registers for St Peters Levenshulme?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 January 08 15:00 GMT (UK) »
nice one barbara.

mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages St Peters Levenshulme - Gallimore Stinchcombe, McGibbon Hartley
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 January 08 12:36 GMT (UK) »
The Rev Ireland very kindly sent me a photocopy of the register page I was interested in: for anyone else's benefit, two marriage details as follows from St Peter's C o E church, Levenshulme:

December 31st 1882
Samuel GALLIMORE, 21, bachelor, occ Shunter. Father Robert GALLIMORE, Tailor
Alice STINCHCOMBE, 20, spinster, no occupation. Father Matthew STINCHCOMBE, Watchman

Samuel signed, Alice made her mark. Witnesses Matthew Stinchcombe & Matilda Stinchcombe

January 1st 1883
John McGIBBON, 22, bachelor, occ "Collar Maker" . Father William McGIBBON, Labourer
Margaret HARTLEY, 19, no occupation. Father Samuel HARTLEY, rope maker

Both signed register. Witnesses John Hartley & Elizabeth Ann hughes

Rector for both marriages was Edmund or Edward C Hore.

John McGibbon's occupation is recorded as "collar maker" but in the 1881 census he is a "colour mixer". Possibly an example of what can happen when a Scotsman talks to a Mancunian   ;D ;D

Hope these are useful.

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 January 08 15:53 GMT (UK) »
The Rev Ireland very kindly sent me a photocopy of the register page I was interested in: for anyone else's benefit, two marriage details as follows from St Peter's C o E church, Levenshulme:

December 31st 1882
Samuel GALLIMORE, 21, bachelor, occ Shunter. Father Robert GALLIMORE, Tailor
Alice STINCHCOMBE, 20, spinster, no occupation. Father Matthew STINCHCOMBE, Watchman

Samuel signed, Alice made her mark. Witnesses Matthew Stinchcombe & Matilda Stinchcombe

January 1st 1883
John McGIBBON, 22, bachelor, occ "Collar Maker" . Father William McGIBBON, Labourer
Margaret HARTLEY, 19, no occupation. Father Samuel HARTLEY, rope maker

Both signed register. Witnesses John Hartley & Elizabeth Ann hughes

Rector for both marriages was Edmund or Edward C Hore.

John McGibbon's occupation is recorded as "collar maker" but in the 1881 census he is a "colour mixer". Possibly an example of what can happen when a Scotsman talks to a Mancunian   ;D ;D

Hope these are useful.

hiya barbara.
i didnt want to post this till you confirmed that john was one of yours.
john+margaret had a son called harry.
harry was killed in action on 4-10-1917,while serving with the 22nd manchester regt.
something happened to margaret,[divorce/death]because john remarried,his new wife was called mary,e mcgibbon.
harrys name is on st.marks church memorial,but not on the towns.
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mack
I'd seen Harry's name on the CWGC lists when I was looking for a different McGibbon, but it didn't register at the time  ::) 

Margaret Hartley's family lived somewhere called 'Shiers Bridge' which I've never heard of before. Off 'Smiths Yard' which I think was Stockport Rd near the Railway pub?
Was hoping for a minute there that I'd found a name for the 'Street with No Name' but no, it's the wrong side of Albert Rd  ;D

Barbara

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 February 08 05:44 GMT (UK) »
hiya barbara.
coincidentally,theres another person looking for someone who lived at the same address in smiths yard.
HERE.
1901 census lookups,by hwlambert
they were looking for mark oldham[he was also killed in the war.

i agree with your leve geography,i too think it was near the railway,possibly in the ginnell between the paint shop+the verandah.

mack

Offline sunnyfarmgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 March 09 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barbara
I am looking for information about the parents of John McGibbon in Levenshulme who was born in Lennoxtown about 1860. I see you have a possible link to your John in Hulme and /or David in Newton, but I can’t find evidence that they are the same family in Scotland. I can’t find John’s father William in the previous generation. Could you please tell me what makes the connection. :)
I am new to Rootschat and you are my first contact so I hope I pressed the right buttons.
Thanks for any help you can give me
Sunnyfarmgirl

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sunny, welcome to Rootschat  :D :D :D

I'm afraid I have to disappoint you, as it turned out I was wrong about this John being connected to the other two - or at least, if there is a connection I haven't found the right one yet.

I revisit this one every so often as it niggles me that I can't pin down his father. According to Scotlands People there was no John McGibbon born in Lennoxtown, but I wonder if he was misunderstood and actually said Lanarkshire.. (my gt grandfather David was supposed to be from Banff, but I think he actually said Barony Glasgow  ;D)

From Scotlands People (I dare say you have done this too?) I have a list of 10 births for John McGibbon 1858-1862. I checked five of the most likely ones and the father was not William.
I also got five marriages for the name William McGibbon between 1845 and 1862 - four in Lanarkshire, one in Renfrewshire - but I haven't looked at the full records for them yet.

If you want to compare notes further, I'd love to solve this mystery!

Best wishees
Barbara

Offline sunnyfarmgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 March 09 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara
Thanks for that info.  :)I suspected there wasn't a connection as I am on the trail of another possibility due to the convention of naming children after members of the previous generation. John & Margaret named their 1st 3 children John William ( paternal grandfather and father ) Samuel ( maternal grandfather) and Georgina ( probably paternal grandmother)

I found a William McGibney married to Georgina McKay in Campsie 1858. They had a son John in Sept 1859. In the 1861 census the name is spelt McGibnie , in 1871 it was spelt McGibboney and 1881 McGibbony. The other confusing part was in the 1871 census Georgina is not there and husband William and son John are living with William’s parents. In this census John is described as son not of William but of the grandparents. By 1881 William and John have left Campsie. John, I think, to Manchester as McGibbon. His father William I can’t find.
This family came from Ireland but I have no information at all as to which part.
That’s all the story for now.
Thanks again for your reply.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 March 09 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If your McGibbons came from Ireland, I would say they are definitely not linked to mine. So far I've traced my McGibbons back to one who was in Linlithgow, Scotland in 1800 and a possible father for him in Linlithgow before that.

Have you seen your John's entry in the 1881 census yet? he is already in Levenshulme (spelled Mc  Gibbon with a space between Mc and Gibbon!) living on Barlow Lane, so probably working at the printworks.  No sign of his father though

Good luck!
 :) Barbara