Author Topic: Kirk sessions, Forgue  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Kathykins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirk sessions, Forgue
« on: Thursday 10 January 08 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm quite interested in getting a look at the Kirk Sessions from Forgue for 1833-5. My great great grandfather was born there, to George Morrison and Jessie Taylor, and the OPR baptism says both were unmarried. I've been told there might be a reprimand or mention of it in the Kirk Sessions, but I don't know where to get hold of these.

I emailed the National Archives in Edinburgh, but they said I would have to go and look myself. Being in Devon that's quite a challenge! ::)

Any ideas?

Offline cattiemckay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kirk sessions, Forgue
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 08 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You are right - the only place to find the Kirk Session records are in the NAS which I appreciate is miles away from you!  I am writing a book about the parish of Forgue and its estabished and free churches and will be going down to the NAS sometime soon to look at the session records.  Perhaps you can give me some more info and I will be able to look for you when I am there.

Hope this is of some help

cattie

Offline Kathykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 January 08 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cattie,

That would be great - thank you! What information would you need? If you let me know I'll pm you with it.

The book sounds fascinating - best of luck with it. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Kathy

Offline cattiemckay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 January 08 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hiya

I'll need full names, addresses and approx date.  It's fascinating finding these entries and Forgue ones are no exception. One couple went to see the Session, she was told off for being pregnant - he got off as he was the Session Clerk and they came out of the meeting married!  Ho hum.  If you need any photos as well - church, farm etc just let me know.

Cattie

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 January 08 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cattie,

I'll be keeping an eye out for your book too...I have Mitchells who lived in Forgue between 1817 and 1867...good luck  :)

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk